What/Should I buy?

Marion517

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hokay, so, I own a PS3, a Wii, and a couple PS2, not to mention all the older consoles stashed away over the years. But I've never owned an Xbox console. However, all my nephews and cousins love the 360 and connect with them, albeit on games I probably wouldn't play, but it would be nice to understand the stuff they are saying.

Logically, I always put it out of my mind because I basically only buy RPGs, mostly JRPG, and not sports or FPS. That said, I've suddenly found myself with a lot of free time for the foreseeable future, and hey, maybe I've been missing something fun due to unfounded prejudice.

Dear CAGers, should I buy an Xbox 360? If so, should I buy the shiny new Halo console, or is the game still an FPS? I hear stuff about this RROD, is it safe to buy a pre-owned console? What games would you recommend to start off with? Everything I see on craigslist is like Madden :(

Yes...buy a 360 so the circle will be complete. Up to you if you want the Halo Reach console, if you don't have a 360 and want Reach it's a good bargain, since you get an extra controller etc etc. The new consoles run cooler and thus are less likely to overheat, granted if you put it in a drawer w/no circulation even your PS3 would melt.

Reach has a few other aspects besides FPS, there's level(s) where you fly a spacecraft. I don't know enough of Reach since like many of us it hasn't come out yet for us.

As for what games to get? There's a lot of RPGs for the 360, just depends what types you like. Naturally, Persona is for PS2 but I think we get a few JRPG's for xbox as well...but you seem more the expert than I in that genre. When in doubt, google.

[quote name='Marion517']However, all my nephews and cousins love the 360 and connect with them, albeit on games I probably wouldn't play, but it would be nice to understand the stuff they are saying.[/QUOTE]

You can "cross-game" chat with them even though you are playing different games.

... and DO NOT buy a used console.

Don't buy a pre owned console.
We recently moved cross country and my kids are loving talking to friends back homethrough gaming on Live. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm surprised you don't already own a 360. The 360 has more good JRPGs than both the PS3 and Wii. Anyway I'd recommend picking up a 360 and picking it up new. You dont really need to spend $400 on the Halo Reach edition. You can just buy a $200 4gb model and get yourself a 16gb usb drive or just get the 250gb model. I managed to get the 250gb slim for $240 new off craigslist last week with an extra controller.

As for game suggestions I'd recommend Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fable 2, Magna Carta 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and the Last Remnant since you say you like RPGs. Also I'd recommend trying out other genres. There are a lot more genres than just rpgs, sports games, and fps.

Definitely get a 360.

I would recommend the Halo console, it's a great package, but it is indeed still an FPS. Should probably just go with the regular 360 slim.

How can you forget Alan Wake? I would say it's not a game not to miss, clever story and tense action scenes really do it for me. Plus the Xbox has a great online presence, much better than the wii and PS3 from what I've heard. I know your more of an RPG fan but really, we are seeing more RPG elements in all sorts of games and genres now. Possibly try your hand at some reach when it comes out?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the RROD issue, if you get a jasper system, one that came out about the end of 2008. They have a much smaller CPU/GPU unit. For that reason they do not over heat as much. I originally owned one of the older consoles and had the RROD effect my console, since then I picked up one of the newer systems wit the Jasper chip, and it runs much quieter as well as produces less heat. If you pick up a used console, make sure it meets those specs. Or just pick up a brand new one, it's going to be your quietest/shiniest option ;-).

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back