What is THE WORST video game you've ever played?

I'm going to break from the console world, and say one of the worst games I've played, that will likely never get any mention anywhere is Spin And Play, a PC/Mac game where "The magic world of amusement parks lies ahead."

Its more like a fourth rate carnival, minus the scary carnies.

There's quite a few "worst games ever" choices that are retarded. I hated Final Fantasy VII and was disappointed with OoT, but by no means are they the worst games ever. My pick would have to be the original NES Mission Impossible. On the surface, it's just a bad Metal Gear clone. At the end of the game though, you're given 1 hour to try and guess a password ranging from 0001-9999 to either beat or lose the game. This password is not hidden in the game anywhere and since this was in the days before the net, you literally went through six hours of crap to rely on luck in actually beating this flaming pile of horse shit.

Beyond that, ECW Hardcore Revolution, Superman for NES, ET, Pac Man Pinball, and Revolution X (the Aerosmith game) are all mind blowingly bad.

[quote name='daroga']There's a lot of really terrible games out there, but the one that tops my list of terrible games that are almost universally praised is Sonic CD. Good heavens, by far the worst of the 2D sonic games (save for some of the later, AWFUL Gamegear I understand). It was slow, boring, and gimmicky with the time travel thing that rarely did anything even remotely interesting. I'd much rather play either of the Sonic Adventure games than Sonic CD.

Oh, and Back to the Future II & III for NES has to come close to the top of my totally WORST EVER list. I owned that game from the first day I owned my NES. To this day, I have NO IDEA what to do in it.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? tell ME YOU'RE fuckING KIDDING!

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

Eh, just kidding, you're entitled to your opinion.

On another note; I must be teh only person to actually LIKE PD0. It's certainly not a killer app, but I still believe it's worth $20 (or less).

There are a ton of bad games. Three stick out for me.

1) Magic Carousel on Intellivision Lives! Nothing further necessary. If you're really curious, just pay the $5.96 and have fun answering the phone with the lion.

2) The Menacer 6-pak. When I was first learning Turbo Pascal, and just turned 13, I wrote a "press release" for family and friends detailing "Type Fighter", the fighting game with the revolutionary "cover up fighting system", where you'd cover up your hand so the other person couldn't see what you just did. There was more fun in that press release than in the Menacer 6-pak.

3) Tail of the Sun on the PSX was a cute attempt to improve on Aquanaut's Holiday. It has a subtle, yet novel philosophy that may yet be better realized. But they might as well have named it, "Narcoleptic Caveman Runs."

For me its has to be FIFA 64 for the N64. The control sucked, the graphics were horrible, and it lacked options. The game made poor use of the FIFA license too. At the time it was the only soccer game until Konami's ISS 64 put it to shame.

[quote name='daroga']Oh, and Back to the Future II & III for NES has to come close to the top of my totally WORST EVER list. I owned that game from the first day I owned my NES. To this day, I have NO IDEA what to do in it.[/QUOTE]

I second Back to the Future 2 & 3 for the NES. Terrible graphics (even for the nes), lame gameplay, and no clear objective. I remember renting this once way back when and returning it the next day.

Alot of NES games come to mind...no one really knew what theyw ere doing so ALOT of crap was made.

I don't remember if it were on SNES or NES, but Home Improvement was really bad. I played it on emulator just because I had to see it. Terrible. Home Alone on NES was really bad too, but I don't know about worst.

My roommate says Drakken.

"Fight for Life" on the Jaguar. If you never played it, you'll live 20 years longer than someone who has, like me.

jag-Fight-for-life.png

ffl_8.jpg

In my opinion, Kingdom of Paradise for the psp is the ultimate worst game I've ever played. I usually spend days researching the games I buy, and somehow I was convinced this was going to be a hit... It is SO bad. The voice acting is terrible. It's like an overzealous unexperienced actor reading one line at a time from a script he's never read. The gameplay is so easy, the only button I used was x. That game was so bad, I wouldn't even play it for laughs. Oh, and I also agree with those who thought Morrowind was immensely boring.

Tail of the Sun (PSOne). Your character needs to go around collecting dinosaur bones, so he can use them to build a tower to the sun. The game was so boring, your character would fall asleep while running, and lay there for a couple minutes while you were forced to watch.

[quote name='Purple Flames']E.T. for the Atari

Thread over[/quote]

I am going against the grain here and say that I actually liked E.T. I played that game and beat that game several times.

The single worse game for the Atari 2600 is Pac Man - Hands down. It had the worst color scheme in any game known to man and it also had the constant (headache-inducing) blinking that would drive anyone to complete madness.
Pac-Man_2600_ScreenShot2.jpg

Other choices:
1. Onimushi for the Xbox (Its different than the PS2 version)- The worst $10 I have ever spent.
2. Mortal Kombat Advance for the Gameboy Advance- The music was good; Everything else was bad. I felt bad...
3. True Crime: Streets of LA - I have never returned a game to the store so fast. Cheesy!!!

man, we played the shit out of fifa 64, but it did suck, as did RTWC:98.

does anyone remember HyperZone for SNES? it was like an F-Zero, but sucked. I remember playing the crap out of that one too. man, i was an idiot when i was a kid!

any thoughts on Shenmue? I loved that game. I picked up a copy at Game Crazy today for $5 with everything!

[quote name='Sendell']In my opinion, Kingdom of Paradise for the psp is the ultimate worst game I've ever played. I usually spend days researching the games I buy, and somehow I was convinced this was going to be a hit... It is SO bad. The voice acting is terrible. It's like an overzealous unexperienced actor reading one line at a time from a script he's never read. The gameplay is so easy, the only button I used was x. That game was so bad, I wouldn't even play it for laughs. Oh, and I also agree with those who thought Morrowind was immensely boring.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I hope you are wrong on that one - I still have that sealed from a GR preorder :rofl:. Guess I'll just move it back in the queue a bit. But I loved Morrowind (on the PC) so maybe our tastes are different.

I had quite a large Atari collection way back (I can't get over the fact that one poster here said he was in Elementary school in 1994 - that would be the year after I got married :cry:). I must have had some stinkers in there but I really can't remember - they all seemed decent to me at the time. I think I was spared from owning ET though :lol:. I'm pretty sure I had Pac-Man and while I thought it was cool to be able to play Pac-Man at home, it probably grew tiresome pretty quickly. Remember at the time that was the best graphics we had (though Xevious is right - the color choices were horrible).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Ys III on Genesis, followed closely by the Phantasy Star series on Genesis.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, about the Phantasy Star series, right?

Hmm..off the top of my head..games I absolutely detested playing

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Genesis: wow, I remember being hyped about this one, imagine the disappointment when the Genesis version is a simplified, boring, slow FIGHTING game. The SNES got a perfectly good Streets of Rage clone with Power Rangers in it. "The Movie" made up for it, since it was a Streets of Rage clone, had the White Ranger in it, plus you could use the Rangers in their human forms..Kimberly..Tommy...yay! And the Megazord battles were great, but the original MMPR game for Genesis was one of my biggest disappointments ever

Final Fantasy VI: I didn't play this until the late 90's. I had been playing Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, and Lunar, exclusively, through out the mid 90's. I finally played it [via emulation] going in thinking it was supposed to be the best RPG ever. However, I really really didn't like it at all. I enjoyed IV, and even V, way more. Plus after VII, there was just no going back. It just seemed amazing to me that two or three years could make such a difference in the gameplay, presentation, and quality of a game..even if it's the same exact staff and company producing it...

Games I won't waste much time talking about

Katamari Damacy
Any 3d Zelda
Resident Evil 2 and beyond
Tomb Raider 3 and beyond

and lastly

Disgaea..it's a joke if you played any strategy game made before the year 2000.

I guess I'm the only one that played the video game piece of shit known as Fight Club lol

One I remember that I did like but was dissappointed because it used like 3 buttons for simple shit was TMNT Tournament Fighters for Genesis. I've always heard that the SNES one whuped the Genesis versions ass

[quote name='io']Damn, I hope you are wrong on that one - I still have that sealed from a GR preorder :rofl:. Guess I'll just move it back in the queue a bit. But I loved Morrowind (on the PC) so maybe our tastes are different.
[/quote]

I know some people who really enjoyed KoP, so I suggest you try it for yourself. You'll probably find it's better than I described it.

...or not.

;)

*readies flame shield*

Hmm well through out my whole life I havn't nearly played as many games as I wanted to, but the 2 that stick out the most would be...

GTA Vice City - Well this may be due to me being an RPG kinda guy but I borrowed this from a friend, as I wanted to see what the hype was all about, and I was sure glad I didnt buy it. Man, everything is all blocky, all you do is kill people which is pointless in my eyes and its has no story to it. Just plain boring.

Captain America and the Avengers - *looks at game sitting on the table* eww...its just lame. I mean, god, it sucks. A friend and I tried beating it the other day either we suck or its one of those impossible games.

[quote name='Riyonuk']*readies flame shield*

Hmm well through out my whole life I havn't nearly played as many games as I wanted to, but the 2 that stick out the most would be...

GTA Vice City - Well this may be due to me being an RPG kinda guy but I borrowed this from a friend, as I wanted to see what the hype was all about, and I was sure glad I didnt buy it. Man, everything is all blocky, all you do is kill people which is pointless in my eyes and its has no story to it. Just plain boring.

Captain America and the Avengers - *looks at game sitting on the table* eww...its just lame. I mean, god, it sucks. A friend and I tried beating it the other day either we suck or its one of those impossible games.[/QUOTE]

But?! Captain America and the Avengers is great..a beat em up in the style of X-Men and the Simpsons, how can you not like it?

And when Submariner shows up, that's where the fun REALLY begins!

[quote name='itspaidgasterblaster']I know you will will flame me to death but here it goes Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. For some reason i'm the only gamer on earth who thought this game was boring as hell.[/QUOTE]

eh, I wouldn't call it the worst ever, but I also found it terribly boring.

I think the worst game I ever actually bothered to play would probably be Star Fox Adventures. What a hunk of garbage.

[quote name='sarausagi']But?! Captain America and the Avengers is great..a beat em up in the style of X-Men and the Simpsons, how can you not like it?

And when Submariner shows up, that's where the fun REALLY begins![/QUOTE]

dude you're insane... captain america & the avengers is one of the best fucking games on the genesis. Ive probably beat it atleast 50 times since i was a kid.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Captain America and the Avengers - *looks at game sitting on the table* eww...its just lame. I mean, god, it sucks. A friend and I tried beating it the other day either we suck or its one of those impossible games.[/quote]

Which system? I had it for SNES and couldn't stand it...

I remember playing Captain America and the Avengers all the time at my friend's house when I was younger. We used to have a great time. Me and my roommate decided to play it about a month ago. It was horrible. Not the worst game ever, but you all should definately just keep your good memories about it because it did not age well.

The one I have with me is for the SNES. I may decide to play it again as I like playing crappy games, teaches me what not to do when programming. And I mean there games, I like them :)

[quote name='Riyonuk']The one I have with me is for the SNES. I may decide to play it again as I like playing crappy games, teaches me what not to do when programming. And I mean there games, I like them :)[/quote]

Yeah, I bought that with either birthday money or xmas money when I was a kid. Man was I upset when I found out how horrible that one was once I got home...

[quote name='danito']Bad Dudes. But the awesome plot makes up for it.[/quote]

How the hell can you rag on Bad Dudes? The gameplay was great. Especially if you had the REAL ARCADE GAME FOR REAL ARCADE FEEL. You also need to play the sequel to Bad Dudes. TWO CRUDE DUDES.

Personally I"m going to have to go with The Adventures of Bayou Billy. What a fucking waste of money. Yet as a kid I played this game ALL the time. I don't even think I ever passed the first level. The hit detection was AWFUL for the player but whatever the computer did. BAM! Where'd that truck come from?!

Also I'd put hydlide in here. That game drove me insane. Yet I had the audacity to actually sit through and beat the whole game. I still hear the ONE tune it has in my head.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Tail of the Sun (PSOne). Your character needs to go around collecting dinosaur bones, so he can use them to build a tower to the sun. The game was so boring, your character would fall asleep while running, and lay there for a couple minutes while you were forced to watch.[/quote]

I like tail of the sun, I found it to be an amusing game.

Dynasty Warriors on GBA was pretty horrendous. Scored it for $4 new and sold it in a day.

Super Mario 64 on the DS was pretty rough too. That game is meant for an analog stick and the stylus sure couldn't cut it. It never should have been ported and NSMB being built from the ground up for DS makes the salt sting that much more. While I'm on DS Trace Memory was pretty bad too. I'll come back to this thread when more of these come to me.

No one played TRAG? I saw it for 2 bucks at EB a long time ago when I uttered my famous last words: "2 bucks? It can't be that bad." Oh yes it can, and it was.

It was an abyssmal game for the PS1. Take Resident Evil, exchange a mansion for an office building, zombies and monsters for robots and terrorists, and fun for extreme pain and you have TRAG. The controls were awful, the graphics were muddy as hell, and sound was some form of ear poison.

[quote name='PanzerNinja']So far on 360 its Saint's Row. Horrible ripoff of another boring game (GTA III). Absolute worst game ever was Total Recall on the NES.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering. If you knew you didn't like GTA III, why'd you even bother with Saint's Row?

Perfect Dark Zero is pretty damn bad. And yes (flame-on) the Dead or Alive series.

[quote name='danito']Bad Dudes. But the awesome plot makes up for it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself.

I will add, as much as some people say it's "quirky" and "Japanese", I definitely feel a "Western" touch to it. The visuals, the art style, even the music, align themselves with the tastes of the cynical 20 something non gamers that seem to praise it as a "technical marvel" or "bold stroke of innovation." The only people I know who seriously like the game are the tattooed, grunge types that walk into EBGames holding a large Starbucks beverage, carrying a messenger bag with a bunch of pins on it, and listening to an obscure indie rock band on their iPods..

All I know is Katamari, the DS, the Wii, are all signs of the inevitable fall of "gaming", signs of a day we won't be able to play truly good, complex games, and all there will be is licensed movie games, monopolized football games, and so called "innovation" and "broad appeal"

[quote name='danito']Bad Dudes. But the awesome plot makes up for it.[/quote]

I never did save President Ronnie from the ninjas that overtook the city.

[quote name='speedshutters']magna carta ps2
the battle system is pure torture[/QUOTE]

agreed.
loading times after hitting an attack button has to be about the worst thing ever.
The character models were also barely better than a PS1 game, which sucked cause the artwork was very promising. don't even get me started on how you only walk along a set path.

bread's done
Back