What is up with some People, and high prices

mercilessming

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
After getting no responses on trade/ buy offers for some older Xbox 360 games, I went against everything and looked at eBay (I trust less the quality of stuff ordering from eBay). CAG'rs seem to regard their own Reputations better when representing the shape of their for sale/trade stuff than some ebayers who claim a near mint game is one with scratches, not minor scuffs but scratches that look not to far from coastering the disc.

Anyway, I noticed one heavy bided set of 3 games for example (Condemned, rainbow six Vegas, Dead rising) all good games but winning bid looks to be 76$ plus a 10$ shipping that’s 86$. You can buy the same games for 72 used at ebgames before any discounts, trade in credit etc. Or sell/trade/buy them here, I personally think getting and offering a good deal on games should be 5 or more dollars off the price of Ebgames at least, and also taking in consideration the age of the titles, and the possibility of you as the seller every going to use the item again, If I have a item worth 10$ to a select few, I wish to sell/trade it and a person says here’s 5 dollars in person or 8 with shipping its sold or traded in like value.

Sorry for the Ramblings, just curious what you think.

I didn't understand a word you said.

But yeah. High prices suck. Too bad games are sold for $60 in the first place.

He's talking about how people will sell stuff for store price, and sometimes even above. I don't know why bidders let it get like that but oh well.

Or people who lowball you for brand new games..

I was selling advance wars : days of ruin, came out what wednesday?

Got offered 12 bucks for it.

Wtf? I didnt want 25 for it, but christ.

If you put up an item in an auction and it sells for $10 more than it sells for in stores, is that your fault? If people want to give you money, let them.

Agreed, I sell my used games I no longer want on EBay. I sometimes get more than what EB is selling them for when you include shipping, but if their willing to pay that, I have no problem with it.

Yeah, if people bid up items, that's their problem. Not everyone knows about places like CAG (good for us) and how to find the best deals on games, so they might think they are still getting the better end.

I think you some of you mis-understood what he's saying .. unless I am. He's saying how come people are suckers for paying so much for games that they can get cheaper, easily somewhere else.

I'll just use the quote "A sucker is born every minute"

also ebay is just plain addicting to some people... some will just out bid someone else just to be the "winner" even tho they ironically over paided.

Remind me of a recent auction of my sealed God of war chains of Olympus PSP demo ... i was a little late in selling it (2-3 months after they shipped)
I checked completed listings and the going rate for it was 20-25$ .. so i figure what the heck 20$ is good.
Ended up selling it for 45$ ...
I was like WTF ... was it a joke bid?
Even other auctions with the same sealed demo with some other little extras i didnt include only went for 25$ish.
Nop, buyer paid, perfect transaction ... i was damn happy.
So who knows what these people are thinking.

LOL Knowing my luck, if I ever tried selling my games on Ebay, I'd get NO bidders and end up selling my stuff for UNDER what I wanted. This is why, even though it irks me to no end what crap values you get getting rid of stuff at retail, I usually opt for the convenience of trading to FYE or someplace similar.

It beats having some asshat who reads my CL ad try to haggle me down to next to nothing and having to deal with paying Ebay's fees. Mind you, I sometimes get next to nothing for games I trade in, but if they were Kmart clearance titles to begin with, it may still sting, but it'll sting ALOT LESS than if I had a portion of that amount sucked away by fees.

If GS had a decent trade deal going right now, I'd probably try like hell to get rid of most of my PS2 and Xbox games, but with the low trade values for the systems, I'd still keep them.

Ahhh well....the way I see it, if people are willing to pay the prices they bid the items up to on Ebay, so be it. As long as they pay, who cares?

They seem to only want to pay a lot more exclusively at Christmas time. Any other time sometimes you can snag games for cheap. If you can establish yourself as a private seller with GOOD condition games and take an actual picture of the game then you will get bidders. A stock listing will get less bidders because people look for quality (and there are so many stock listings out there that yours will get lost in the shuffle fast). Less and less people are taking photos of games themselves and getting lazier and just using stock photos, so don't be lazy and take that real photo and earn more money! I got 22$ for a copy of Zookeeper DS that was in the bargain bin at most stores for 14.99 this Xmas. I know I personally look for private sellers selling games when I am buying, if I choose to do so. I rarely buy from a huge wholesaler who has a million auctions and overcharges for shipping and handling and uses only stock photos.

If they are bidding up the auction there is nothing that can be done, if you start something at .99 and it goes up higher than retail that is just the bidders getting into a bidding war and frankly you should enjoy it if you are the seller.

I would rather buy a game from Ebay than from eb or gamestop. I would pay a couple bucks more also, because they will probably give you the game and the case that its suppose to have, unlike the disk only (beat to crap) you are probably going to get from Gamestop.

[quote name='SaraAB']They seem to only want to pay a lot more exclusively at Christmas time. Any other time sometimes you can snag games for cheap. If you can establish yourself as a private seller with GOOD condition games and take an actual picture of the game then you will get bidders. A stock listing will get less bidders because people look for quality (and there are so many stock listings out there that yours will get lost in the shuffle fast). Less and less people are taking photos of games themselves and getting lazier and just using stock photos, so don't be lazy and take that real photo and earn more money! I got 22$ for a copy of Zookeeper DS that was in the bargain bin at most stores for 14.99 this Xmas. I know I personally look for private sellers selling games when I am buying, if I choose to do so. I rarely buy from a huge wholesaler who has a million auctions and overcharges for shipping and handling and uses only stock photos.

If they are bidding up the auction there is nothing that can be done, if you start something at .99 and it goes up higher than retail that is just the bidders getting into a bidding war and frankly you should enjoy it if you are the seller.[/quote]

What gets me is that I'm registered on the shopgoodwill site and I Googled or simply did an Ebay search on many of the buyers on there who were bidding against me and many of them are asshole resellers looking to snag every auction with something of real value to flip on Ebay and rake off. That completely sucks for those of us who buy games to PLAY(and on the rare occasion I find a game worth a bunch that I can get cheap at retail, I'll flip a couple copies)and who aren't going to just get the items and post them on Ebay.

I know, it's a free market and people can do what they want with stuff they get, but it just irks me to no end to think that many of those items which could've further benefitted the non-profit or could've gone to someone who would PLAY them than some unscrupulous reseller with no real interest in the games except the money they think of when they're posting the items up for auction.

well if GS uses ebay prices then mercenaries for ps2 is soon gonna be 34.99 on ebay as the local mall tonight has 5 copies with the same price tag on it

I should've grabbed the copy of Psychonauts for PS2 that the Kmart down in Moosic had for a while, since that's getting tough to find too. I have 2 copies of it for Xbox(one sealed, one I've played), but I've been playing my PS2 more lately.

I never did see any copies of Mercs for PS2 @ a Kmart ever, unless you count the ONE copy I saw down in Whitehall(near Allentown).

It just irks me that Gamestop wants the Ebay price, without having to pay any of the fees and actually give a damn about the condition of the shit they're selling.

its convenient on ebay. getting lots like these. but there are ups and downs. what you saw was the up.. usually lots dont sell for a whole lot but it also depends on the buyer. lots are great for sellers since its convenient to just sell all to one buyer. buyers are lucky sometimes because there are hidden gems within the lot. i bought a disc only ps1 lot a year or 2 ago that included Silent Hill, Tomba 2, Front Mission 3, 2 megaman games and a pacman game.. for $9 bucks + $3 shipping.

like for instance people seem to think its better to bundle the Nocturne guide with the Nocturne game. although both sells for alot of money, most of the time they end up at like $100-$120 the most. if you separated the auction you could have gotten upto $70 just for the guide.. and for the game for $70 to $90. in some instances its probably $10 more.. but hey i'll take the extra $10 anytime. but it also depends on how you present your item.

What gets me is that I'm registered on the shopgoodwill site and I Googled or simply did an Ebay search on many of the buyers on there who were bidding against me and many of them are asshole resellers looking to snag every auction with something of real value to flip on Ebay and rake off. That completely sucks for those of us who buy games to PLAY(and on the rare occasion I find a game worth a bunch that I can get cheap at retail, I'll flip a couple copies)and who aren't going to just get the items and post them on Ebay.
I hear you. I checked out that auction you had posted in another thread, the one with the PS1, FFVII, Silent hill, and some other crap. I tried bidding up to $60, but I was still already outbid. Plus, there's a whole day left, so that's just going to get out of hand.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I hear you. I checked out that auction you had posted in another thread, the one with the PS1, FFVII, Silent hill, and some other crap. I tried bidding up to $60, but I was still already outbid. Plus, there's a whole day left, so that's just going to get out of hand.[/quote]

You should've seen the one lot they had on there with Diablo and a couple PS1 RPGs AND a copy of MGS. It went for OVER $100-140.

[quote name='mercilessming']rumble jumble ramble mumble[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, my Ramblish translator seems off-kilter at the moment, so I'll just follow what some others were talking about.

Regarding bidding wars, as a seller, I say: bring 'em on. There's nothing quite like seeing a cheap, common game (SMB3 for the NES, for example) get bid up to $12 or so in the last 30 seconds of an auction - something I've had happen to me not once, but twice in the past. As long as they pay for it and aren't a complete nitwit, I don't mind at all. In my experience, it seems like buyers like that have a somewhat higher risk of being doofuses ('i thuoght this was for a game not a guide i dont need the guide' - *sigh* "Sorry, but, learn how to read." *plonk*), but I digress.

As a buyer, yeah, it can be annoying, particularly if a war is over an item which turns up infrequently but generally doesn't go for any great sum. 2 or more idjits driving an item like that up, say, twice its usual value (or more), can bring out a flood of listings, all with Buy It Now prices/minimum bids based around the overinflated price. Sometimes, the flood dies down quickly and prices go back to normal; sometimes, not so much....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It just irks me that Gamestop wants the Ebay price, without having to pay any of the fees and actually give a damn about the condition of the shit they're selling.[/QUOTE]

Amen. If I wanted to pay overinflated prices on harder-to-find stuff, I'd go on eBay. Generally, the only time I buy anything from Gamestop now is when there's a coupon I can use (eternal 10% off coupon, I'm looking at you). But there are limits to that, too. Scratched-up discs in cases with ugly-ass generic artwork and no manuals/inserts/anything? Crap - 10/20/30% still = crap. 80-90%? We'll talk. But until then, let it rot on the shelf.

I really only go to gamestop with the coupons now, there is no other reason to go. I only buy complete games, so 90% of their inventory is eliminated from my purchasing options. They do miss the values on some items though so their system is not completely up to date with ebay.

When you sell an item do your research carefully, some items are better off as a lot and some are better off as single items, usually worthless items are better as a lot. I sold a lot of basically worthless game guides for about 10-15$, much better than letting them go into the recycling bin. People will pay for a lot of basically worthless stuff but they won't pay for one single worthless item that already has 5 duplicates that are not going to sell on ebay.

bread's done
Back