What kind of inventory system do you use?

OmegaRicochet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys,
Of course I realize a lot of members use the CAG video game inventory system (as do I), but I was wondering if people use any other website versions as well? I used to use IGN back in the day (it was the first inventory system I used, so I guess that makes it the "measuring stick" for me). The thing I liked most about it was the complexity of it (meaning you could view your games based on just about any parameters you wanted and the fact that you could catalog DVDs and whatnot) even though it was rather clunky. Anyway, I'm currently trying to do a complete inventory of all of my games current and previous generations and I want to find another website to use on top of the CAG system. Any suggestions?

Backloggery now. I used to use IGN but whatever they've done to it has made it impossible for me to add games. I use CAG for a Wish List.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']i use what is known as "the heap"[/QUOTE]
Me too. Actually I use what I call my 'couch/shelf' system. It used to be a pullout couch in my downstairs tv room, till I started piling my games on there and that's where they ended up staying.:lol:

Backloggery is okay. I also use Game Trading Zone. They have a really extensive list of games, accessories, DVD's, and music among other things.

i used to use ign a long time ago.now i use gamespot for logging my games.i also started logging my collection here on cag but that was more just to do because i had nothing to do at the time,i will complete it though.

I took a database class in college and learned how to properly make professional databases using Microsoft Access, so I started making my own database of my collection. That's how I roll, son.

Thanks for the posts guys! I've looked at just about all of those options, and I'll check a few more out. As for making a database, I had that class a while back and no longer remember how to properly set it up (this is an option I've considered before). It's a great idea!

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Backloggery now. I used to use IGN but whatever they've done to it has made it impossible for me to add games. I use CAG for a Wish List.[/QUOTE]

I still use IGN because of the notes I can keep (so I can note what other related items I have with my games like guides or any promo stuff). But as you said, it's been broken for so long... they're supposedly looking into it. I tried CAG's system but I just don't like it.

CAG's is way too simple for me. At least Backloggery has more in-depth stuff, when I look at my CAG collection it's just a boring list. It's good for wishlists though thanks to the price-tracker.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']CAG's is way too simple for me. At least Backloggery has more in-depth stuff, when I look at my CAG collection it's just a boring list. It's good for wishlists though thanks to the price-tracker.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I just wish Backloggery had a mass delete type off option.. It's a pain in the ass after trading in or selling a bunch of games to go through and delete everything.. But other than that it's great.

I had IGN's for a long time, but as others mentioned whatever they did to it now is just annoying.

Didn't even know CAG had one, maybe I'll start using that :)

I just got back from IGN (surprisingly, my account is still active, even though I haven't used the site in over a year). I can't believe how different it is.... You can't even see games in alphabetical order, at least as far as I could tell. Crazy.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I have all of my games sorted by system, publisher, developer, metacritic score, and year in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet.[/QUOTE]

I use Excel too, sorted by system, whether it is sealed/open, CIB or no box/case/manual, price I paid for it, price I sold it for if I got rid of it.

I have considered something like that in the past, but there is a lot of work involved in that method (I'm somewhat of an Excel junkie, as I use it to catalog lots of things). I think once I give my backlog the once-over, I'll probably create a spreadsheet of some sort. Thanks again for all the advice!

IGN's, but after their last facelift/change I'm having an extremely difficult time adding new stuff.

I'm currently using CAGs and had imported my IGN list. I wish it didn't dupe the stuff I already had though.

I just remembered after seeing a similar thread, I also have a column that is for whether I beat the game or not. I suppose people could do this for trophies/achievements too.

There's a trick to adding stuff on IGN's: You have to do a search, then click the star to add it to your wishlist, then edit it from there. Pain in the ass, yes, but I'm not about to port my 1700+ game collection to something else.
That's really the only issue I have with IGN's collection database. They're getting pretty good at adding XBLA Indie games and iPhone games these days, even.

bread's done
Back