What happened to the camera?

Chris in Cali

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (88%)
I thought the Xbox 360 was supposed to come with a 1.3 mega-pixel camera for video messaging? Now I don't see it included in the "premium version," or as a purchasable accessory. What happened to it?

It's still listed as an Xbox Live accessory, but I don't think it will be released at launch. Real-time video chat, video messages, "put your face in the game," etc. is all there.

Last thing I want for XBL is a camera. People will put penises on the heads of their Halo characters and their assholes on the hoods of their PGR or Forza cars.

Please MS, leave the camera out. We have enough douchebags online as it is.

20050314l.jpg

it prob wont happen, I still remember all the heat that they got for perfect dark camera option that never materialized. Especially with all the heat games are getting right now, games dont need the ability to put people u dont like's faces on a fps and blow their brains out

[quote name='CheapyD']I remember hearing that was going to be released in Japan first...I think.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox version demoed at E3 a couple years ago has been available in Japan for a while. There was far more interest there in using a console for this sort of thing, while in the US just about anyone who cares would use a PC. Another reason for using Japan as a test market is that while the Xbox installed base is tiny the Xbox Live subscriber is very high among those owners and the small Xbox community there tends to know each other.

The 360 camera accessory probably won't have its software bundle ready until well after the 'launch window' they like to reference, so talking it up now would be a needless distraction, especially if they aren't entirely sure yet how they want to push it. Should the primary thrust be non-game apps or should it be an EyeToy-like game accessory foremost is probably still being argued. I'd say throw it all out there and let the consumers show what they find more interesting.

As far as the live in-game content is concerned, it'd be no harder than putting a "parental password" to enable and disable custom faces and custom whatever else in the game from the dashboard.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']it prob wont happen, I still remember all the heat that they got for perfect dark camera option that never materialized. Especially with all the heat games are getting right now, games dont need the ability to put people u dont like's faces on a fps and blow their brains out[/QUOTE]

This is offered through EyeToy on several PS2 games and it has yet to attract much attention. The Perfect Dark issue was a tempest in a teapot. The real issue was that the GameBoy Camera was extremely low res and the appearance in the game of faces was pretty poor in the E3 demo. Considering that users would have had to have the GameBoy, the camera, and the Transfer Pak, it worked out to be way more trouble than it was worth.

As well, doing this on the PC is trivial for many popular games but it has largely evaded the bluenoses' attention.

I like the idea of the camera, and "putting yourself in the game." I'd love to have a wrestling game with a CAW feature that I can make myself. Video messaging and chat seems really cool to me too. I'm not really worried about the idiots that will use the camera for crude jokes, I'm not easily offended, and I actually think it's amusing.

I think it's much worse when idiots get on the mic and yell random curse words and lame insults, because that is actually distracting. The wang picture in game is just more annoying, but ignorable.

I finally got a myspace (since my friends have nagged me to get one) and I sent you a friend invite thing, Chris. I really like the music on the site btw.

Also, I realize my myspace account is bare but I registered it about 10 minutes ago so it lacks content.

[quote name='valor19']I finally got a myspace (since my friends have nagged me to get one) and I sent you a friend invite thing, Chris. I really like the music on the site btw.

Also, I realize my myspace account is bare but I registered it about 10 minutes ago so it lacks content.[/QUOTE]

ha ha, Myspace snags another one. I'll add you, Myspace can actually be pretty cool, but man are there an insane amount of superficial people on there.

bread's done
Back