What should I buy to back up my old PS3 data before I send my system for repairs?

element676

CAGiversary!
My PS3 is not working properly. I called Sony and they said it be 150 to fix. But I must first back up all my old date and I was wondering if anybody here might tell me the best way to do that. I have a 40gb PS3. MY PS3 freezes when playing blu-ray movies or games and I have to manually eject to get the game or movie out , but after it will not read any disc , unrtil I restart my console , but then it does the same again , rinse and repeat. I believe its my disc drive or blu-ray reader or something. Anyway where can I find the best device to back up all my saved date and my profiles.

Depends how much of the 40gb you have used.If you havent used a lot or can delete a lot of it and re download it later(demos ext) then you might be able to fit all your info on a usb drive maybe a 16gb one.Just depends on how much info you have to keep as apposed to deleting and redownloading later.If you used all 40gb up then your gonna need an external hard drive to back everthing up.

icpmattj is right. I'd delete everything you can redownload later, and you then should be able to get all your saves, etc. backed up to a reasonably sized thumb drive, or SD card.

If you have an external USB hard drive, format it with FAT32, and use the backup utility.

[quote name='ma']icpmattj is right. I'd delete everything you can redownload later, and you then should be able to get all your saves, etc. backed up to a reasonably sized thumb drive, or SD card.

If you have an external USB hard drive, format it with FAT32, and use the backup utility.[/QUOTE]

how would i be able to format my external hdd into fat32?

Basically you need an external HDD 40gb or bigger, an enclosure, usb cable, and a program to format your HDD to fat32, and some patience because it's a slow process. It might not be a bad idea to do this once every month or few. I know I'm due to back up my USB thumb drive of my actual game saves since I haven't done it since September

Well my PS3 (80gb MG) disc drive has just died on me. I've only had it for 6+ months so it's under warranty. What's funny is how I decided to not buy a Xbox 360 on the presumption that it would break and if I got a PS3 it would not.

God I'm glad it happened during warranty!!

My PS3 has frozen on a couple games(namely GTAIV) but mostly it's just been bad shutdowns where the game hangs and I get the three beeps that let you know of the bad shutdown.

However, if anything is going to happen to my PS3, it better happen BEFORE April, since there's no way in fuckin' hell I'm paying Sony $150 fuckin' dollars to repair something I already paid $400 for.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']However, if anything is going to happen to my PS3, it better happen BEFORE April, since there's no way in fuckin' hell I'm paying Sony $150 fuckin' dollars to repair something I already paid $400 for.[/quote]

Do you not pay for car repairs either? I mean you've already paid $10,000+ for the car. How dare a mechanic demand compensation for his time?

[quote name='depascal22']Do you not pay for car repairs either? I mean you've already paid $10,000+ for the car. How dare a mechanic demand compensation for his time?[/quote]

But if the mechanic charged me 1/3 the price of my car to repair it, I'd tell him to just look it over first, give me an estimate and if it's over what I feel I WANT to pay to repair it, I'd tell him I'm gonna shop around.

My one friend from PSN just fixed their own 60 gb PS3 which stopped reading discs by researching it and opening and cleaning their own BR drive.

So, they saved themselves $150 plus being without a PS3 for a while. Besides which, isn't the name of the site CHEAPassgamer, not RipoffAssGamer. To me, paying $150 for something that probably takes Sony's trained monkeys 15 minutes to do is a HUGE ripoff.

Back in the PS2 gen I opened and cleaned so many systems and I have no doubt that I'll do so again this gen, since NO ONE wants to pay THAT much for repairing something that already cost them what it did.

Besides which, the normal mechanic I go to undervalues his time and he usually puts some nominal amount in for labor. The costliest portion of his bill for my car is usually the parts.

[quote name='standby182']Well my PS3 (80gb MG) disc drive has just died on me. I've only had it for 6+ months so it's under warranty. What's funny is how I decided to not buy a Xbox 360 on the presumption that it would break and if I got a PS3 it would not.

God I'm glad it happened during warranty!![/QUOTE]

That's what happen to me, except I'm just one month past warranty and they won't fix it. So I took it apart and cleaned the laser, it still wont work:cry:. So I will have to pay to have it fixed.

[quote name='standby182']Well my PS3 (80gb MG) disc drive has just died on me. I've only had it for 6+ months so it's under warranty. What's funny is how I decided to not buy a Xbox 360 on the presumption that it would break and if I got a PS3 it would not.

God I'm glad it happened during warranty!![/quote]

Yeah, same here. Have had a 360 for well over two years, and not a single problem with it. Had the ps3 for just one year, and it just died.
So, it's not always safe to assume that one system will last more than the other.

I'm also surprised to see so many people whose ps3 died within a year of purchase. You won't notice unless you're digging for information, but this system is not as 'solid' as some would like to have you believe.

Oh, and I would make sure to backup your saves first (separate from a system backup). That takes very little space and time. The reason being that Sony could send you a refurbished system (very unlikely since it's just your BR drive), and that would make any backup obtained through their 'backup utility' useless when your new unit arrives.

[quote name='dragonjud']

Oh, and I would make sure to backup your saves first (separate from a system backup). That takes very little space and time. The reason being that Sony could send you a refurbished system (very unlikely since it's just your BR drive), and that would make any backup obtained through their 'backup utility' useless when your new unit arrives.[/quote]

That's not really true. I used the backup utility before I got my new 80GB MGS bundle last year. I backed up my 20GB and restored it on the 80GB and it worked fine. As a matter of fact, it's better to do it that way, since some games' saves can't be copied to a thumb drive.

[quote name='collven']That's not really true. I used the backup utility before I got my new 80GB MGS bundle last year. I backed up my 20GB and restored it on the 80GB and it worked fine. As a matter of fact, it's better to do it that way, since some games' saves can't be copied to a thumb drive.[/quote]

Interesting. So, you have 2 ps3s, and you were able to completely restore one system's information into the other?
Also, Sony never made a 20GB, so what system are you talking about?
Oh, and of course you forgot about the real problem: shared content. Even if you do it this way, if you have game shares maxed out, and don't have access to your original unit, you will be unable to play the content on the new machine. You must find a way to deactivate the content, and that can only be done through Sony.

[quote name='dragonjud']Interesting. So, you have 2 ps3s, and you were able to completely restore one system's information into the other?
Also, Sony never made a 20GB, so what system are you talking about?[/quote]

What are you talking about? The first two PS3s were 20gb and 60gb....

[quote name='dragonjud']Interesting. So, you have 2 ps3s, and you were able to completely restore one system's information into the other?
Also, Sony never made a 20GB, so what system are you talking about?
Oh, and of course you forgot about the real problem: shared content. Even if you do it this way, if you have game shares maxed out, and don't have access to your original unit, you will be unable to play the content on the new machine. You must find a way to deactivate the content, and that can only be done through Sony.[/quote]

Yes, I was able to use the restore from my old system on the new one. I had to re-download all my games and demos, but all my settings, saves, and trophies transferred over.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't know that Sony released a 20GB model. They didn't in Europe though, is that where you're from?

Thanks for the input. I backed up the game saves in a thumb drive (except RB1+2 saves which can't go). Then I used an external 200gb HD to use the backup utility, which of course was a pain because it was NTFS not FAT32. Well needless to say, I learned how to format 32+gb HDs to Fat32 format for free on WinXP system.

I will also agree that the broken PS3 threads are buried deep in the forums. I've never heard of people having the same problem as mine. :bomb:

**GOD I'M GLAD IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY!!

[quote name='depascal22']What are you talking about? The first two PS3s were 20gb and 60gb....[/quote]

Ooops, I guess I forgot about that :lol:

like some people have said any external harddrive will work well. ive had a wd harddrive for years now and ive used it to update my firmware for my ps3 before i got it hooked to the net and reading this ill probably use it to back up my saves. you can also watch movies or play music from your harddrive on your ps3 without having to dl onto your ps3.

bread's done
Back