What kinda feedback would you give in this situation?

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Okay - I need advice.
My brother started back to school earlier this week. Couple of weeks ago, figuring I'd do something nice, I bid on an auction for a DVD boxed set - figured we could watch it before he went back to school.
The guy had flawless 140+ feedback. The DVD set went for a very nice price, but the seller charged $5 for First Class shipping. Figured that since he'd in California, it'd be okay, since First Class usually arrives in 3-4 business days... I didn't mind an extra couple of bucks to get it on time. The auction ended on Wednesday, so I figured it'd hopefully arrive by Saturday.
Saturday comes and goes, no boxed set. I emailed the guy and asked him if he'd send me the DC number for the package. He emailed me back and said that he wasn't sending it until Monday. I figured that was fine since my brother didn't start school until a week later and told him that it was okay as long as he got the DVDs to me by that Friday (four business days later!) I asked him to bump up the shipping to Priority since the DVDs would probably weigh at least a pound and first class costs the same as Priority after 13 ounces.
The seller didn't reply to my email. Friday came and went, no DVDs. I emailed him back and asked him again for the DC number and he said "Package was sent Tuesday." NO other reply, even though I emailed him a couple times more asking him for a confirmation number and to confirm he sent them first class. He's just remained silent since then.
The DVDs arrived today, two weeks after I paid for the auction. Turns out that he NOT ONLY held them a week, he also sent them bottom-of-the-barrel $1.40 media mail, no delivery confirmation, no nothing. He didn't even bother telling me he'd sent the movies Media even though I told him I needed them by Friday and I'd paid $5 for First-Class. Also, the package is actually postmarked last Wednesday.
However, the DVD set is in absolutely pristine condition.

He's already given me feedback, so I don't need to worry about backlash. Given this situation: would you post neutral or negative feedback?

Neutral. He DID send the item, even if it was a crappy way to send it. Just leave a neutral and talk about how he lied.. great item, lied about and slow shipping

Neutral or positive, negative would be rediculous.

You paid $5 for shipping big deal, it wasn't like it was $15. If you order anything online even a small pen you'll pay at least that and you aren't going to get overnight shipping, it'll be media or first class. You must have never sold before, there are other costs involved than just the media mail, he had to pay for packaging ebay fees, paypal fees if you used paypal etc.. and yes those do matter because those go under HANDLING charges.

If anything neutral for him waiting a week to send it, but if I were in your shoes I probably would either give no feedback at all or positive. Why do you need "revenge" on the guy? you got your product in great condition now.

[quote name='slidecage']couldnt you go back and demand 3.50 back since you paid for first class shipping and they sent it media mail.[/QUOTE]

There's not a $3.50 difference between first class and media mail or even close to that, it's more like 25 cents or 75 cents.

I side with the seller on the costs, you paid $5 get over it.

But I side with the buyer on having to wait so long.

Neutral, since he broke his binding agreement to send them first class at the very least. He pretty much lied in his auction description and most people leave negatives for that. Considering you got them in good condition evn though they were late, it at least merits a neutral.

The point of negative feedback isn't revenge! It's to let other people know how your experience went. Part of what I paid for is first-class shipping, and I didn't get what I ordered. If I paid for 3-day shipping from EBGames and didn't get my games for two weeks, I'd be really annoyed - especially if I'd needed the games earlier.
Asking for a partial refund wouldn't work, because I can't even get the guy to answer my regular emails. Even though I communicated to him that I needed the games by a certain date, he felt that saving three bucks was more important to him than fulfilling his part of the contract... right?

The point isn't the cost though, it's that he paid for one service (First Class) and received a completely different one. Since you still got your items, I wouldn't leave a negative, but a neutral like was said above, explaining that he lied about shipping and was slow in sending it.

I dont leave neutrals, if everything goes fine and according to the plan, then they get a positive. If not they get a negative, you're out time and money cause of him, and if he cared about his feedback he would have stuck to the original plan.

Neutral.. just try to fit in eBay's small comment field that he was slow in sending, didn't send by method agreed to, and doesn't respond to emails well

Well as I've stated before the guy didn't save $3 to send it media instead of first class. They're very close to the same cost not even a dollar difference.

I agree with everyone else, neutral.

It sounds like to me from what you're telling me you went out of your way to pay more for shipping and told him you'd pay $5 instead of x amount to get it faster. Correct me if that's wrong but it sounds that way from what you're saying. If that's the case he didn't break any contract and just broke a verbal commitment to you which there is a difference.

A negative feedback in my opinion is warranted when

-you never get the item
-the item is very different than described in the auction

Ebay isn't like Amazon, they don't say "your item is to be received by xx/xx." Now if it had been over a month sure give a negative. But why do people expect to receive products insanely fast on Ebay? I never have.

Negative Feedback on Ebay is/should be like a country having nukes, you use them to intimidate the other person to get you your product just about how it's described, but you don't actually use it unless there is no alternative.

That's how I see it anyway, and that's why I have 155 auctions and 100% feedback, and have never given a negative. I've only had to threaten to.

No, the description of the item actually said he'd send it First Class - he just downgraded me on his own. I don't expect stuff to be sent lightning-fast, but I do expect that the seller to ship items in a timely manner (not a week - the next couple of business days, unless they email me and tell me otherwise), and I expect them to send the packages via the promised and paid-for method along with delivery confirmation. And if that can't happen for some reason, I expect some sort of communication! Communication is key! I hate it when I get no reply to an email. As a seller, I do what I can for a buyer to let him know what's up, and that's sort of what I expect in return.
If a major retailer did this to me, I'd be on the phone to their CS department. This guy isn't a major retailer - I don't have any sort of recourse other than feedback.
However - this is exactly why I asked you guys! I figured that I might be in the wrong because I'm just annoyed as hell right now. I'll post a neutral and leave it there. Thanks, everyone!

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']There's not a $3.50 difference between first class and media mail or even close to that, it's more like 25 cents or 75 cents.

But I side with the buyer on having to wait so long.[/QUOTE]

I charge $5 for shipping if an item goes for over $25, but I mail it the next day. The seller dragged his feet and shipped it the wrong way. The buyer should get at least a $1 back for the seller's mistake.

I was thinking he didn't do anything really that wrong up until you said he shipped Media when you paid for 1st class. eBay/PayPal gives 7 days to ship after payment is made I believe, and taking the full time is kind of cruddy (especially when you are contacting him and letting him know you are anxious to get it), but it's a pain to get to the post office for a lot of people.

Negative is probably too strong. I'd say either positive or neutral and be sure to mention in the feedback that you paid for first class but he sent Media Mail.

Actually contact him and see if he will refund your S+H amount since he downgraded the shipping without your okay. If he will leave good positive. If he doesn't, neutral or positive with a crappy comment about him switching the shipping on you.

And for something close to but not over 1 pound the diff between Priority/1st class and Media Mail would be over $2. You're a bit off VidgamesgivemeA_D_D (less than $2 for Media, $3.85 for Priority) A DVD set would weigh a lot more than a single video game. If he put it in a box it may have even topped a pound and the difference would be even greater.

That's true - I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and ask if he'll refund part of the shipping cost. If he's fair about the whole thing, I'll be willing to give him positive - maybe he's just completely unaware of the difference between media and first class.
He literally paid $1.40 for shipping (it's printed on the package), which is quite a bit less than the $3.85 for Priority or First Class. But, seriously, two bucks - I don't *care* about two bucks. It's the fact that he delayed the hell out of the package without even a fuck-you-very-much after I asked him to send it ASAP.
Thanks again, everyone!

NEGATIVE. The main problem is not that he charged an extra dollar or two for shipping (not good but tolerable). The main problem is that he kept the item for a week or so. The least he could have done was send it priority to help make the situation better. He didn't do that, thus he is not deserving of a positive. A week extra is ridiculous, I would leave him neg without a second thought. Anyways, hope this helps.

Oh BTW, since he has flawless feedback, he might be eager to keep it. Email him for a refund (for both the shipping difference and your time) and if he obliges, then leave him a positive for his willingless to fix the problem. Otherwise neg him.

[quote name='greenbags125']NEGATIVE. The main problem is not that he charged an extra dollar or two for shipping (not good but tolerable). The main problem is that he kept the item for a week or so. The least he could have done was send it priority to help make the situation better. He didn't do that, thus he is not deserving of a positive. A week extra is ridiculous, I would leave him neg without a second thought. Anyways, hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I've haven't had a chance to get my recent Disgaea auction out in the mail to my buyer, but the difference is, I will send it priority to make up for it. Last time I got delayed about 4 days, I priority mailed it from the kiosk on Friday morning. Buyer got their item on Saturday or Monday and commented "fast shipping, thanks!".

I will do the same with my Disgaea auction. After all I charged $5 for shipping, they deserve to get their game swiftly. Either 1st class the day after they win the auction, or if I drag my feet I spend the extra $2 or so on priority mail. You can't sit on an item and then also ship it slow-ass media mail.

Leave him a neutral. I recently left a neutral for a seller that never answered emails, game took almost 2 weeks to arrivem, similiar experience. Here's what I left - Neutral: "doesn't answer emails - 12 days to receive, no updates - item as described"

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']There's not a $3.50 difference between first class and media mail or even close to that, it's more like 25 cents or 75 cents.

But I side with the buyer on having to wait so long.[/QUOTE]

Wow... YES, there is. On items that are more than 1 lb. $3.85 is the STANDARD base rate for Priority (As the OP posted, anything over 1lb cannot be sent First Class anymore, it automatically bumps up to Priority). Media Mail, however, would still remain at most $1.75.. that's a noticable $2.10. Not necessarily $3.00, but certainly not 25 or 75 cents...

ok I just realized we're talking about a DVD Set, I must of missed that part my bad. Yeah it would of been upgraded to Priority and would of been much more expensive than media.

He should refund part of the money or get neutral/negative.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Wow... YES, there is. On items that are more than 1 lb. $3.85 is the STANDARD base rate for Priority (As the OP posted, anything over 1lb cannot be sent First Class anymore, it automatically bumps up to Priority). Media Mail, however, would still remain at most $1.75.. that's a noticable $2.10. Not necessarily $3.00, but certainly not 25 or 75 cents...[/QUOTE]

Where are you guys getting Priority from? I said FIRST CLASS and MEDIA were very close in price. NOT PRIORITY AND MEDIA. And why are you assuming it was over 1 lb he never said it was ?????

Here is what it's usually going to look like when you sell something under a lb

Priority Mail $3.85
First Class 1.75
Media Mail $1.30-$1.50

Notice there is a huge gap between Priority and the other two only, but NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT PRIORITY MAIL, geez. The other two are close in price, that's all I said.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']
Where are you guys getting Priority from? I said FIRST CLASS and MEDIA were very close in price. NOT PRIORITY AND MEDIA. And why are you assuming it was over 1 lb he never said it was ?????

Here is what it's usually going to look like when you sell something under a lb

Priority Mail $3.85
First Class 1.75
Media Mail $1.30-$1.50

Notice there is a huge gap between Priority and the other two only, but NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT PRIORITY MAIL, geez. The other two are close in price, that's all I said.
[/QUOTE]

A DVD box set weighs more than a single video game. Your estimate is off.

ADD (good nick for you BTW) updated his post, so nm.

Yeah, whatever. I missed one little thing about the box set, kiss my ass.

Anyway, the guy could not give First Class and shouldn't of offered it, but technically, he never offered Priority mail. It was his screw up for offering something he couldn't give.

Same situation here too except I haven't recieved my item yet... I paid 8.99USD for shipping for a usb to xbox cord and this guy says it'll come 5-7days in my email. Ok whatever, I guess it'll go fine and guess what it's day 15 and I still haven't received my usb cord. Emailed him today.

Still haven't recieved item!

Neutral or negative. I think you rate the entire experience of dealing with the person. He has two problems.

1. He didn't respond to your emails. That is understandable if you were bugging him every day about it and he only took two days to ship, but he waited over a week.

2. He lied about how he would ship it. If he charged you $5 and you assumed he would ship first-class, well, that's a different story. But since he told you he would, then he made the mistake.

I once got a negative because I didn't ship to a guy on a Sunday (yeah, he was an idiot). Your case is completely different, however.

[quote name='masterh']The point of negative feedback isn't revenge! It's to let other people know how your experience went. Part of what I paid for is first-class shipping, and I didn't get what I ordered. If I paid for 3-day shipping from EBGames and didn't get my games for two weeks, I'd be really annoyed - especially if I'd needed the games earlier.
Asking for a partial refund wouldn't work, because I can't even get the guy to answer my regular emails. Even though I communicated to him that I needed the games by a certain date, he felt that saving three bucks was more important to him than fulfilling his part of the contract... right?[/QUOTE]

Leave a negative, especially since they already left you feedback. Don't worry about ruining their perfect feedback score, they could have sent your item the way they said they were going to. They also could have sent it somewhat close to the day you paid them and it still would have got there on time for you even with the Media Mail shipping. Since they did neither, this warrants a negative. Leave a remark that they used cheaper, slower shipping and had poor communication, but that the items arrived in good shape.

Or you could also take the shady way out if you're really upset. Since you said they didn't use delivery confirmation... no don't scam them that would be a bad idea.

Did the auction state that he would send out the item immediately? That it would include DC? If not, then you need to leave him positive feedback.

I'd find out where he lives and go there and kill everyone within a 3 mile radius while yelling "How's this for Media Mail, biatch?!??!?!"

I'd give a negative.

If he's not responding, and not willing to work with you, negative. Other people have to know. I'd want to know that about him before I bid on a item.

If the deal goes as planned - positive
If the deal takes some working out, and leaves you with a bad taste - neutral
If the deal is wrong, and they don't want to work with you - negative

I'd leave a positive if ultimately I got what I paid for even if the experience wasn't perfect. I'd only leave a negative or neutral for something egregious.

[quote name='adrianchan56']Same situation here too except I haven't recieved my item yet... I paid 8.99USD for shipping for a usb to xbox cord and this guy says it'll come 5-7days in my email. Ok whatever, I guess it'll go fine and guess what it's day 15 and I still haven't received my usb cord. Emailed him today.

Still haven't recieved item![/QUOTE]

By any chance did you order this on ConsoleStop.com? Cause if you did the same thing happend to me took me almost a month to get and when it finally got here it didnt work. I just ended up making my own usb to xbox adapter.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Neutral or positive, negative would be rediculous.

You paid $5 for shipping big deal, it wasn't like it was $15. If you order anything online even a small pen you'll pay at least that and you aren't going to get overnight shipping, it'll be media or first class. You must have never sold before, there are other costs involved than just the media mail, he had to pay for packaging ebay fees, paypal fees if you used paypal etc.. and yes those do matter because those go under HANDLING charges.

If anything neutral for him waiting a week to send it, but if I were in your shoes I probably would either give no feedback at all or positive. Why do you need "revenge" on the guy? you got your product in great condition now.[/QUOTE]

What he said... (The blight of an eBay seller)

If the seller stated in the auction that he will ship using 1st class, then he end up shipping using cheaper method, then you can complain about it and ask for some of the $5 back.

But if it were me, since the DVD arrived and is in good condition, I would just give feedback (either positive or neutral) and forget about the trade. I would probably mention in the feedback that the seller shipped via cheaper shipping method than stated in the auction. It won't do much for you, but will help future buyers.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Did the auction state that he would send out the item immediately? That it would include DC? If not, then you need to leave him positive feedback.[/QUOTE]

Does an auction really need to state when they will send out the item? It is kind of implied that they will send it out immediately, and if not ASAP. Just like an online store, I would expect that they will process and send out the item within a day or two provided that they have received payment. Package it up while the auction is running, not like it takes more than a couple minutes to do so. If a seller is going to wait several days to send out an item or ship slower than what they say, they should indicate this before someone pays them.

[quote name='Big Daddy Ant']By any chance did you order this on ConsoleStop.com? Cause if you did the same thing happend to me took me almost a month to get and when it finally got here it didnt work. I just ended up making my own usb to xbox adapter.[/QUOTE]

Nah I won it from some guy named ejgames (98% feedback i think). I'm hoping my product comes and works. But either way his feedback is going down!

Even if he leaves negative it would probably be overshadowed by all his good feedback.

Give him a chance to refund shipping, if he doesnt then negative him. It may not get noticed but you'll be killing his perfect feedback :D

bread's done
Back