What is your favorite version of Mortal Kombat, and why?

alteredbeast

CAGiversary!
I used to favor MK2, but playing Midway Arcade Treasures 2 lately, I like how 3 plays more...but I really don't like the characters from 3.

Probably the first one, just because of how simple it was and how much the game really got popular because of the violence. To me there were no marked improvments to the game until MKDA.

Aw man, how do you expect me to concentrate with that hilarious sig...ok...*takes deep breath*....

:rofl:

All right, i'm better now. I think II was my favorite. It had all of the best parts of the original and really expanded on it without getting to stupid and/or goofy like III and IV. I haven't played any of the new ones though.

[quote name='basketkase543']I haven't played any of the new ones though.[/quote]

You should really pick up Deadly Alliance. It's great and you can get it for like 13 bucks used.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='basketkase543']I haven't played any of the new ones though.[/quote]

You should really pick up Deadly Alliance. It's great and you can get it for like 13 bucks used.[/quote]

Do you think i should go for Deception instead? Is it considerably better?

there was an actuallyt store for one and two. Three sucked and haven't played any of them sincew then. The sub zero game was a neat idea but lost in production. So I say 2 was best. Good new characters and fight system. When the animalities came out is when i stoped playing! oh yeah forgot about the babealities! Ah huh stupid!

[quote name='elprincipe']MKII is easily the best. Plays a lot better than any of the others. They ruined III.[/quote]

agreed... mk2 has to be the best of them.. but i haven't tried deception.

i thought alliance was good.. but gets old real quick.

I vote for 3 or 3 Ultimate. First game I can remember with multi tierd levels. Why 3 doesn't have Scorpion though is beyond me. What were they thinking?

As much as I like the second game, I can't choose it because they ruined Sub-Zero's Deep Freeze move. It's damn near impossible to connect unless they're right on top of you...

I'd have to go with the first game, if only because that was the one where Sub-Zero was the best. Ah, the memories... :D

MK2 is by far my most favorite. A great setting and feel to the game. No cute stuff. Fun, creative combos. Each character felt unique. Me and my friends especially liked how certain characters were "stronger" than others. For example, try uppercutting Baraka out of the air. It is damn hard and I have only seen it done with Kung Lao (who has the best uppercut). There are other fun superiority quirks like Jax's air punch and Reptile/Subzero/Scorpion's roundhouse kick which make the game exciting. They removed all of this with MK3 which introduced the pre-made combo system and forced all character's attacks to have the same priority. It just didn't feel right to have EVERY character able to uppercut their opponent out of the air.

The first MK is really great also, but it lacks a little bit of polish compared to MK2. It is a little more clunky feeling and the small number of characters limit variety. Also, Sub-Zero is overpowered. :p

Ugh, MK Trilogy for N64 is probably the worst console MK game ever. I actually bought it the day it was released and ended up returning it 3 hours later. The music and sound were horrible. It was disappointing.

MK3 for the playstation was one of the reasons why I bought a playstation shortly after release. The only real flaw was that the CD load times rendered Shang Tsung useless. :cry:

I have MK4 for the PC and I played a ton of it. They introduced Goro in the home version and for some reason he was exponentially harder than every other opponent, even the final boss. Kind of ruined the fun for me.

I had MK: Deadly Alliance for a while but I just couldn't get into it. Sold it.

I prefer to just play MK 1, 2, and 3 on my PC with MAME. 8)

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='basketkase543']I haven't played any of the new ones though.[/quote]

You should really pick up Deadly Alliance. It's great and you can get it for like 13 bucks used.[/quote]

Do you think i should go for Deception instead? Is it considerably better?[/quote]

Yes, get Depection. It has SO much more, especially if you have online PS2 or xbox.

I used to like 2 better, but 3 is my favorite now. Mainly because it is a much faster game with a great combo mechanic.

3 has my favorite version of Sub Zero as well.

II was my favorite. I think the series (mostly) sucked after that.

[quote name='Zing']
Ugh, MK Trilogy for N64 is probably the worst console MK game ever.[/quote]

You should play MK: Special Forces for the PS1 :rofl:

[quote name='Scahom1']II was my favorite. I think the series (mostly) sucked after that.

[quote name='Zing']
Ugh, MK Trilogy for N64 is probably the worst console MK game ever.[/quote]

You should play MK: Special Forces for the PS1 :rofl:[/quote]

or mk gold for dreamcast... i dunno if it was just me.. but that game was pretty lame and lacked ALL the good characters.. ive got my 0.01 copy of MK: DA from CC but ive yet to open it...

edit: got bored...

DLF.jpg

Right now Deception is my fav MK cause its a great improvement over Deadly Alliance and its full of replay value. They introduced new characters that are actually good this time like Havik and Kobra. There are little things like the portal and living forest stages that remind you of the old MKs. This is the most fun Ive had with an MK for a long time.

Toss up between 2 and 3. 2 had such depth, while 3 had kabal, quite possibly one of the coolest/weirdest characters in a fighting game.

Mine was MKII also, but I am really digging Deception so far... Playing on-line is a blast, even if I do get my butt handed to me a on a regular basis by these young-uns... :D

I have to go with MKII as my favorite old school choice, however I just got MKD yesterday and so think this is the best overall MK I've ever played

Definatly MKII. MK3/Ultimate MK3 felt... weird. And I didn't like Striker. But it had Noob Saibot/Smoke/Cyrax/Kabal/etc. They were all really cool. I still think the best fatality is Thunder Uppercut - Raiden - MK2 - Hold down high punch for whole round. It never gets old, even more if you play it on a broken ROM that makes a big loud noise every punch.

bread's done
Back