What is your opinion on the new 3ds xl

squishface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
For those who have got a chance to play with their new new 3ds xl  or try out a demo unit . What is your opinion of it ?

For me personally I have yet to try the new handheld . I'm curious on what people think about it. I know some people are still waiting for theirs to arrive or have just received them due to either shipping error or weather related issues.

im enjoying mine a ton, but it's also my very first 3DS so I couldn't really compare. the 3D doesn't bother me and I wonder if that's because of the new stabilization feature.

I'm depressed as balls. I ordered the MM the day preorders went up. Currently It is "In transit" 5 states away. I owned a 3DS XL and sold it to a family member the day I ordered the new one. It's killing me though. I'm actually forced into learning in college instead of pwning in SSB with Toon Link and Samus. LOL :D/ :whistle2:$ :pray: :whistle2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it a lot. Then again I never owned an XL Model so it's a nice upgrade. I don't think it's worth a $200 upgrade if you have an XL unless you want to play Xenoblade. If you don't own an XL, it's worth it for the XL Screen's Size.

The 2nd stick control nub is actual comfortable and works great.

Being an owner of both the XL and the New XL, I have got to say that I can't go back to the older system now. The faster load times, better 3D, and the C-Stick make the New 3DS a much better iteration of an already great console. The C-Stick still isn't as good as the dual analog design of the Vita, but it's a better solution than the cumbersome Circle Pad Pro. If you are on the fence about upgrading or buying your first 3DS system, I would say it's entirely worth the upgrade/purchase. If you already own a 3DS though and are happy with it, I would recommend adding a Vita to your collection instead maybe, but you certainly won't be disappointed by the New 3DS. 

Finally got around to opening my MH XL today only to discover the left speaker is defective.  Of course I didn't discover this until after I did the extremely annoying system transfer.  :(

GS is trying to find me a replacement, but I am not very hopeful.

I do like the improvements on the 3d, but do not like the placement of the stylus storage.

I love mine. I upgraded from an original Blue one, so the size difference is NICE. I figured to keep the old one to play DS games at the office, but it's really hard to go back to the smaller one.

Really the XL makes Smash Bros. my favorite game on there, it just looks so great, and it's easy to see and play. I thought the graphics were a bit small on the old one.

I'm glad I didn't buy a regular XL and held out for this one, but I wish I would have had a DSIXL, because the size difference is so nice.

I was able to get the MH4 Edition New 3DS and I love it :D I have small hands and sometimes reaching the "C nub" is a stretch, but I'm getting use to it. I like the slight increase in speed when loading games / eshop / Mii's. Supposedly MH4 even uses better textures on the New 3DS.

And it's a minor thing, but I really like that when opening / adjusting the 3DS and top screen, it no longer makes that loud *CLICK* noise - it doesn't make any more noise and locks into place.

Definitely worth the upgrade :D I went from a 3DS XL to this, so maybe more of a side upgrade, but the improvements are worth it to this Nintendo fangirl!

I downloaded Moon Chronicles last night as I figured since I have the C-Stick now it would be a good game to have. The game is alright, but the download speed was what impressed me. It took no time at all to finish downloading on the New 3DS. 

I passed on the 3DS when it was announced. I had a DS Lite and after trying the then new 3DS, I was not impressed with the "3D" Nintendo was pushing.

Then I got to mess with a demo of the New 3DS.

I now own a Black new 3DS. O:)

the special editions don't impress me, i may get the retro NES skin for it though.

Played the Bravely Default demo... bought the full game.

I downloaded Moon Chronicles last night as I figured since I have the C-Stick now it would be a good game to have. The game is alright, but the download speed was what impressed me. It took no time at all to finish downloading on the New 3DS.
Same here, downloaded a few demos... wow.

So far I am rather enjoying mine. This is my first 3ds and the first handheld that I have owned since the Vita at launch and then the original ds at launch. Its not hard to hold and the games are just darn right fun.

I'm loving it so far. A lot better than the original xl imo.

Monster Hunter 3 and Resident Evil Revelations play so much better with the c stick. The 3d is much better and doesn't bother me as much.

Also, the cartridge slot placement seems to be better since I haven't had any game ejects after taking it out of its case.

Hmm... My MM edition still clicks when opening the screen.

I was able to get the MH4 Edition New 3DS and I love it :D I have small hands and sometimes reaching the "C nub" is a stretch, but I'm getting use to it. I like the slight increase in speed when loading games / eshop / Mii's. Supposedly MH4 even uses better textures on the New 3DS.

And it's a minor thing, but I really like that when opening / adjusting the 3DS and top screen, it no longer makes that loud *CLICK* noise - it doesn't make any more noise and locks into place.

Definitely worth the upgrade :D I went from a 3DS XL to this, so maybe more of a side upgrade, but the improvements are worth it to this Nintendo fangirl!

Pros: 

• Bigger screen
  • Slimmer
  • Head Tracking 3D
  • ZR+ZL Buttons
  • Direction Nipple
  • Better Quality Speakers
Cons:

• Direction Nipple
  • Auto Brightness
  • MicroSD slot
  • Absence of AC Adapter
Overall a positive experience.  8/10

Pros:

• Bigger screen
  • Slimmer
  • Head Tracking 3D
  • ZR+ZL Buttons
  • Direction Nipple
  • Better Quality Speakers
Cons:

• Direction Nipple
  • Auto Brightness
  • MicroSD slot
  • Absence of AC Adapter
Overall a positive experience. 8/10
Only thing I've used the nub on is Majora's Mask. There's not a whole lot out that takes advantage of it just yet. Kinda makes Nintendo look like dumbasses trying to advertise it as this big new advancement when it's not compatible with anything. You can turn auto brightness off in the settings, so that can't really be a complaint. The micro SD I'll agree with you on. It's stupid. I hate micro SD. But what I hate even more is that you have to remove and risk breaking the extremely flimsy and cheap casing to get to it. Whatever moron decided that would be a good alternative to just having a slot on the side should get a vasectomy.

Pros by far, FAR outweigh the cons. The direction nub isn't  a negative. It works well enough, and is very handy for games that use it. I agree with the microSD slot complaint. Good god, I thought the "pop!" when I opened my case was a hand grenade going off!

this is a very helpful thread.

I have a couple of questions. first being, is the new 3ds xl screen larger than the previous 3ds xl? secondly how easy is it to transfer date from a 3ds to the new xl. I see the instructons all over and it seems pretty easy, but I always like to hear from people who have done it.

I got an original 3ds years ago as a gift to myself for a promotion at work. I was younger, not a father and my eyes had not given up yet. I now have a hard time with the 3ds screen, so an xl is the obvious pick for me. just curious if the newer one is the way to go. the price point is not that far apart. guess it is time to take the plunge. my guess is it might be the last handheld system I buy.

this is a very helpful thread.

I have a couple of questions. first being, is the new 3ds xl screen larger than the previous 3ds xl? secondly how easy is it to transfer date from a 3ds to the new xl. I see the instructons all over and it seems pretty easy, but I always like to hear from people who have done it.

I got an original 3ds years ago as a gift to myself for a promotion at work. I was younger, not a father and my eyes had not given up yet. I now have a hard time with the 3ds screen, so an xl is the obvious pick for me. just curious if the newer one is the way to go. the price point is not that far apart. guess it is time to take the plunge. my guess is it might be the last handheld system I buy.
Transferring is very easy, as long as you still have your old 3DS. Might take awhile depending on how much stuff you have on it. As far as screen size? Very minimal if anything.

I am loving the shit out of mine traded in my Vita for it best thing I could have done. I like the auto brightness actually and I don't use the 3D at all still makes me hella sick anytime I try to use it.

I am loving the shit out of mine traded in my Vita for it best thing I could have done. I like the auto brightness actually and I don't use the 3D at all still makes me hella sick anytime I try to use it.
You can turn off the auto-brightness as well, I found it annoying myself and turned it off immediately.

I really love my New 3DS though. Aside from the SD card placement, I can't say anything bad about the system aside from my complaints with Nintendo regarding the eShop and terrible usage of online features. The N3DS has a much sleeker and overall better design and button placement than the original. The superior processing power makes games load so much faster, the speakers and screens are nicer as well. I can't say that I would have traded my Vita in for it, but definitely would recommend anyone on the fence get one.

I purchased one last weekend. This is my first handheld purchase since I bought a DS lite in 2008 (which is still used by my kids) and I'm impressed. I didn't like the 3d when the 3ds first came out but it doesn't bother me on the N3ds if I bump the slider down a touch. I wish I could find a reasonably-priced copy of OoT to play but there are plenty of games I've missed to keep me busy.

Also, the Hori screen protectors are so stinking easy to put on now. I thought for sure I'd be fiddling with them for hours, eventually tearing one off and buying another set but I was done in less than 5 minutes.

I purchased one last weekend. This is my first handheld purchase since I bought a DS lite in 2008 (which is still used by my kids) and I'm impressed. I didn't like the 3d when the 3ds first came out but it doesn't bother me on the N3ds if I bump the slider down a touch. I wish I could find a reasonably-priced copy of OoT to play but there are plenty of games I've missed to keep me busy.

Also, the Hori screen protectors are so stinking easy to put on now. I thought for sure I'd be fiddling with them for hours, eventually tearing one off and buying another set but I was done in less than 5 minutes.
You can buy OoT on the eShop for $40. Probably the cheapest way you'll get the game at this point.

The micro SD I'll agree with you on. It's stupid. I hate micro SD. But what I hate even more is that you have to remove and risk breaking the extremely flimsy and cheap casing to get to it. Whatever moron decided that would be a good alternative to just having a slot on the side should get a vasectomy.
This is the only thing I do NOT like about the Micro SD implementation. I have Micro SD cards anyway, and I do not own any previous 3DS models.. so I can see people not liking the ability to use their old cards though. With Nintendo's idiotic account system (compared to Sony/MS's accounts) I doubt i'll be buying much digitally anyway from Nintendo, i'll stick with the physical cards. So my 32GB Micro SD i stuck in there will probably never get filled.

Absolutely STUPID to make the card under that case needing to remove 2 screws to get to it. And the case does not come off easy either.

But I do see the Micro SD card being easily ejected and lost if it was on the side/front.

does anyone else have issues with the 3D going fluttery? I just bought my first 3DS and I'm getting used to it. It's fun and love everything about it but I feel like the 3D gets wonky sometimes?

Is it a brightness issue indoors, or maybe because I wear glasses it can't see my eyes due to glare?

hmmm

[quote name="carlosrossi" post="12572095" timestamp="1426564673"]does anyone else have issues with the 3D going fluttery? I just bought my first 3DS and I'm getting used to it. It's fun and love everything about it but I feel like the 3D gets wonky sometimes?

Is it a brightness issue indoors, or maybe because I wear glasses it can't see my eyes due to glare?

hmmm[/quote]
If you're referring to what I think you are (the screen seems to cut out when the 3d is on), it'll do that if you move your head around because it's trying to adjust to your head placement.

It will also do that if it thinks there is an object near your head since it doesn't know what to adjust to. I have two cockatiels and if I play with the 3d on when they're on my shoulders, the 3d goes crazy.

I think it's the glasses that mess it up. I have readers and it does that sometimes, but I think I've learned to hold it better because it doesn't do it nearly as bad as when I first started using it. 

I've noticed some jerkiness if I move my head at all, which is to be expected. Otherwise the 3D works great for me and much better than the original XL. I don't play with the 3D on very often though as it starts to make my eyes strain after awhile, especially when I am playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. 

I picked one up this weekend. My impressions:

- The 3D works now. Before it was, "Oh, that's a neat novelty in that it works if my head and hands stay perfectly still but we'll just turn that off because that's not the real world..." Now it works and you can just leave the 3D on and the 3D actually adds to the games, in my opinion.

- I like the Amiibo integration. I have a Wii U so it all works out for me. The Amiibos are kind of a neat add-on gameplay mechanism. My only complaint is the same as all of the new features in that they tend to overuse them in a gimmicky way. While not really related to the 3DS, on the Wii U Mario Party 10 has an Amiibo-oriented game which has you placing the Amiibo on the Gamepad to roll the dice, each and every time. Just kind of dumb. Why not just let the person push a button? Because then you wouldn't be overusing the new device. Oh, the Amiibo can be shared for like games like Super Smash Bros on the Wii U and on the 3DS - it just seems to "get it" which is nice.

- The load times are better because of the faster processor, as has been mentioned.

- I like the button layout better. The Home button is dead center of the screen on the bottom and the start/select buttons are better situated off to the bottom right of the lower panel which makes more sense to me than the older longer buttons along the bottom of the screen.

Everything else is pretty much just like the 3DS XL which I always liked.

bread's done
Back