What Music do you listen to?

Classic Rock, some Newer Rock, some Rap. I'll name some good ones.
Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles, System of a Down, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, OutKast, and NWA, to name a few.

I'm a big basshead so trance, hip hop/ r&b for me. I'm up for anything except country. Artists like Coldplay and Phil Collins are some of those "anything."

Mostly indie and garage with a little punk thrown in for good measure. Pavement, Les Savy Fav, the Rapture, Interpol, the Dismemberment Plan, death cab for cutie...all that good stuff.

I listen to basically anything, minus country, but usually listen to hip-hop/rap pre-1997 because music nowadays just suck, especially hip-hop/rap. All the new artists coming out just do not have any skills whatsoever and seemed to be a fabrication of their record companies' ideas. And everything sounds the same! Blame the Neptunes for producing every song you here. They're good, but they're just too overworked resulting in lackluster beats that just sounds like any other Neptune's beat. Also, everybody tries to sound like the Neptunes.

As for underground hip-hop all their stuff sounds the same. Sounds like generic Company Flow stuff. Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus the best underground hip-hop album ever.

Oh yeah, Radiohead...you can't go wrong with any of their stuff. Just pure classics.

A wide variety, everything from light rock to metal to some video game music too. I tend not to like a lot of rap or country, but occasionally I like those too. It just depends on the individual artist really.

As for game music, I like music from pretty much any game in the Castlevania series, Secret of Mana, Jet Grind Radio, and Super Smash Bros. Melee the best.

Mainly alt rock/punk. Hip Hop fom 1988-95 era. Some of the older country like the kind that they play in bars. No new country though. No boy bands
Rasta music no dancehall though.Nirvana, Chili peppers, Green Day, Lost Prophets, Incubus, Rage, Weezer Offspring, Lit, Stripes. The good stuff

[quote name='Santorum X']I listen to basically anything, minus country, but usually listen to hip-hop/rap pre-1997 because music nowadays just suck, especially hip-hop/rap. All the new artists coming out just do not have any skills whatsoever and seemed to be a fabrication of their record companies' ideas. And everything sounds the same! Blame the Neptunes for producing every song you here. They're good, but they're just too overworked resulting in lackluster beats that just sounds like any other Neptune's beat. Also, everybody tries to sound like the Neptunes.
[/quote]

I like the Neptunes, but I find their work to be hit or miss. Some stuff is awesome, sometimes it REALLY doesn't work. I do like the side project, the N.E.R.D. album though.
I agree though, I'm pretty disappointed with the state of hip-hop/rap, and music in general just because its pretty hard to find good stuff.

[quote name='sandwiches99'][quote name='Santorum X']I listen to basically anything, minus country, but usually listen to hip-hop/rap pre-1997 because music nowadays just suck, especially hip-hop/rap. All the new artists coming out just do not have any skills whatsoever and seemed to be a fabrication of their record companies' ideas. And everything sounds the same! Blame the Neptunes for producing every song you here. They're good, but they're just too overworked resulting in lackluster beats that just sounds like any other Neptune's beat. Also, everybody tries to sound like the Neptunes.
[/quote]

I like the Neptunes, but I find their work to be hit or miss. Some stuff is awesome, sometimes it REALLY doesn't work. I do like the side project, the N.E.R.D. album though.
I agree though, I'm pretty disappointed with the state of hip-hop/rap, and music in general just because its pretty hard to find good stuff.[/quote]

N.E.R.D. In Search of was a cool sleeper album. I like Lapdance, Brains Run to the Sun

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']anything but rap, r&b and country

mainly rammstein though.

10 points to whoever knows who they are[/quote]

I remember Du Hast, I don't think they are that unknown.

But I mainly listen to hip hop, although minus all the no talents like Chingy, Julez Santana and one style wonders like lil jon and the eastside boyz. My two favorite artists are J-live and Mos Def.

Of all music , I probably can't stand punk the most, too whiney for me, although I probably only really hear the pseudo-punk/pop groups like A Simple Plan and Good Charolette. Can't listen to country either as it goes so slow I can predict the next line before they say it. Plus I can't stand the rural/good old boy references.

Lil' Jon and Eastside Boyz...these guys don't even rap. They just scream and shout talkin' 'bout droppin' elbows and saying the same things over and over. These guys need to check their blood pressures and calm the f*** down.

They shout 'Yeah' and 'Okayy' too much but you gotta admit that their beats can make any haters nod their head a lil :).

I listen to pretty much just 1 thing: Eminem. When's the last time you put a CD in your player and listened to in from start to finish? Ive done that 100+ times. I cant really do that with other music.

[quote name='Santorum X']Lil' Jon and Eastside Boyz...these guys don't even rap. They just scream and shout talkin' 'bout droppin' elbows and saying the same things over and over. These guys need to check their blood pressures and calm the f*** down.[/quote]

It's called music to get crunk too, If you don't live in the dirty south you probably won't get it .

Outkast, Smashing Pumpkins, Weird Al, Garbage, NIN, anime soundtracks(specifically the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack), and almost anything Jazz

True Metal. (Black, Death, Power (think GGX2 OST), Prog, etc..), not this nu-metal Korn garbage.
Classical
Some Jazz and Classic rock
Video Game Music

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I listen to both kinds, country and western...

J/K, I like just about everything, been listening to alot of sublime lately though

[quote name='dmx10101'][quote name='Santorum X']Lil' Jon and Eastside Boyz...these guys don't even rap. They just scream and shout talkin' 'bout droppin' elbows and saying the same things over and over. These guys need to check their blood pressures and calm the f*** down.[/quote]

It's called music to get crunk too, If you don't live in the dirty south you probably won't get it .[/quote]

Don't get me wrong the Dirty South has always appealed to my tastes, Lil' Jon has some nodders but it gets to a point where all their songs seems to sound the same. This is why I enjoy anything outta the Dungeon Family (Outkast, Youngbloodz, Goodie M.O.B....). They still get you crunk but they incorporate better style elements.

[quote name='jalu6']Mostly indie and garage with a little punk thrown in for good measure. Pavement, Les Savy Fav, the Rapture, Interpol, the Dismemberment Plan, death cab for cutie...all that good stuff.[/quote]

I think Jalu6 is the only one with an ear around here. I listen to almost any genre (yes, old country is good, and the Dixie Chicks write good pop songs in a twangy package), but I mostly listen to stuff on Dischord Records or influenced by Gang of Four.

Here's 2 trance/electronica songs I'm listening to right now(and some of the greates, IMO):

Sasha-magnetic north
wavy gravy

Tell me what you guys think. Oh yeah, Sasha is a guy.

Indie Rawk. First wave Ska. Punk covers.

I especially like: the Pixies, Magnetic Fields, Belle and Sebastian, Stereolab, the Capricorns, Toots and the Maytals, the Specials, Smog and so on.

But really there's great music to be found in every genre. And lots and lots of crap in every genre too. Just like gaming.

[quote name='dustinttt'][quote name='jalu6']Mostly indie and garage with a little punk thrown in for good measure. Pavement, Les Savy Fav, the Rapture, Interpol, the Dismemberment Plan, death cab for cutie...all that good stuff.[/quote]

I think Jalu6 is the only one with an ear around here. I listen to almost any genre (yes, old country is good, and the Dixie Chicks write good pop songs in a twangy package), but I mostly listen to stuff on Dischord Records or influenced by Gang of Four.[/quote]

Seems like we have similar interests. A couple of other bands I have been digging lately are: The Wrens; Pretty Girls Make Graves; The Exploding Hearts; and The Flaming Lips. All the other stuff mentioned is in heavy rotation as well.

The new Modest Mouse Album is at the top of the "must get the day it comes out" list. I can't wait for that one.

Heavy metal or no metal at all! Whimps and posers, leave the hall!

Yah true metal! I like Power & Prog especially, some thrash (Megadeth) and AOR when I'm in a warm fluffy mood. So Children of Bodom, Tarot, Symphony X, Stratovarius, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Edguy, Blind Guardian all the way down to fluffy stuff like Frontline, Harem Scarem, Pride of Lions, Evidence One, Ten/Gary Hughes, Joe Lynn Turner, etc.

I also really dig hair bands. Europe and Whitesnake especially.

I'll tolerate classic rock and some of it I really love (UFO, Rainbow)... I can do without rap, country, dance, pop, trance, nu-metal, punk and all other musical genres. :) They are so inferior!

I've never listened to the exploding hearts, but everything else you mentioned is hot. I've downloaded a few tracks of the new Modest Mouse and must say that it is a tad bit different than the Moon and Antarctica. There's a video online, as well. I think you can find it via a news story at pitchforkmedia.com

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']anything but rap, r&b and country

mainly rammstein though.

10 points to whoever knows who they are[/quote]

They were a fleeting metal group that wasn't NEARLY as popular in Deutschland as they were in America. No offense, I'm just not a fan.
On my front, a good deal of electronica (Chemical Brothers, Dj Micro, Komma and Bones, Crystal Method, Sasha, Digiweed, Oakenfold etc.) Classic rock (Long live late 60's-70's) and a wide range of 80's music. Talking Heads anyone?

SAVES THE GAY-BREAKDANCEVIETNAM-THRICE-COHEEDANDCAMBRIA-GLASSJAW-RADIOHEAD-POISONTHEWELL-THURSDAY-ATREYU-LORENEDRIVE-FUNERALFORAFRIEND-NFG-AKLALINETRIO-HOTHOTHEAT-THEFAINT-CURSIVE-THEPOSTALSERVICE-REMEMBERINGNEVER-FROMAUTUMNTOASHES. a whole buncha garbage.. im in a softer tunes phase lately...anyway if anybody actually reads this go see breakdancevietnam at chain reaction on sunday 25th...theyll kick your teeth in, very good band.

Everything but mostly rap

Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jeru the Damaja, Ras Kass, Chino XL, Royce 59, The Outsidaz, Masta Ace, Dead Prez, Common, Guru, Jadakiss, Big L, TI, Dungeon Family, Wordsworth.

NOT

Chingy, Lil Jon, Eminem, Ludacris, Ja Rule, and anything else you see on MTV

Primo is also an excellent producer. To bad people would rather listen to pop *shakes head in disbelief* HipHop will get better if the people get better though

[quote name='hardwo0d']Everything but mostly rap

Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jeru the Damaja, Ras Kass, Chino XL, Royce 59, The Outsidaz, Masta Ace, Dead Prez, Common, Guru, Jadakiss, Big L, TI, Dungeon Family, Wordsworth.

NOT

Chingy, Lil Jon, Eminem, Ludacris, Ja Rule, and anything else you see on MTV[/quote]

Big P.U.N. is nice too. He is mos def an all time great. I really miss P.U.N. some times I wish that he was still around to make classics. Hes in a better place though.

Did you see 22 greatest MCs on MTV? They had KRS1 at like :shock: 15 or 20. That list was garbage. They didnt even have Abstract on it.

Rap is going downhill fast *cough* Chingy *cough*, but I still have a couple faves. Jurassic 5 and Tupac are at the top of my list. I'm really tired of hearing about screwin' hoes and buying big screen tvs. R.E.M. is great, as is Coldplay and Radiohead. Not much punk, even though I have a few friends who are in to it. I don't know why everybody is chuggin' haterade, country isn't THAT bad. I don't listen to it, but come on. Peace, i'm off the soapbox.

Favorite artists:
Buckethead
Camp Kill Yourself (CKY)
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Led Zeppelin
The Mars Volta
Mike Patton
Pink Floyd

Metal,Metalcore -ASLD,Hatebreed,tool,unloco,dimmuborgir,chimaira. that kind of stuff.

ALL OTHER MUSIC IS REAL GAY

okay i know everyone has thir own opinions on music, based on the varied styles present in this forum, but is it really neccessay to call all music you hate crap? other people may like that style. im just saying maybe we should only say what we actually listen to. that IS what this thread is about

[quote name='wakeandbake']Metal,Metalcore -ASLD,Hatebreed,tool,unloco,dimmuborgir,chimaira. that kind of stuff.

ALL OTHER MUSIC IS REAL GAY[/quote]

Do you like Converge, Mastodon, the Dillinger Escape Plan, and/or The Blood Brothers?

bread's done
Back