What games have I missed!?

marvin_rock

CAG Veteran
So here's my story. I just built my very first PC! It currently is serving as an HTPC for the lady friend, and I also beefed it up enough to game (she also wanted to be able to play Diablo 3 on it). Many many moons ago, I went console gaming, and haven't looked back. Since that time I haven't had a PC capable of playing games. Now that I do that, what do I get!?

The first two on my list are
BioShock 1 (I know it's on PS3, but I refuse to pay more than $10 for it, and I just scooped it up for $5 for PC)
Magicka - I bought a while ago at $2.50 because my best friend played it, and I thought I could get it to work on low settings... I was wrong

I'm reaching out to the community here, what should I try? Looking for older games that I can find for less than $10 if possible. Thinking about Deus Ex Human Rev for PC, I've played most of the big titles on my PS3 already - Portal 2, Batman Arkham City. I enjoy single player adventure type games (Uncharted/AC:brotherhood/Batman/Etc) I am TERRIBLE at RTS, but I LOVE turn based strategy (advance wars type), not interested in Sims of any sort.

Where would you start!?

I guess witcher 2 if u haven't played that on xbox already. Skyrim(has mods) there's a couple of cool indie games that are neat and anyone can run them Lone Survivor, MacGuffin's Curse, Swords and Sworcery EP. Half life 2 (for awesome mods) torchlight 2(when it comes out). U can find lots of cool games on steam. Diablo is so addicting btw and awesome. Maybe get minecraft on pc. I love it on xbox really addicting too. I'm selling some steam games(Dustforce, FEAR 3, Metro2033 and more). I heard super mnc is kinda fun and its free to play.

Super Meat Boy is really good if you have not played it on 360/ps3 yet; also or will be on sale today on steam.

The first Witcher game is really gpod and is only $10 on steam or cheaper other places probably.

Amnesia is a really good horror adventure game.

The Binding of Issac is a neat indie game that many people will recommend to you.

Team Fortress 2 is now Free to play via steam and is a really good FPS.

[quote name='clonesniper666']Super Meat Boy is really good if you have not played it on 360/ps3 yet; also or will be on sale today on steam.

The first Witcher game is really gpod and is only $10 on steam or cheaper other places probably.

Amnesia is a really good horror adventure game.

The Binding of Issac is a neat indie game that many people will recommend to you.

Team Fortress 2 is now Free to play via steam and is a really good FPS.[/QUOTE]

I *DID* get to play Super Meat Boy while I was house-sitting and LOVED it. I got it in one of the Indie Bundles and will put that on it tonight most likely, now that I have an actual controller, I might be able to make it past the salt level. Pretty sure I got Binding of Isaac in one of the indie bundles too (I scoop up the pay what you want bundles, put all the DRM free .exe's on a disc and gave it to my gamer friends for Xmas last year!

[quote name='marvin_rock']I *DID* get to play Super Meat Boy while I was house-sitting and LOVED it. I got it in one of the Indie Bundles and will put that on it tonight most likely, now that I have an actual controller, I might be able to make it past the salt level. Pretty sure I got Binding of Isaac in one of the indie bundles too (I scoop up the pay what you want bundles, put all the DRM free .exe's on a disc and gave it to my gamer friends for Xmas last year![/QUOTE]

That's what I do I usually, buy the bundles even if I have no interest in the games but lately most of the bundles have been terrible IMO. If I can think of any more PC games that were exclusive or better on PC then I will post them.

Crysis,
Hard Reset
Total War Shogun
Heroes of might and magic
warhammer-dawn of war
world in conflict
sins of a solar empire
star wars empire at war
cryostasis
STALKER
Starcraft
civilization 5
Stronghold-crusader

Are you into MMOs? WoW is a great place to start, there's a free trial on their site. League of Legends is really fun too if you like point and click competitive multiplayer stuff. Diablo 3 is of course amazing and StarCraft 2 is awesome and the campaign isn't too hard on lower difficulty settings. The steam summer sale should be starting up in a month or so as well, many great deals to be had there!

Check out my list of free and legal PC games. Plenty of classic PC games have gone freeware that may be worth checking out along with indie games that are tons of fun.

Battle Of Wesnoth is a must for your TBS fix.

All I can do is recommend games I own.

CK64's MUST PLAY LIST OF PC GAMES!
Quest For Glory 5: Dragon Fire
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Diablo 2
Metro 2033
Unreal Tournament 2k4
Titan Quest
Gothic 2
Heroes of Newerth/DotA 2/League of Legends
Chantelise
Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena
Thief 2 + T2X
Dungeons Of Dredmor
Gemini Rue
Starcraft: Brood Wars
Guild Wars
Vindictus
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead
Might and Magic 6
Dungeon Siege 2
Trine
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Battlefield 1942+DC
Freespace 2
Cave Story
Nytt
King's Quest VII

There are of course thousands more but I consider these must plays.

[quote name='tcrash247']Are you into MMOs? WoW is a great place to start, there's a free trial on their site. League of Legends is really fun too if you like point and click competitive multiplayer stuff. Diablo 3 is of course amazing and StarCraft 2 is awesome and the campaign isn't too hard on lower difficulty settings. The steam summer sale should be starting up in a month or so as well, many great deals to be had there![/QUOTE]

Played the hell out of WoW during BC - second on my server to drop KJ! I can't go back to anything monthly though. Don't have enough time to commit to it.

@Megazell - I found a few on your list I'm looking into - currently PoxNora, but I only glanced over it

Watched my girlfriend spend the better part of the evening playing Diablo 3 and damn it looked boring. I don't see the appeal. Maybe I'm weird like that. I'll be spending this weekend FINALLY beating BioShock!
[quote name='crystalklear64']All I can do is recommend games I own.

CK64's MUST PLAY LIST OF PC GAMES!
[Large list of awesome - scroll up to see]

There are of course thousands more but I consider these must plays.[/QUOTE]

Is Left4Dead worth it on single player? $Is either L4D or L4D2's multiplayer base still active? $I've been wanting to try that one!

Loved Trine on PS3, just picked up Trine 2 for free thanks to PS+. $I'm' going to look over this list quite a bit, I see a few that I agree were great (also played a ton of the Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light on my PS3)

Thanks everyone for your great responses. Feel free to keep them coming if anything has been missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Megazell']Check out my list of free and legal PC games. Plenty of classic PC games have gone freeware that may be worth checking out along with indie games that are tons of fun.

Battle Of Wesnoth is a must for your TBS fix.[/QUOTE]

thanx mega theres some cool shit in there :bouncy:

If you like Turn Based Strategies, have you ever looked into the Civilization games? You cited Advance War as a favorite, so I'll also suggest the Company of Heroes series (though it isn't really Turn Based).

Diablo 3 and the genre it birthed (Action RPG/Clickfest RPG), is actually a really good genre. If you have ever played the Dark Alliance series from way back when, you'd have a fairly close point of comparison. If you ever want to try out the Genre, I suggest trying out Torchlight.

If you want to keep your PC gaming habit on the cheap side, then I suggest checking out this site's numerous threads on PC games deals (PC games are generally cheaper than console games, and you'd usually see sales on 'older' games ranging from 50-90% off), and the site isthereanydeal, since that's were I usually find the best deals on instant downloads.

And don't forget Megazell's thread. I have found some awesome gems in there for the nice price of free.

Oh, and play Team Fortress 2. Lots of Team Fortress 2.

In regards to Team Fortress 2 what control setup do you guys use? I originally was introduced to this game by the "Orange Box" for 360 and after seeing the pc version get all the cool stuff and more abilities (I really wish Deadringer was on the 360 version lol ) and decided to try it out. All in all the game is awesome on pc it just feels like the movement is so horrid to me.

Just a heads up, but if you're looking to score some games you missed on the cheap, the Steam summer sale is coming up in about a month. Keep your eyes on the Steam thread. We'll help you out with daily deals and the big sales. Just have your wallet ready for a raping.

[quote name='Action Bastard']In regards to Team Fortress 2 what control setup do you guys use? I originally was introduced to this game by the "Orange Box" for 360 and after seeing the pc version get all the cool stuff and more abilities (I really wish Deadringer was on the 360 version lol ) and decided to try it out. All in all the game is awesome on pc it just feels like the movement is so horrid to me.[/QUOTE]

I keep to the Vanila WASD control scheme (aka, standard FPS keyboard+mouse). I know a lot of hardcore players out there would actually load custom keybinds/macros to give them a competitive edge (Engineer Players, I'm looking at you). I haven't tried the gamepad setup, and honestly I have no drive to.

This may be of interest to you. It's a solid TBS.

[quote name='Megazell']
Free Retail PC Gaming Awesomness

Disciples II Gold Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jG8OFIOZO4

Not long to go until the end of our second birthday promotion, so in addition to continuing massive daily discounts we're giving out Disciples II: Gold Edition for free. This offer is available until Saturday 0900 UTC 26th May.

Get It Here - http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/disciples-ii-gold-edition/
[/QUOTE]

If you did not play Portal then that is a must have, especially if you can get it on the cheap. The ending alone is worth the price.

Dungeon Defenders - it's different and better to play with friends/others.
Plants vs Zombies - hilarious
The Legend of Grimrock - throwback RPG
Half Life & Half Life 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Serious Sam HD: First and Second encounters - completely over the top
Serious Sam 3: BFE

I'm terrible at RTS so I share your frustration with them.

There are so many good games to catch up on PC, it is ridiculous. I have hundreds I want to get to eventually..though some will never happen. Just not enough time in the day.

bread's done
Back