What is your best profit margin on one of your auctions

jlarlee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Mine happened about 8 months ago I found Godzilla attack all monsters meelee for $7 in a clearance bin. I got $27.50 in my auction. That was nearly a 400% profit.

A couple of years ago, I bought a brand new, sealed, mint cond X-Com UFO Defense for PS1 (old school, plastic long box case) for $5 at KB. I sold it for around $115 or so on eBay.

at a yard sale i paid $2 for about 40 old nintendo powers. i sold one of the posters (water world for virtual boy) for $27

for 1 poster out of 1 mag, i dont even think you can compute what i paid for it without it rounding off to zero ^^

[quote name='bradr']A couple of years ago, I bought a brand new, sealed, mint cond X-Com UFO Defense for PS1 (old school, plastic long box case) for $5 at KB. I sold it for around $115 or so on eBay.[/quote]

wow a 2300% profit makes my 400% look piddly

I once bought a gamecube and an xbox for $200 together. the gamecube had one controller and 3 games, while the xbox had 5 games, a dvd remote, and 2 controllers. i figured i could maybe make back a little of the xbox portion of the $200 on ebay since i wanted to keep the gamecube. the xbox ended at $276, so i paid for both consoles, kept one, and made $76. not bad. :)

My most proud was a Bose Wave Raidio w/CD player I bought for $250 and sold for $700. Buy my most profitable % would have been when I use to sell bootleg VHS before everything was rereleased on DVD back in 1998-1999. I would sell Labyrinth, Old David Lynch stuff. The cost was the $1 for a blank tape and they would sell for $50-60 bucks. What is that 5900%? I have no idea how to figure the precentage.

[quote name='Othergods']My most proud was a Bose Wave Raidio w/CD player I bought for $250 and sold for $700. Buy my most profitable % would have been when I use to sell bootleg VHS before everything was rereleased on DVD back in 1998-1999. I would sell Labyrinth, Old David Lynch stuff. The cost was the $1 for a blank tape and they would sell for $50-60 bucks. What is that 5900%? I have no idea how to figure the precentage.[/quote]

Yea 5000-6000%

Got a copy of Photoshop 4.0 retail complete for 2.50 at a thrift store and it went for $85 shipped on half.com.

Got Mortal Combat: Dark Alliance for $.01 at CC and it went for $10 before shipping, I think. What is that, almost 10,000% markup?

But I haven't auctioned in years, except on behalf of work. With half.com., I can generally get a decent sale price EVENTUALLY, and no damn listing fees for nosales. So it just sits there until it sells. Every couple of weeks, I drop or raise the price a bit to get it to show up in peoples' email notifications if they are price watching without browsing.

I pretty much list everything I get there. If I want to keep it, I price it too high, higher than the price I can replace it at. And sometimes those are the prices I get.

Wait... I'm pretty sure I sold something for $20 or so bucks that I got for free... darned if I can remember what it was though.

I bought a used copy of the Final Fantasy 7 Versus Guide at a used game and movie store for $5, and sold it for $75

I used to sell a lot of old strategy guides I would get from work. Since they were pennied out, it was all profit. I sold about 1/10 of my collection (which is still a lot!) and made about $200 on it.

One of these days I'll get around to the rest...

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='Othergods']My most proud was a Bose Wave Raidio w/CD player I bought for $250 and sold for $700. Buy my most profitable % would have been when I use to sell bootleg VHS before everything was rereleased on DVD back in 1998-1999. I would sell Labyrinth, Old David Lynch stuff. The cost was the $1 for a blank tape and they would sell for $50-60 bucks. What is that 5900%? I have no idea how to figure the precentage.[/quote]

Yea 5000-6000%[/quote]

Makes me wonder what I could have got if i had brought home some of the pirated dvds they had in Baghdad. Some DVDs would have four movies on them and it would cost $5. One of the ones I wish I would have kept had all three Godfathers on it. I was paranoid of customs though but then my bags didn't even get checked on my way home.

I was over there during the first go-around... Some awesome audio bootlegs... Any album you found usually had a couple other album's worth of material on it, and all were a buck or two. Maybe three. Which made the damn convoys a little more tolerable.

EDIT:
I suppose that is diverging a bit, though.

[quote name='soulyogurt']I was over there during the first go-around... Some awesome audio bootlegs... Any album you found usually had a couple other album's worth of material on it, and all were a buck or two. Maybe three. Which made the damn convoys a little more tolerable.[/quote]

Crap when it came to audio stuff our base server had like 1200 albums on it if the freaking burner on my pc was working right I would have had a haul

Ah, we barely had a computer in our unit back then (At least in the field) and that was in ops, and wasn't used that much. And no base most of the time, either. I had a crappy tape deck hanging from the window latches on my 5-ton wrecker. We used to drink a bunch of coffee... we took the hoses from the oxy-acetylene rig behind the cab and jammed them into the radio rig so we could brew coffee on the run. I doubt you guys have radio rigs that take up a person-size space in the vehicle nowadays, too. Probably use world-phones or some such crap. Heh.

I always thought that when I got out, I'd find a HUMV ambulance at auction or something and use it as a camper... then the commercial version came out as a damn luxury vehicle.... what the hell?

Yea we had cell phones that's the Air Force for ya though. Our base had been in place for about a year and a half so it was well established

Bought Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PS1) for $10. It sat around unopened for two years when I noticed it had become a collector's item despite unenthused reviews. Sold it on eBay for $101.

a lot of dvd pirated movies are rips etc from other sources, and then shoved/compressed. So the godfather dvd was most likly bad quality.

Anyways, I bought chrono trigger (sealed) for about 20, and sold it on ebay for 315.

And when i was selling modded saturns online, they would cost me about 50+ modtime, and I would sell them for 280-300ish on yahoo auctions :)

[quote name='Ericnmel99']When Ps2 came out i bought one for the $299 it was and sold it on ebay for $950.[/quote]

Man I almost have forgotten the mass hysteria that was the PS2 release. Surely no CAG's spent three times the MSRP on a PS2 did they?

[quote name='Theenternal']a lot of dvd pirated movies are rips etc from other sources, and then shoved/compressed. So the godfather dvd was most likly bad quality.

Anyways, I bought chrono trigger (sealed) for about 20, and sold it on ebay for 315.

And when i was selling modded saturns online, they would cost me about 50+ modtime, and I would sell them for 280-300ish on yahoo auctions :)[/quote]

Actually the quality was decent it was a double sided DVD though so it probably would not have aged well

I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.

[quote name='boyward']I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.[/quote]

What the hell are they teaching in math class these days? Divide what you got for the item by what you paid for it than times it by 100 to get your percentage. In your case a little bit over 300%

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='boyward']I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.[/quote]

What the hell are they teaching in math class these days? Divide what you got for the item by what you paid for it than times it by 100 to get your percentage. In your case a little bit over 300%[/quote]

HAHAHA if u werent gonna post that i was going to.... quite sad...

[quote name='BasketCase1080'][quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='boyward']I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.[/quote]

What the hell are they teaching in math class these days? Divide what you got for the item by what you paid for it than times it by 100 to get your percentage. In your case a little bit over 300%[/quote]

HAHAHA if u werent gonna post that i was going to.... quite sad...[/quote]

Yea I figured with all the Grammar Nazis about we needed at least one math Nazi

got killer instinct gold for like 5 bucks

sold it for 25 shipped on ebay :)

the guy emailed the offer so I ended it early at like 1 buck so I didn't have high fees :)

i bought a cd at work for roughly $5, and sold it on ebay for roughly $100. that was in january. a couple weeks ago i was able to buy the same cd for another $5, and sold it on ebay for $79, which is still pretty darn good.

my proudest are Marvel Legends figures, I get them for around 6$ with my employee discount, I just sold a Red Phoenix from series 6 for 79.57$ (86.00 shiped) and a red skull from series 5 for 48$ shiped, or Lebron James Variant for 53$ shiped, or Carmello anthony variant for 47$ shipped, or when I bought 21 Limited edition Zelda(the one with 4 games) Collectors guide from work(penny a piece) and sold them on ebay for 16$ Each

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='boyward']I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.[/quote]

What the hell are they teaching adults in math class these days? Divide what you got for the item by what you paid for it then times it by 100, then subtract 100 to get your percentage. In this case a little bit over 200%.

Best profit for a game auction:
Snatcher Sega CD bought for $2.99, sold for $114

Best Non-game auction
A bunch of Mars Attacks trading cards original cards from the 1960's, they were my uncles but my grandpa gave them to me, sold for $275

Old German wind up car a relative gave to me, sold for $265

Wish I still had all that money!

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='boyward']I bought a couple of brand new copies of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for $17 each ($34). I sold them at Amazon for $55 each ($110). Not sure how to figure the percentage.[/quote]

What the hell are they teaching adults in math class these days? Divide what you got for the item by what you paid for it then times it by 100, then subtract 100 to get your percentage. In this case a little bit over 200%.[/quote]

By your figuring. 110/34 =3.2 times by 100 323 than subtract 100 is 223? You are wrong that last subtraction is unneccesary. 200% is double profit 300% is triple. Get your shit straight before stepping to the math nazi son

Not as good as others . . . but here are some of my favs

Bought Mega Man 2, 3, and Soccer SNES for $4 each at a vid store closing . . . sold each for $60+

My wife's old Mrs. Beasly doll, (Orig Family Affair show) she and my inlaws were going to throw this ugly beat-up thing out . . . I said "ebay," they all laughed but I sold it for over $70.

Bought a bunch of Mario bobbleheads at Goodwill for $2 each (old Target promo) connected with Japanese buyers and turned my $20 into $200.

a $2 Nintendo game and watch got $30 on ebay

a $5 Marvel v Capcom 2 for xbox took in over $50 on ebay

[quote name='thatstoobad']i bought a cd at work for roughly $5, and sold it on ebay for roughly $100. that was in january. a couple weeks ago i was able to buy the same cd for another $5, and sold it on ebay for $79, which is still pretty darn good.[/quote]

what cd??????????????????

Not my best % profit, but in a sense it was pure profit.

I discovered that Heroes of Might and Magic Platinum goes for $50+ on eBay (new and sealed) so I put up my old (used) copy that had just been sitting on my shelf for the past 2 or 3years and had it bid up to $50. Paid $30 MSRP for it when it came out, but really it had been purchased so long ago that it was almost like selling something I found for free.

And the other day I found mint copies of Battle Ogre and Suikoden (PS1) that I haven't touched in probably 5 or more years. If I'm lucky I'll get $50 for each of those as well. I can't imagine I spent more than $20 on each back in the day.

My best % is probably selling one game for $30 out of a set of 34 mixed Genny and 32X games plus 32X console I picked up for $35. Not sure what you want to say my price per game was, but if you say $0.75 (leaving $9.50 as the price for the console and controllers) my profit was 4000% I think.

[quote name='jbroush99']Best profit for a game auction:
Snatcher Sega CD bought for $2.99, sold for $114[/quote]

Nice. I still have a mint copy. I paid $10 for it.

I refuse to let it go. Best game ever.

$0.25 for a mgmt textbook at a thrift store, sold it for $85 online at half.com (it was the same damn book that i was using in my mgmt class at the time)

I found 6 sealed copies of Suikoden II at a going out of business sale at a local record shop.. paid $5 a piece, went on Ebay for $175 a pop.

And during the PS2 craziness.. I bought and sold a few dozen PS2s at $750-$1000 a pop.

Ahh the good stuff.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I found 6 sealed copies of Suikoden II at a going out of business sale at a local record shop.. paid $5 a piece, went on Ebay for $175 a pop. [/quote]

That is nice! Over a grand in profit (before taking out eBay, PayPal, etc. fees)

I sold a couple of PS2 a couple weeks after launch for about $450 each. Got enough out of the auctions to get mine for free.

Bought Suikoden II for 3 bucks at a pawn shop and got 110 on ebay

Got a copy of tactics for free back before the re-release and sold it for 80

Paid 7.99 for a copy of Klonoa 1 and sold it for 75 on ebay

bread's done
Back