what is the Ebay Sell Trick

mercilessming

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
How do people on Ebay get older computer equipment sold for such a high price. 6800 level vid cards used going to upper 60s used amd 939 x2 4600 procs going for 120$. I knew I could get even a little lesser amount for those types of items I would ebay mine.

What is the secret?

Yeah one time I sold an Athlon XP on eBay for about the same amount that I paid for it after using it for 2 or 3 years. I think certain CPUs and maybe video cards are recognized as being highly overclockable, so people will pay a premium for them to upgrade their current systems rather than buy a new system.

There are no tricks... it's just that there are a lot of idiots out there on eBay. Most people don't search for deals and think eBay is the best place to buy.

I sold 2x 1GB DDR2 memory for $80 on eBay when Newegg had them on sale for $90 less a $35 rebate. I was kinda dumbfounded.

other part is that there really isn't places to get old tech...

Newegg only has the latest...

If you were looking for sdram or even DDR1.... you'll be hard pressed to find a deal for it.

ebay you might be able to get one.

Mainboards for computers are hard too... no one will keep those past a year or so... processors change way too fast and no point in holding on to a socket that isn't supported by the latest processor.

I had to pick up a 939 mainboard because I had a spare x2 3800 around.... I had to go ebay because Newegg had 1 and it was a crap refurb... many others had slim choices most were from 4th party manufactures... lame.

There needs to be a site that is like a junkyard for computer parts.. but doesn't have to be expensive.

[quote name='dratsacras']I saw two sticks of ram (pulled from a 486 so maybe 8-16MB?) hit $2000 about a year or so ago.[/quote]
:drool:
I have some of those...

[quote name='dratsacras']I saw two sticks of ram (pulled from a 486 so maybe 8-16MB?) hit $2000 about a year or so ago.[/QUOTE]

Damn, we pulled out some of those from some ancient computers stored in the backroom from years ago. We saw them, laughed, then threw them away.

[quote name='Negative']Damn, we pulled out some of those from some ancient computers stored in the backroom from years ago. We saw them, laughed, then threw them away.[/quote]

Too bad you weren't "laughing" to the bank :cry:

I have a very dark theory that many of these insanely high priced junk parts auctions are actually part of money-laundering schemes covering God-only-knows-what illegal activities. The listing titles are very technical, so it's hard to know exactly what prices are insanely high unless you know a lot about that particular line of hardware. Especially oddball stuff like printer hardware.

A few years ago Amazon put a $2,500 cap on prices just to prevent this sort of activity. People were selling $.50 paperbacks for $10,000. Yikes.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I have a very dark theory that many of these insanely high priced junk parts auctions are actually part of money-laundering schemes covering God-only-knows-what illegal activities. The listing titles are very technical, so it's hard to know exactly what prices are insanely high unless you know a lot about that particular line of hardware. Especially oddball stuff like printer hardware.

A few years ago Amazon put a $2,500 cap on prices just to prevent this sort of activity. People were selling $.50 paperbacks for $10,000. Yikes.[/quote]

proabably exactly whats happening.

bread's done
Back