What is the best ACTION RPG?

David85

Banned
I hate turnbase RPGs, can't even play Golden Sun anymore because it drives me crazy. And then Skies of Arcadia was the worst battle system ever in a game and it makes it unplayable.

Recently I found Sword of Mana for the GBA for $8.25. Knew nothing about it, and luckily it turned out to be a great action RPG that I enjoyd until I played it at 2am and got lost. :)

Anyways I don't have any RPGs for the GC except for one that isn't really mine. But when I get my CD and Legos back he will get the game back. :)

So what are some Action RPGs you guys like for the GC? And the cheaper would be better. :)

*I don't know what FF:CC is but I hate the look of it, so don't bring it up. :)

Well there's Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1&2. But that might be boring for you after a while, since theirs really no story and the game involves around endless fighting.

Also X-Men legends which if alot of fun with multiple people. In my view it really isn't a RPG, but some people say it is just cause you level up and equip things. However the story, fighting and level are very linear, not like a typical RPG.

Tales of Symphonia is pretty damn good. It's very Final Fantasy-like in a broad context, but the battles are real time (although you control only one character directly).

I second Tales of Symphonia. Great game with good replay values. Story is full of twists (not extremely big ones, but big enough to change the direction of the story). The game starts out a little slow (for the first 8-10 hours), but then it picks up the pace.

X-Men Legends is also pretty good. The game is not as long as ToS (it's about 20 hours of game play). It was fun playing as your favorite X-Men (making Iceman a melee is great).

I'm not sure would some people count this, but Paper Mario is a semi-action RPG. You do have to do stuff for your attacks and dodges.

Likewise, I gotta agree and say that Tales of Symphonia is easily the best true 'RPG' on the GameCube. It does start out a little slow, but the story is massive and epic, it's about 40-60 hours of gameplay (depending on how much you care to explore), and best of all is the real-time battle system. I don't think I could ever play a turn-based RPG again after my experience with ToS.

X-Men Legends, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker are a few other ones you may want to look into, although I wouldn't classify them as 'true' RPGs.

I thought Skies of Arcadia did better than just a vanilla turn based battle system... Was it the randomness that bothered you? I think they upped the frequency of random battles on the GC, stupid thing to do.

Good luck finding anything outside of Tales of Symphonia, Baiten Kaitos, and Skies of Arcadia on the RPG front. Well, there is Evolution Worlds, but... I'm not sure we really want to go there.

Your best bet is the LOTR games, which actually made it to the GC. And Baldurs Gate. Maybe the Zelda's... Thats about all there is.

I can live with turn base RPGs, but in Skies of Arcadia the random battles were every 10 seconds and just when I started to figure out the flying boat, bam, some dumb fight would come up. What makes it worse is that I heard the DC version had more.

Card based are dumb too, doesn't feel fun when playing them.

Everyone seems to like ToS, so I'll probably buy that once the price drops, you know it will.

I was thinknig about the LotR because they are keep, but are they based on the book or the movie? You know hoe 99% of video games suck if they are based on a movie. :)

3D Zeldas are not RPGs anymore, they are just platform / adventure games with "slight" upgrading skills.

[quote name='David85']I can live with turn base RPGs, but in Skies of Arcadia the random battles were every 10 seconds and just when I started to figure out the flying boat, bam, some dumb fight would come up. What makes it worse is that I heard the DC version had more.

Everyone seems to like ToS, so I'll probably buy that once the price drops, you know it will.

I was thinknig about the LotR because they are keep, but are they based on the book or the movie? You know hoe 99% of video games suck if they are based on a movie. :)

3D Zeldas are not RPGs anymore, they are just platform / adventure games with "slight" upgrading skills.[/quote]

They are based on the movie and done very well. Unfortunatelly they do get a bit repetative. More of a hack and slash than RPG.

[quote name='David85']I can live with turn base RPGs, but in Skies of Arcadia the random battles were every 10 seconds and just when I started to figure out the flying boat, bam, some dumb fight would come up. What makes it worse is that I heard the DC version had more.

3D Zeldas are not RPGs anymore, they are just platform / adventure games with "slight" upgrading skills.[/quote]
I think the frequency was less on DC, I beat the game on DC, but I couldn't walk 3 feet without a battle on the GC. The loading time before a battle was reduced. I liked the actual battle system.

Pick up a Dreamcast, you'll have more RPG's there than you will on a GC, even though there aren't a ton. Grandia 2, Record of Lodoss War, Shenmue...

Odd that I can think of more Xbox RPG's than Gamecube or Dreamcast. Probably not true console RPG's but certainly more action oriented.

I have a DC, the games are just a pain to find. Plus my Virtua Tennis doesn't work!!!

Plus I'm not an RPG freak, I didn't even like them until recently. Mainly because I only tries turn base and card style.

Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance isn't too great IMO, but many poeple have enjoyed it, so you may like it too. If you had an Xbox I would go for Fable, but since you're looking for GC I would say ToS since I have heard nothing but good things about it.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='David85']I can live with turn base RPGs, but in Skies of Arcadia the random battles were every 10 seconds and just when I started to figure out the flying boat, bam, some dumb fight would come up. What makes it worse is that I heard the DC version had more.

I think the frequency was less on DC, I beat the game on DC, but I couldn't walk 3 feet without a battle on the GC. The loading time before a battle was reduced. I liked the actual battle system.

Pick up a Dreamcast, you'll have more RPG's there than you will on a GC, even though there aren't a ton. Grandia 2, Record of Lodoss War, Shenmue...

Odd that I can think of more Xbox RPG's than Gamecube or Dreamcast. Probably not true console RPG's but certainly more action oriented.[/quote]

It was my understanding that they toned down the random battles for the GC version. I know on the DC that the random battles were far too regular.

There's:

Paper Mario 2
Lord of the Rings: The 3rd Age
Evolution Worlds
Pokemon Colosseum
Megaman X: Command Mission

Also, Gladius is kind of like an RPG, and a lot of people enjoyed it.

Then, there's Future Tactics, which I enjoyed, but it's more a strategy/tactical.

Gauntlet is a hard to find, but fun old school hack and slash,.. with RPG elements, similar to FF:CC. Same with Mystic Heroes,... which is like KOEI Dynasy Warriors Jr, with a lot more magic!!

Baldur's Gate is actually REALLY good, if you've never played the PC version.

Cubivore is an evolutionary sim of sorts. Very addictive, and entertaining. If you can get past graphics, then you'll see Cubivore's true beauty.

Mortal Kombat: Deception is FREAKING SWEET!!!! If you're a MK fan,... you have to get this game!!! The Konquest mode is phenomenal!!!
I honestly haven't been so drawn into a fighting game in my life for more than a few minutes a day.
MK:D is excellent, and plays like an RPG!!

There are a few others.

Tales of Symphonia is old school, turn-based fluff.
It brings nothing new to the genre, and is subpar.
It's a good game,.... but I'd rather play a subpar PS1 RPG, then that hunk of recycled crap.
I do own it, I have played it,.... and in comparison to every other lame RPG, it fits right in.

Baten Kaitos is beautiful too,... but there are major gameplay flaws that make this game far from great. It's not your run of the mill RPG, but you may like PSOIII better.

PSO is superb!!! PSOIII is even better, if you can get past the cards, instead of a physical arsenal. Plays 100X better than Baten Kaitos, but not as pretty.

Sorry to hear you don't like Skies.
It is an excellent game.
I felt those nostalgic, Final Fantasy 7 vibes while playing it.
YES,... the random encounters are a plenty,.. but you need them. Later in the game,.. you'll be able to fly above random encounters. By then, you should have seen so much of the game, to not even mind them.

Everyone's different though.

Well,.. good luck, and have fun.
:)

[quote name='drone8888']

Mortal Kombat: Deception is FREAKING SWEET!!!! If you're a MK fan,... you have to get this game!!! The Konquest mode is phenomenal!!!
[/QUOTE]

this makes all the other iopinions null and void. EJECT!!

bread's done
Back