What should I buy with my store credit and gift certificates?

Odibil

CAGiversary!
Wasn't sure where this post would belong, but I figured this would be the most suitable place. If this still isn't the right, let's just say I'm bragging about my store credit so that it's in the proper forum. :)

I have nearly $300 credit with EB Games, about $200 in Best Buy gift certificates, but I just can't think of anything to spend it on. I'm always looking for a nice video camera that has good specs in a small package (hi8, minidv, etc), and I've recently been interested in a high-capacity portable music device, but I'm not particularly looking for an ipod.

As far as EB Games goes, I'm really not interested in buying any new games or even any new consoles for that matter. The only gaming-related item that I'm remotely interested in is the PSP, mainly because of its capability to play audio and video files as well as games. The big downside to that idea is the fact that maximum storage capacity is around 1GB in the form of a memory stick that values over $100 itself. The PSP, however, might prove to be worth the cost alone.

As far as Best Buy goes, I'm really interested in a good solid video camera -- absolutely NEEDS good image stabilization -- around the $200-400 dollar range (if there happens to be an amazing one near $500, I'm all ears), and I'd be willing to pay the difference. My next option is portable music, but the price of the ipod just makes me cringe, and I just don't know too much about the other devices.

So what the heck should I spend my credit on? I appreciate any input you guys are willing to give on any products, and I thank you in advance.

You should Ebay the $300 in credit for EB since you don't really want anything there (sell it for $250 ish). That way you'll pay for the video camera without any real money out of pocket.

I was in a similar situation. i would most definitely go for the PSP. its worth it. then with the $200 at best buy, get some games and accessories (you can maybe get the 1 GB memory card, a game, and maybe a couple other accessories). That's what I did, but 1 GB is too much for me so i settled with a 256 MB card, Metal Gear Acid, Ridge Racer, and Face Armor. Definitely worth the money, but then again, i already have a video cam.

Either PSP and a assload of games. Or since you are not interested in an iPod, get a Creative Zen... 30 gigs for $189.99... Can't beat that. But they break easily if dropped.

Get a PSP, a 512 mb card, 1 game, accessory. save rest for other PSP games, like coded arms, nba street showdown or GTA game...

Or get that camera.

Or get teh psp with one game thing, then save the 100 and save up for the camera.

Or if you have XBOx buy SC:CT and jade empire...

So many possibilities.

Thanks for the input playaemagdnim and JSK414.

[quote name='mmn']You should Ebay the $300 in credit for EB since you don't really want anything there (sell it for $250 ish). That way you'll pay for the video camera without any real money out of pocket.[/QUOTE]
That's actually a really good idea. If I shoot down the idea of a PSP, I might just go that route.

[quote name='help1']Or if you have XBOx buy SC:CT and jade empire...[/QUOTE]
Thanks help1, already grabbed SC:CT and have Jade Empire paid off. :)

[quote name='soulwish2003']Hooker![/QUOTE]
Best idea yet. I think I'm going to go hang outside of EB when I get off work and wait for a good looking girl to enter the store. I'll walk in and peruse the selection while making small talk about the games she's looking at. When she finally decides, I offer to buy her game under the condition that we have a private game session together. Brilliant. Flawless.

If I were you, I'd set aside that $300 EB credit for the upcoming Xbox 360 and keep the Best Buy certificates for some of the games.

[quote name='coolz481']If I were you, I'd set aside that $300 EB credit for the upcoming Xbox 360 and keep the Best Buy certificates for some of the games.[/QUOTE]

Took the words out of my mouth.

Why not keep it for one of those games that will come out that is a "must have" at $50? Or at least keep some of it for that.

Thank you all for your suggestions, though I'm really not interested in getting any next-gen consoles on release day. The last console I bought for full price was the original Playstation, and since then, I've only grabbed systems after their first major price drops. I'm probably going to drop $40 of my EB credit down on Unreal Championship 2 (already have a $10 pre-order), but aside from that, I'm not really anticipating too many games this year.

As it looks now, I might just wait until E3 leaks the next-gen systems to see if any pique my interest at all. If they don't, I might just wait for a price drop or different bundle on the PSP to use my EB credit.

I'm still on the fence about Best Buy, however. I'd really like a nice video camera that I can either pay off with my $200 credit, or get half off when I pay $100-200 of the remainder. I'm doing some research on some cameras right now, as well as some of the portable music devices. If any of you are knowledgeable about any of the aforementioned, I'd appreciate any information.

bread's done
Back