What is the oldest video game ever made?

Gamejammers

CAG Newbie
So what is the oldest video game ever made? I've heard of the tennis for two made with old B26 Air plane equipment,I even heard of a tennis game made by the Nazi's and the game was signed by Hitler in 1939.

Nazi tennis sounds awesome. I can imagine it now. .. you play as Hitler and enter a tennis tournament in which you beat each countries representative and take over their court. Lol

Not sure about a 1939 video game. People were still gathering around their Atwater Kent radios back then. It blew my mind when I found out that the 1972 Odyssey only rendered the ball and you had to place an overlay on your TV to get the lines. The carts were just switch cards (open and short circuits) with no active electronics . 1972 marks the beginning of my collection (1972-2002 30 years of console gaming). But I know some college mainframe games  date back to the 60's...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the computer version of Nim in 1951.  (Nim is that game where you're allowed to take 1,2, or 3 items from a row and either try to take the last one or leave the last one for your opponent.)  There were earlier attempts to manipulate graphics on a screen, but this would be the first game with a clear win/lose scenario.  It was the first game with options as well as you could play either win scenario (take the last item/leave the last item). It would also be the birth of the first gaming console as it was only available on the NIMROD which was about the size of half a dozen refrigerators standing side by side!   And everyone complains about the size of the original XBox.   In my day...mumble mumble...

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back