What makes you buy a USED game online? Price? Rep? Free Shippping?

Tsiawd

CAGiversary!
I am debating on opening up an ebay or some sort of online store. I own and operate a used game store atm but was thinking of expanding to some online sales. What factors play a role in your decisions? Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Also to anyone who shops/trades at gamestop; would offering the same price in cash that gamestop gives in credit have any factor on you selling/trading your games?

Thanks!

Price and condition are important but the first thing I look at is the description of the item. If the seller doesn't provide a good description, then I know it's one of those BS sellers who hide behind thier generic descriptions of items.

Another important thing is actual shipping/handling costs. I bought a $16 game one... and ended up paying $10 in shipping... partially my fault but the seller advertised in big bold letters "$4 flat rate shipping!" so I didn't think to look at the other costs... another $3 for handling and $3 for (required) insurance.

[quote name='Tsiawd']I am debating on opening up an ebay or some sort of online store. I own and operate a used game store atm but was thinking of expanding to some online sales. What factors play a role in your decisions? Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Also to anyone who shops/trades at gamestop; would offering the same price in cash that gamestop gives in credit have any factor on you selling/trading your games?

Thanks![/quote]

You've got to have better trade-in and used prices than GameStop, only accept complete games in trade-ins, and sell and accept trade-ins for classic plastic. Those three are key.

Main factor for me is knowing what I'm getting. i.e. is the particular game complete disc/manual/case or not? I love to see a picture of the actual item but that's not a deal breaker if the listing spells out what is included. EB/GS not guaranteeing case and manual is why I haven't bought a single used game from them since the merge. Prior I would buy from EB.com all the time.

Condition of the disc isn't a big deal to me as long as it plays 100%. However if the seller describes it as mint and it has easily noticeable scratches when I get it I will ding them for as described.

I also like to know the place I'm buying from is legit but I'll buy from pretty low FB eBay sellers. Especially if it's low value games.

[quote name='Vinny']
Another important thing is actual shipping/handling costs. I bought a $16 game one... and ended up paying $10 in shipping... partially my fault but the seller advertised in big bold letters "$4 flat rate shipping!" so I didn't think to look at the other costs... another $3 for handling and $3 for (required) insurance.[/QUOTE]

If this was on eBay and recent I'd report him to eBay. He can maybe get by with the insurance thing although no place charges $3 to insure $16 worth of product so he's obviously inflating that cost... But advertising $4 and then having an extra $3 in handling tucked away in the listing I'd hope wouldn't fly with eBay.

I will never ever attempt to buy a used game online again unless I can see a picture of the actual item. If there's no picture that's a huge red flag that something is wrong.

If you are a powerseller selling many used copies of games in one listing I want an absolutely clear description of the condition of the item and everything included. If the case looks okay but somebody's cat pissed all over it don't say it's mint.

Gamestop prices are easy to beat on trade and sales. As far as only accepting complete games in trade, that is tough to do. Most people who arent gamers dont really care or keep there games complete. I get games in daily that dont have a box or a book, we take them but of course they dont get as much in trade.

Soo far I see you want a good price, pictures, and honesty. Any comments about selling a game to an online store, anyone ever done that?

Anyone buy games that are 5 bucks are less "not counting shipping" think they are even worth posting? Thanks for the great input.

[quote name='Tsiawd']Soo far I see you want a good price, pictures, and honesty. Any comments about selling a game to an online store, anyone ever done that?

Anyone buy games that are 5 bucks are less "not counting shipping" think they are even worth posting? Thanks for the great input.[/quote]

I'd like high prices, stock photos, and deception...:roll::lol:;)

Honestly, the only time I've bought used games online was when the price was right and it was a game I was looking for.

About the

price and condition. I usually buy hard to find games on ebay or online stores but if the price is more than what I can find at my local gamestop i'll check with them first. Also at gamestop you can check the item before purchasing, now i know that's impossible for online stores but if you're doing something like ebay please honestly state the condition of the game. So far I've had nothing but good experiences (for the most part) when buying games off ebay, but I have read feedback from unsatisfied customers stating they got something different from the description of the auction.

I used to sell my games at gamestop but they don't give a lot of money back so I don't really sell to them unless there is a coupon for extra trade in credit.

[quote name='wubb']
If this was on eBay and recent I'd report him to eBay. He can maybe get by with the insurance thing although no place charges $3 to insure $16 worth of product so he's obviously inflating that cost... But advertising $4 and then having an extra $3 in handling tucked away in the listing I'd hope wouldn't fly with eBay.[/QUOTE]

I disputed it with PayPal... but PP said no dice as it was stated in the listing- regardless of how hidden it was and basically invisible to the naked eye (it was in grey, really small font).

The guy kept emailing me for feedback. I told him to fuck off. The nerve of some people...:roll:

1. Completeness and condition

2. Price including tax and ship

When I buy games on ebay, I tend to only focus on auctions that have pictures on the actual item Im bidding on. I hate 'stock photo' auctions.

in your guy's opinion what price point would make someone buy say for example "Silent Hill 3" with box, instructions and the disc being an 8/10 and say shipping is 4.95. Gamestop sells it for 29.99 online. Do you even look at gamestop or just ebay?

I personally check eBay before GameStop (actually I rarely ever look there other than to see retail value).

One thing I personally look for is shipping costs. I often go to Amazon.com just because of their free shipping. I don't know if that's feasible, but I do not want to ever pay more than $5 shipping for a single game.

As for complete/non-complete, why not have a part during checkout or whatever that asks if you care if it's complete or not? (discount of a few dollars if they pick they do not care). That way people who care will know they get it complete, and people who don't care get a discount.

[quote name='Jeoff']I will never ever attempt to buy a used game online again unless I can see a picture of the actual item. If there's no picture that's a huge red flag that something is wrong.

If you are a powerseller selling many used copies of games in one listing I want an absolutely clear description of the condition of the item and everything included. If the case looks okay but somebody's cat pissed all over it don't say it's mint.[/QUOTE]

its funny, i dont own a digi cam and sell a ton of shit on ebay, i just steal someone elses pics. never had a problem either.

[quote name='Vinny']I disputed it with PayPal... but PP said no dice as it was stated in the listing- regardless of how hidden it was and basically invisible to the naked eye (it was in grey, really small font).

The guy kept emailing me for feedback. I told him to fuck off. The nerve of some people...:roll:[/QUOTE]

give him a neg if he is harassing you and cite "poor communication".

bread's done
Back