What ramen do you guys eat?

11274.jpg

:drool: not ramen, but close enough. wish i had some right now

Check your grocer's salad cooler for some fresh noodles- spotted some Udon in there today I wanna try. (Udon= jumbo-sized ramen, for the most part.)

One of my ex-gf's who's Korean made the best ramen. It came in these bright red packages and were spicy as hell. I'm definitely sure there was MSG in it but damn if that wasn't some of the best damn ramen I'd ever had.

I eat the Maruchan pork flavor. I can't find the ones I tried once but they came in a black package and they had really good flavors like crab, lobster and some other real good Asian flavors.

I usually mix 2 kinds of the cheap stuff, like chicken and oriental, then i add whatever spices I can get my hands on...onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, habanero...it's good stuff.

my favorite is just Top Ramen the chicken flavor or beef. Or sometimes I go crazy and mix the Beef and Pork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!1

I went to a military school for five years and in that time, I ate solely Chicken Maruchan for that whole period. I never got tired of it.

I am a fan of the Maruchan Chicken and Spicy Chicken. Now that it is getting cold here, I usually eat a package a day when I get home from school.

I don't eat ramen plain anymore. There are a few things you can do.

A) Add frozen vegetables to your meal. My preference is peas and corn, but you can also boil carrots, potatoes or onions with the ramen. You can buy yourself a bag of stir fry vegetables or Oriental vegetable mix and pour some in every time you make it.

B) Crack an egg and make some egg drop ramen. I always boil the water with the ramen brick in there the whole time (as opposed to boiling water then dropping the brick in there after it boils), so when the water starts boiling, that typically means the ramen is done. I mix in the flavoring after it starts boiling, then I crack the egg. You get a more homogenous flavor that way. However, if you want more of an egg taste, you can consider boiling the egg before mixing in the flavoring. And if you want a true chinese egg drop taste, seperate the yolk from the white and just use the yolks of 2 or 3 eggs.

C) boil two bricks in water. When the bricks are soft, strain the noodles out and use one flavor packet on the moist noodles with no soup. Takes a little more effort to evenly distribute the powder. You can keep that extra thing of powder and use it for some bouillion later on.

There are tons more ramen recipes out there. The one thing about ramen I always like is that it seems that they're so much more cost effective for just the noodles. A bag of noodles that's about the same size will cost twice as much, typically. One doesn't need to use the flavoring it comes with, not to mention, it's very easy to make up new dishes, or just go through an asian cook book to get some ideas.

I think maruchan is the best I usually drain most of the water out and then sprinkle some mrs. grass on there. Depending on how high I am, I may go for 3 or 4 packs in a session.

[quote name='Mirow']I went to a military school for five years and in that time, I ate solely Chicken Maruchan for that whole period. I never got tired of it.[/QUOTE]
you really ate Maruchan noodles for FIVE YEARS? wow :applause: i get tired after a month or so. Kool didnt know people could actually live that long off of one ramen flavor.

You guys are giving me some great ideas and some nice brand of ramens. Thanks keep some more opinions coming :D :applause:

[quote name='assassinX']you really ate Maruchan noodles for FIVE YEARS?[/QUOTE]
It was either that or the nasty mess hall "food". If I ate that food instead, I probably wouldn't be alive today...

bowl noodle hot - kimchi flavor... someone linked to them before. nongshim. I get them at 7-11 when the El Salvadorean place down the street is closed. What's chajang flavor? now I have to get some.

I was hoping other people had recipes they devised for ramen other than just picking out different (and more expensive) brands.

Go to an asian market and you'll find a ton of different brands. A few years back when one of the world markets was a hop skip and a jump from my house, I typically got one package of a bunch of different brands and just tried em out. I recommend the same, but not as much as figuring out recipes on your own.

I usually get the Maruchan or Top Ramen. As for flavors, I stay away from anything chicken flavored. My partner loves those flavors. Though when all we have is chicken, i've aded some kraft zesty italian dressing to it. Quite tasty then...

Make the noodles and then drain them. Then mix the seasoning with a little sour cream and the noodles (I know it sounds disgusting) but its quite good.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Make the noodles and then drain them. Then mix the seasoning with a little sour cream and the noodles (I know it sounds disgusting) but its quite good.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Hell yeah.

I usually go 1/3 cream cheese, 2/3 sour cream. Tastes great.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I don't eat ramen plain anymore. There are a few things you can do.

A) Add frozen vegetables to your meal. My preference is peas and corn, but you can also boil carrots, potatoes or onions with the ramen. You can buy yourself a bag of stir fry vegetables or Oriental vegetable mix and pour some in every time you make it.

B) Crack an egg and make some egg drop ramen. I always boil the water with the ramen brick in there the whole time (as opposed to boiling water then dropping the brick in there after it boils), so when the water starts boiling, that typically means the ramen is done. I mix in the flavoring after it starts boiling, then I crack the egg. You get a more homogenous flavor that way. However, if you want more of an egg taste, you can consider boiling the egg before mixing in the flavoring. And if you want a true chinese egg drop taste, seperate the yolk from the white and just use the yolks of 2 or 3 eggs.

C) boil two bricks in water. When the bricks are soft, strain the noodles out and use one flavor packet on the moist noodles with no soup. Takes a little more effort to evenly distribute the powder. You can keep that extra thing of powder and use it for some bouillion later on.

There are tons more ramen recipes out there. The one thing about ramen I always like is that it seems that they're so much more cost effective for just the noodles. A bag of noodles that's about the same size will cost twice as much, typically. One doesn't need to use the flavoring it comes with, not to mention, it's very easy to make up new dishes, or just go through an asian cook book to get some ideas.[/QUOTE]

Excellent ideas. My favorite spin on Ramen is really easy. I just boil the noodles, drain them, and toss them with sesame oil and some soy. Sometimes I add green onion and/or red pepper flakes, but most of the time it is just the sesame/soy combo.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I usually get the Maruchan or Top Ramen. As for flavors, I stay away from anything chicken flavored. My partner loves those flavors. Though when all we have is chicken, i've aded some kraft zesty italian dressing to it. Quite tasty then...[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea. How much? Will House Italian work?

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Interesting idea. How much? Will House Italian work?[/QUOTE]

It should. I've added a little ranch and hot sauce to chicken flavor before. Its not too bad. As for how much...I just add enough for my taste. I always like adding tuna to it to. Its been a while since I got ballsy and decided to experiment though lol

Hot sauce is pretty much key to everything lol

Between that and my asprin consumption when I'm hungover, I probably won't have a stomach lining by the time I'm 30...

[quote name='Tojo']They have these at the local Meijer here. I don't know if you have a Meijer in Chicago or not but you could always check it out. I've been eating this exclusively (as in...no other kinds of ramen, not other foods) for years now.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, we got Meijer (just not in quantity) and it IS the best ramen out there and as capitalist_mao mentioned goes great with egg. :drool:

Just reading this thread made me nauseus... I ate way too much ramen in college.

However, I've got a good way to cook it.

Take the noodle brick and throw it in the microwave for two minutes with enough water to cover it. Start heating up a frying pan (high). Put two eggs into a bowl and mix the seasoning packet into it along with what ever spices you want. Throw in some corn, peas and/or carrots into the pan to sear them. After they're hot, throw in the drained noodles and egg mixture. Mix it up and keep it moving until the eggs are cooked.

Viola- fried ramen. If you're feeling extra saucy, fry up a boneless chicken breast, slice it up and lay it over the ramen. It takes about 10 minutes, costs about $2 and will impress girls with its style and taste.

The best flavor I've had is Maruchan Lime Chili Shrimp. Its got a neon pink and green label.

[quote name='Kayden']The best flavor I've had is Maruchan Lime Chili Shrimp. Its got a neon pink and green label.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that stuff tastes terrible.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']This is a bit off topic, but are there places you can go to in Japan for a pizza or some good Italian pasta?[/QUOTE]

Stay far far away from pizza in japan...unless you like mayonaise...

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Since college, I've made it a goal in life to not have to eat any more ramen.

TBW[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way.
Never again will this
dastardly food
substitute touch these
beckoning lips.

No but seriously I can't
touch the stuff my wife
eats ramen every now
and then and offers
but I can't eat it.

I had to eat it in college