What genres do you want to see combined?

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
What two game genres would you like to see combined into one game? This has been done rarely and games in development are being made now (Henry Hatsworth, Godfather II, that new Sega RTS/FPS I can't think of, etc) that do this, but it is still wide open for possibilities.

I'd like to see the city building genre blended with RPG's more intensely, with a touch of RTS. I think this was done in Landstalker?, Dark Cloud 1&2. But I'd like to see it developed further where you need to build part of a world and defend it from evil while pursuing the enemy.

I envision you needing to gather resources, build various type of buildings, and keep track of what your citizens need. While also being able to obtain resources in RPG like quests, unlocking new building types by gaining knowledge, freeing citizens, finding loot, etc.

The enemy would attack you, sometimes when you're at home, sometimes when questing. You would ultimately need to keep the city functioning long enough for you to reach the final boss.

I'd love to see a first-person shooter with JRPG aesthetics. :)
I think that would be cool-- even as someone not anime-centric.

survival horror games set in open sandbox worlds with rpg ( leveling up skills with use) aspects. a fighting game with real 3d fighting and rpg aspects would be cool too. the fight night series is the only one imo that has stepped up its game with each new version. round 3 is very fun to play and challenging. its the only fighting game you cant button mash your way to victory on.

id also like to see games refrain from using the unreal engine and go for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western RPGs and FPS (or third person shooting).

Basically Mass Effect or Fallout 3 with the combat as fluid as a great shooter (to be fair I've not played Fallout 3 yet, so just going on reviews and videos). Love WRPGs, but the combat tends to stink.

[quote name='lokizz']survival horror games set in open sandbox worlds with rpg ( leveling up skills with use) aspects. a fighting game with real 3d fighting and rpg aspects would be cool too. the fight night series is the only one imo that has stepped up its game with each new version. round 3 is very fun to play and challenging. its the only fighting game you can button mash your way to victory on.

id also like to see games refrain from using the unreal engine and go for something else.[/quote]
I really really like all of these ideas.

racing game + survival horror.... u get to run zombies over

they need to have a GTA game with like..........
mmorpg aspects

where u can like buy land and houses and then have gangs and crews

that would be sick!!!!!

just imagine san andreas and u got real gangs and crews and rich ass mofos where u can rob and burn down houses........

oo yeah imagine the controversy but how popular the game would be and how fun it would be........

people could start off making money
delivering pizzas and being taxi drivers........

its pretty interesting how everyone wants rpg elements in diff game types but it makes sense. especially with games where you can create your own characters. san andreas did a pretty good job of starting that. it was kinda limited but in the end you felt more like the person you were using was your character.

another i want to see more of is more action oriented rpgs like KH1 but on a bigger scale and with branching possibilities. its always fun to see how doing this or this can change the overall game experience.

ive always wished the robotech series got the mmorpg treatment.

we need to have........gta where u can blow up buildings instead of just vehicles.
u should be able to do what u do in simcity!

except have it 3d and u can become a civilian walking around in the city you created while godzilla is attacking that would be wicked fun and funny

Mass Effect was the best third person shooting combination with RPG I've seen. I never saw a combination like that being that good. I feel like it set a new standard for games like Oblivion.

I'd like to see a MMORPG Survival-Horror game using over the shoulder third person view. Instead of leveling up, you get upgrades and new weapons and access to new areas based on your ability to survive areas. I don't think the game should have PVP as it tends to aggravate hostility between players.

[quote name='Furashu']I would like to see mgs4 gameplay with rpg elements......[/quote]

YES! Having just played that game I totally agree.

RTS + Rape Sim

[quote name='pete5883']I think they should combine puzzle games and fighter games into some sort of "Puzzle Fighter."[/quote]
:lol:

Coop racing game where two people control the same car, whoever turns harder, breaks faster, or accels faster slightly overpowers the other person controlling, yet you're both still in control. Guess this doesn't include two genres so also throw in rail shooting into it as well.

There was an old namco arcade called lucky and someone I think that had something like that actually.

i think an FPS RPG would be phenominal. Fallout 3 was ok, but obviously wasn't focused on the shooter experience. A real in-depth FPS with RPG leveling-up and what not would make a really great game I think.

[quote name='under_scorer']i think an FPS RPG would be phenominal. Fallout 3 was ok, but obviously wasn't focused on the shooter experience. A real in-depth FPS with RPG leveling-up and what not would make a really great game I think.[/QUOTE]

Yep, if done right. Again, basically just Fallout 3 or Mass Effect (for the third person route) with more solid shooter gameplay.

Just makes sense to me. But of course FPS and WRPGs are pretty much all I like and play these days....

GTA Turf War + Modern city building simulator

Not "genres", but Dynasty Warriors + Total War = ???OMGWTFAWESOME. And I don't mean Spartan: Total Warrior.. think bigger.

I don't know that it counts as a genre, but I would love to see the combat of Condemned combined with the platforming of Mirror's edge. I thought that's what they should have done with the combat in the original Mirror's Edge, getting rid of guns altogether (or at least mostly). Both games really give the player a sense of an actual physical self reacting with the enviroment and enemies.

Before Fallout 3 I would have requested an Oblivion type game and a FPS. Now I can't think of anything I really want to see.

I would like to see a platformer / RPG hybrid. What I mean by this is a platformer wherein you have to build different skills in order to advance the game, i.e., you can't get to certain platforms until you have a lvl. 7 jump skill, you need to build up strength to a certain level to move obstacles, you can build up an awareness stat that would perhaps reveal new paths/items or eventually turn into a perspective shift ability a la Fez and echochrome. It would have multiple paths in each level, allowing people that level up differently to get through levels in different ways.

[quote name='J7.']I'd like to see the city building genre blended with RPG's more intensely, with a touch of RTS. I think this was done in Landstalker?, Dark Cloud 1&2. But I'd like to see it developed further where you need to build part of a world and defend it from evil while pursuing the enemy.

I envision you needing to gather resources, build various type of buildings, and keep track of what your citizens need. While also being able to obtain resources in RPG like quests, unlocking new building types by gaining knowledge, freeing citizens, finding loot, etc.

The enemy would attack you, sometimes when you're at home, sometimes when questing. You would ultimately need to keep the city functioning long enough for you to reach the final boss.[/quote]

Have you played Actraiser?

[quote name='javeryh']Have you played Actraiser?[/quote]
Think I confused it with Landstalker! Haven't played it but I read that it had you build buildings and stuff while being an RPG.

[quote name='kidu']I would like to see a platformer / RPG hybrid. What I mean by this is a platformer wherein you have to build different skills in order to advance the game, i.e., you can't get to certain platforms until you have a lvl. 7 jump skill, you need to build up strength to a certain level to move obstacles, you can build up an awareness stat that would perhaps reveal new paths/items or eventually turn into a perspective shift ability a la Fez and echochrome. It would have multiple paths in each level, allowing people that level up differently to get through levels in different ways.[/quote]
:applause:

[quote name='J7.']Think I confused it with Landstalker! Haven't played it but I read that it had you build buildings and stuff while being an RPG.[/quote]

It's not really an RPG - it's more of a simcity/platformer hybrid. It's very cool - especially for the time. I haven't played it in almost 20 years... maybe it's time to give it another shot...

[quote name='kidu']I would like to see a platformer / RPG hybrid. What I mean by this is a platformer wherein you have to build different skills in order to advance the game, i.e., you can't get to certain platforms until you have a lvl. 7 jump skill, you need to build up strength to a certain level to move obstacles, you can build up an awareness stat that would perhaps reveal new paths/items or eventually turn into a perspective shift ability a la Fez and echochrome. It would have multiple paths in each level, allowing people that level up differently to get through levels in different ways.[/QUOTE]

The closest you will likely find to this right now is Crackdown on the Xbox 360. It's a fantastic game, and by the time you've powered up your jump all the way and can leap from building to building it's an amazing experience. I'd love to see a more traditional platformer done in this manner.

bread's done
Back