What is stopping some new company from just making an excellent video game store?

[quote name='Brian9824']Actually i got 3 copies of Persona 2, 2 copies of Persona, mutliple breath of fire games, a few Rhaspodies... Think most i paid was $4 per game

It's basically an issue of no one in the area wanted em because there isn't much of a market for em. It was great for me though.[/quote]

I find that the used market for retro games solely depends on the area.

The store I work at sounds really similar to how the OP would want a store, and I can guarantee you more than %50 of profit comes from NES, SNES and N64 titles and systems alone.

[quote name='mike.m']THey're stupid then. If they ever got audited they'd be screwed.[/quote]

They also tended to not check ID's and take ID#'s when taking in trade-ins, but since they've been broken into a number of times at their new location already, I think they changed that policy fairly quick.

[quote name='depascal22']If retro games made money, EB would still be selling them.[/quote]
Not really. It had to do with the fact that GameStops are generally built in small buildings and malls. Thus creating very limited space to have products ranging from bins to displays and what not. It's gotten to the point where GameCube and Xbox games have basically replaced the stands that DVDs took up.

Well, if they did away with gutting games and the employee 'hold drawers' in the Gamestop stores, they could keep the PS1 and prior gen games in boxes/bins under the counter like Gamecrazy does with their classic plastic.

Another reason is Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Every EB/GS has dedicated shelf space for stuff. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft only make money on new stuff. They want the PS3, Wii, and 360 display to be bigger then the old systems.

[quote name='djbooba']Another reason is Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Every EB/GS has dedicated shelf space for stuff. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft only make money on new stuff. They want the PS3, Wii, and 360 display to be bigger then the old systems.[/quote]

Generally they would've already made their money by selling their games to distributors or companies that have to buy whatever amount to keep in stock. That doesn't mean they aren't interested in companies dedicating shelf space to new games and what not.

[quote name='Tsukento']Not really. It had to do with the fact that GameStops are generally built in small buildings and malls. Thus creating very limited space to have products ranging from bins to displays and what not. It's gotten to the point where GameCube and Xbox games have basically replaced the stands that DVDs took up.[/quote]

So generally, corporate chooses the items that will make more money. I don't think NES and Dreamcast games fit into that category.

bread's done
Back