What is YOUR favorite game of all time, any system?

Goldeneye for the N64 is the best FPS ever and seeing as FPS's are the best genre this is my favorite game, proximity mines in facility was the bomb and I could not be beaten!

[quote name='Odenat']FF VII is mine just because it's what turned me from just a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer overnight[/quote]

Something seems wrong with that idea. I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Odenat']FF VII is mine just because it's what turned me from just a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer overnight[/quote]

Something seems wrong with that idea. I just can't seem to put my finger on it.[/quote]

Maybe you find it strange someone would make a drastic change like that over some turn-based piece of poo

Tough to pick just one.

Master of Magic - Arguably the best turn-based strategy game ever made. I always wonder why a sequel was never made.

X-Com - This was just a great turn-based tactical game. Fighting an endless onsluaght of alien hordes, defending the world? Great stuff. Spent many a night playing this when I should have been studying for my MCAT's in college

Baldur's Gate with the Sword Coast expansion - My all time favorite RPG. I prefer it to the sequel only because I just finding it more satisfying starting out from scratch as a low-level scrub jsut struggling to stay alive.

Medieval: Total War - For a history buff like me that's into tactical RTS games, this game was a dream come true. I still play this all the time.

I prefer PC games overall, they just have more complexity and tend to be deeper than console games, though Final Fantasy Tactics just barely misses the cut on my list.

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Odenat']FF VII is mine just because it's what turned me from just a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer overnight[/quote]

Something seems wrong with that idea. I just can't seem to put my finger on it.[/quote]

Maybe you find it strange someone would make a drastic change like that over some turn-based piece of poo[/quote]

Really. What are these "drastic changes" that FF7 introduced?
It's not that FF7 is a bad game, in fact, it does deserved to be mentioned as a great game. I'm tired of everyone saying it's the "GREATEST GAME EVAR!!!".

Since when has FF7 EVER been a metric of hardcore credibility?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='smalien1'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Odenat']FF VII is mine just because it's what turned me from just a casual gamer to a hardcore gamer overnight[/quote]

Maybe you find it strange someone would make a drastic change like that over some turn-based piece of poo[/quote]

Really. What are these "drastic changes" that FF7 introduced?
It's not that FF7 is a bad game, in fact, it does deserved to be mentioned as a great game. I'm tired of everyone saying it's the "GREATEST GAME EVAR!!!".

Since when has FF7 EVER been a metric of hardcore credibility?[/quote]

I was the one who originally said 'drastic change' and I'm the one who was criticizing, so if you agree with me why are you making fun of the way I tired to get my point across?

Standard Operating Procedure, I guess.
His statement is so obviously stilted in one direction, and yours the other.

The truth lies somewhere in between.
Though the use of a line of questioning, one could hopefully cull the individual biases from statements and be closer to the truth.

He likes the game. You obviously don't.
I'm rather ambivalent about it. I'd like to find out what is so polarizing about the game.

[quote name='JSweeney']Standard Operating Procedure, I guess.
His statement is so obviously stilted in one direction, and yours the other.

The truth lies somewhere in between.
Though the use of a line of questioning, one could hopefully cull the individual biases from statements and be closer to the truth.

He likes the game. You obviously don't.
I'm rather ambivalent about it. I'd like to find out what is so polarizing about the game.[/quote]

You taking a psychology course or something?

[quote name='JSweeney']Ah... I almost forgot to mention my favorite game...

The Secret of Monkey Island.[/quote]

You were to busy dealing with my crap, haha

So much goodness to choose from! My two favorites, and the two games that caused me the most sleep deprivation, would be Final Fantasy Tactics and Civilation 2 (PC). I shudder to think of the hours I've dumped into those two games but I'll always consider it time well spent.

I'd have to say my favorite is either Fallout 2 for PC, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, or Final Fantasy Tactics.

All you kids who love Master of Magic should check out Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. If you were dissapointed in the first AOW, be advised that this one is 10x better. SM has a random map generator too, which AOW2 and AOW1 don't. Anyway, it's basically Master of Magic with different races, internet play, and better graphics.

My favorite is the best game of all time:

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS

:)

After that, it goes like this-

Super Mario All-Stars
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Mario Kart
Final Fantasy VII
Earl Weaver's Baseball
Hero's Quest
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Madden '92
Mutant League Football
Final Fantasy VI - X-2
Super Metroid

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']All you kids who love Master of Magic should check out Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. If you were dissapointed in the first AOW, be advised that this one is 10x better. SM has a random map generator too, which AOW2 and AOW1 don't. Anyway, it's basically Master of Magic with different races, internet play, and better graphics.[/quote]

Funny you should say that. I would've chosen Master of Magic (PC) if I could only have one game with me on a desert island. :) I may have to check that out now... (also funny that you should address such a recommendation to "kids." I imagine that anyone with fond memories of MOM would be no spring chicken.)

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for PlayStation. You can't find a better RPG. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete is also very good.

My favorite by far is Pool of Radiance on the Commodore 64. Even tho I spent countless hours swapping between the 'adventure' disk and the 'battle' disk, and battling 40 kobols every other step, I loved clearing out the city one section at a time and learning all it's secrets. The gold box Forgotten Realms series got me into RPGs and gaming. The Bards Tale on C64 is a distant second.

The original Doom. Especially when you add in Doom Legacy. The original Contra, Bubble Bobble, FF7, FF6, and Metal Gear Solid are other favorites, as is Mario 64.

Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past certainly holds a special place in my heart. first game I ever really got into, first game I wanted to fully beat, one of the only games I can beat fully with no guide. I could go on and on about it, but it's a part of my childhood and will certainly be remembered by me...

A lot of other games have been great (again, on and on), and games still entertain me...

bread's done
Back