What joints do you crack?

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
One of my worst habbits is 'cracking' my knuckles. Since I started a few years ago, it has extended to other joints of my body. I regularily crack my knuckles, wrists, knees, toes, neck, spine, elbows, and occasionally my ankles.

I used to crack my knuckles and ankles alot, but I only crack them once in a while now. I think I crack my spine the most.

I can crack and pop the joints in my toes just by bending them, it creeps out other people when I do it because it sounds so horrible. I can also basically grind my ankles just by rotating them so speical effort required, though that it due to my feet being messed up. I had flat feet, but had surgery to correct it, so now the bone structure in my ankles is so messed up that it hurts most of the time to move my ankles.

Neck, Spine, Knuckles, Toes, Ankle, and Jaw.

Why does everyone flip out whenever you crack anything in class? It's not like they don't do it.

Ankles, back. I usually can't crack my knuckles, but after a few songs in Guitar Hero they pop pretty easily.

I voted everything but elbows.

can get 3 pops per finger, including thumbs. I can also do the ankle grinding thing without much effort. Hurts like all hell, but it gets me attention. :baby:

My wrists are my favorite, because they do this very deep thud pop.

All of the above for me. I pop my sternum from time to time (if thats what its called when you bend backwards and hear a deep pop in your chest). My partner gets freaked the hell out when I pop my neck in the morning.

Hell, I sometimes constantly look for something to pop. Though I always pop my fingers by going from a close fist and extending out each finger rapidly starting with my pinky. Doing it too much hurts afterwhile. And I've always wondered if the old wives tale was true or not

[quote name='Purple Flames']
BTW, are there any long-term risks for cracking your joints or is that just an old wives' tale?[/QUOTE]

From a quick google search, it seems that there are no bad effects from cracking your knuckles. Your grip may becoming week after 35 years though.

Cracking your spine is probably a whole 'nother story.

I don't purposely crack anything except my knuckles, when they get sore. That doesn't stop every goddamn joint form cracking as soon as I try and move. Painful shit.

My wrists seem to pop on their own-- my fingers I'll only pop if they have that horrible feeling of pressure behind them, my toes I can pop but I try not to as I've got some horrible issue with my feet and if I pop a toe, I'll have the worlds worst foot cramp for the next 10 hours.

I do my best to leave all the cracking and popping to my chiropractor. He mostly works on my back, neck, and shoulders, but on occasion has had to pull the legs and arms and the rare hand issue.

[quote name='Purple Flames']
BTW, are there any long-term risks for cracking your joints or is that just an old wives' tale?[/quote]

As was stated earlier the only long term effects are a lessened grip (if you crack you knuckles). Some scientist/doctor did a study on himself of this and after a few decades he couldnt unscrew peanut butter jars as easily with the hand he cracked as he did with the one he didn't.

I figure crackin my knuckles is no more detrimental to my health than excessive masturbation... and I ain't blind yet.

I don't crack anything, but my boyfriend cracks just about everything due to injuries from football and wrestling. His neck, back, nose, toes... etc,etc,etc....

Every joint mentioned in the poll (although I don't do my elbows too often since it hurts). I have also managed to learn to pop my shoulders and the joint on my inner thigh (where your leg bone [femur] joins to your pelvic bone). Weird thing is, most of the popping I do is because of one or more previous sports injuries. I pop my ankles because I injured my ankles playing soccer. Shoulders because of hockey. Wrist due to soccer. Hmmm... violence doesn't do well with my body. I should have figured this out earlier.

[quote name='Magehart']As was stated earlier the only long term effects are a lessened grip (if you crack you knuckles). Some scientist/doctor did a study on himself of this and after a few decades he couldnt unscrew peanut butter jars as easily with the hand he cracked as he did with the one he didn't.

I figure crackin my knuckles is no more detrimental to my health than excessive masturbation... and I ain't blind yet.[/QUOTE]

There is evidence that joint cracking, at least in the knuckles can cause some impairment in grip strength and predispose to arthritis though it seems to matter more if you also do a lot of manual labor to begin with. Not sure if playing videogames would fall in that category.

Shoulders and hips aren't on that list...

Besides those, occasional back and fingers. My right elbow has been locking up recently and wont move until I pop it.

Everything on the last, on me, cracks on its own. :cry:

That, and the shaft of my penis.

I crack my knuckles periodically but not all the time. My knees crack involuntarily every time I bend them. Damn I'm old.

[quote name='javeryh']I crack my knuckles periodically but not all the time. My knees crack involuntarily every time I bend them. Damn I'm old.[/QUOTE]

Damn you're old.

[quote name='Brak']Everything on the last, on me, cracks on its own. :cry:

That, and the shaft of my penis.[/quote]

Have you actually ever had that crack? Sometimes when I'm getting a little zealous, it'll pop... Its weird.

[quote name='javeryh']I crack my knuckles periodically but not all the time. My knees crack involuntarily every time I bend them. Damn I'm old.[/QUOTE]

I'm 17, and that happens to me. How do you think that makes me feel?

[quote name='Kayden']Have you actually ever had that crack? Sometimes when I'm getting a little zealous, it'll pop... Its weird.[/QUOTE]
I've never had it occur, myself. I do know that it's possible, though. ( MTV's "Love Line" FTW~ )

bread's done
Back