What Is A Good DVD Ripper?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I'm just wondering this question since a bunch of my DVDs are getting to be pretty scratched up it seems. Anybody know of one? I have Nero on my computer and I know that it comes with a ripper as well, but is it any good?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I'm just wondering this question since a bunch of my DVDs are getting to be pretty scratched up it seems. Anybody know of one? I have Nero on my computer and I know that it comes with a ripper as well, but is it any good?[/QUOTE]

I almost exclusively use DVD Shrink. You can use it to remove extras and/or compress video to make a regular-length DVD fit on a DVD-R. It works like a charm, too.

Use DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD, then use Nero Recode 2 to reburn the DVD. It allows you to pick compression ratios, remove unwanted content, etc, etc, etc. Very nice.

[quote name='evilmregg']I almost exclusively use DVD Shrink. You can use it to remove extras and/or compress video to make a regular-length DVD fit on a DVD-R. It works like a charm, too.[/QUOTE]

Same. I'm using it right now to backup Batman, the original film, and it took only 15 minutes.. some of my DVD's have taken longer. I backed up Star Wars yesterday and it took a whopping 90 minutes (!).. works like a charm.

How is AnyDVD? This is another program I have read about.

Also, just to be sure and get rid of the sligth uneasyness I feel, none of these rippers will ruin the actual disc/movie itself correct?

I use DVDDecrypter to rip the DVDs, and then DVDShrink to compress and pack them into an ISO.

For single layer discs, I use DVDDecrypter in ISO Read mode.

DVDShrink is great, especially the Deep Analysis option that better compresses the DVD. I used to use DVD2One way back, but Shrink has it beat by miles. Faster and better quality.

Plus, I use DVDShrink now when I just want the movie as well. Before, I had to strip with IFOEdit, get new VTS sectors, and all that crap. With Shrink it's quick and painless. Plus, I like the reauthor option. For my DVDs that have both WS and FS on one side, I put the WS movie first, and then have all the special features play after the movie. It's easier than learning a program to manually strip out the FS version while keeping the menus.

The best combination I've found for commercially released movies?

DVD Decrypter to rip to the hard drive.
VOB Blanker to get rid of anything you don't need (trailers for other movies, extra features you don't have any need for, and so on).
DVD Shrink to compress it to fit onto one disc.
Burning program of choice (Nero works just fine) to burn image to disc.

Of course, if you've got a double-layer burner and the discs to go with it, you don't need to compress or to remove things from the disc. It's also worth pointing out that VOB Blanker and DVD Shrink are both free. :)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']How is AnyDVD? This is another program I have read about.

Also, just to be sure and get rid of the sligth uneasyness I feel, none of these rippers will ruin the actual disc/movie itself correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. That's unpossible.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I think you mean impossible ;) unpossible is just.....unpossible.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the Simpsons reference.:lol:

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

I use DVD shrink because it is really easy and the only problem I ever had was with a scratched up disc that would not play during the last part except on my PC, it would freeze on all my dvd players.

Since I see so many recommendations for DVD Decrypter/Shrink, does anybody know of any sites where I can get the two. I have been able to find Shrink, but just not Decrypter it seems.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Since I see so many recommendations for DVD Decrypter/Shrink, does anybody know of any sites where I can get the two. I have been able to find Shrink, but just not Decrypter it seems.[/QUOTE]

Decrypter was put under a Cease and Desist order. So you won't readily find it. Perhaps ask a CAG to send you a copy?

Speaking of which I'd love one myself. Could anyone provide me a copy? I'd pay for it gladly ;)

Just use Shrink.

Decrypt just rips the DVD into raw files, with Shrink you can reauthor it to remove FBI warning screens and annoying menus :)

[quote name='989boi']How do I get rid of other unwanted extras with dvd shrink? All I can get rid of is just audio thats it.[/QUOTE]

Should be a tab called, "reauthor." Click that then drag and drop what you want to keep.

Thanks Valor19! I'm thinking about gettin some import asian movies soon. What program could I use to make my dvd drive region free? I know that I can manually change the region code but u only could change it 4 times before it becomes permanant. I want to make a copy of my import dvds so I can watch it on my dvd player instead of pc.

I'm thinking about gettin some import asian movies soon. What program could I use to make my dvd drive region free? I know that I can manually change the region code but u only could change it 4 times before it becomes permanant. I want to make a copy of my import dvds so I can watch it on my dvd player instead of pc.

i used to be able to play me european dvds fine on my pc with my old nec 3500 burner. when i upgraded to the 3520 it doesnt let me play them. I also checked in the device manager about changing regions but it says it will become permanent after 2 tries or w/e.

any suggestions?

So is DVD shrink good for making a direct single layer commercial single layer dvd to dvd-r burn? Because I have coach carter and i want to make a direct to dvd-r backup copy of it.

bread's done
Back