What should I do about this ebay auction?

Rig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
Here's what I won on ebay a little bit ago. Got it at home a few days ago. Just got around to having my mom open it up, and she says the tube it was sent in had been broken open. (Near the middle.) The poster has been bent/crushed in that area, and when unrolled, sends the crush mark all along the center of the poster. Obviously, I am to assume this was done during shipping, but what should I do at this point? I didn't purchase insurance. I've contacted him, and am waiting to see what his reply is. But, what do you think I should do if he doesn't want to replace it? (Neutral, negative?) Oh yeah, and I paid with Paypal.

And though it really doesn't matter, that's the auction I used the $3.47 off shipping code on. :lol:

If you didn't purchase insurance (assuming it was offered), then I think you need to be gentlemanly about it and just let it slide since it was an error caused by the PO (or so it seems from your description).

If no insurance was offered, I think the seller should offer a refund or exchange. If not, a neutral or neg would be OK in my book. If they haven't left feedback for you, I'd be worried about retaliation though.

[quote name='BigHow']If you didn't purchase insurance (assuming it was offered), then I think you need to be gentlemanly about it and just let it slide since it was an error caused by the PO (or so it seems from your description).

If no insurance was offered, I think the seller should offer a refund or exchange. If not, a neutral or neg would be OK in my book. If they haven't left feedback for you, I'd be worried about retaliation though.[/quote]

I edited my post after I went back and checked. Insurance was offered. Yep, I definitely should have bought it this time. I'm going to see what his reply is. I can't actually prove that it was done when shipping. I've been sent posters before and they were sent in hard tubes. Apparantly, this one wasn't like the others I've received before, and was pretty soft.

[quote name='Rig']I edited my post after I went back and checked. Insurance was offered. Yep, I definitely should have bought it this time. I'm going to see what his reply is. I can't actually prove that it was done when shipping. I've been sent posters before and they were sent in hard tubes. Apparantly, this one wasn't like the others I've received before, and was pretty soft.[/QUOTE]

If he makes a living selling posters on eBay, my bet is that you can get hooked up with a replacement pretty easily, especially if he's selling them for $1.99. I assume that he'll do it just to save his feedback rating.

But if he doesn't offer a replacement, I think you just need to suck up the $3 loss this time.

Insurance is for the protection of the seller. It's the seller's responsibility to get the item to you in the condition listed, period. Technically that might vary by state, etc. but what I said is definitely in line with PayPal's policy.

If he won't offer you anything you are well within your rights to go to PayPal and/or leave bad feedback. However, for a low cost item it might not be worth the hassle. Your call I guess. And really going to PayPal isn't going to be worth it here as they'll have you send it back on your dime before getting the refund.

First step is to send a polite (non-accusatory) e-mail to the seller letting him know the poster was damaged in transit and asking him what can be done to rectify the situation.

If you use that account for selling as well I wouldn't push it and just eat the loss if the seller is an ass. Not worth getting a neg on your selling account over such a paltry amount of money.

For me the seller's reply to my complaint (tone more than anything) would probably be a big factor on how I went on from there.

So with the code you spent about $3.50? I'd let it go. You've probably lost that much in the couch over time or what not. It's not worth it for so a low price.

Wubb, if the item is damaged through transit, the seller can't help that. As much as you try to package it carefully, the mail handlers are human and can drop/mistreat packages. And if you've used insurance before when selling items, the post office says the receiver (buyer in this case) has to submit the claim and go through the process. I've had experience with it on the selling end.

Yea if the seller won't replace it I'd just eat the cost cause insurance was offered. If he does replace it, let us know cause I've wanted one of those posters too and he'll definitely deserve my business!

I concur with SithFran. If the seller offers insurance and the buyer chooses not to purchase it, why should the seller bear the cost when something happens to the package in transit.

[quote name='wubb']First step is to send a polite (non-accusatory) e-mail to the seller letting him know the poster was damaged in transit and asking him what can be done to rectify the situation.

If you use that account for selling as well I wouldn't push it and just eat the loss if the seller is an ass. Not worth getting a neg on your selling account over such a paltry amount of money.

For me the seller's reply to my complaint (tone more than anything) would probably be a big factor on how I went on from there.[/quote]

I've already sent the email, and I was as polite as possible. (I'm just waiting on the reply.) I figure if he won't do anything I will just accept it and move along...but he's already left feedback for me, so I don't need to worry about retaliation.

Thanks so far guys.

And the buyer should bear the cost because he had something to do with the packaging in some way.. :roll:

Rig even says the tube was soft (shitty) quality.

I can see your view if the seller really packs the stuff superbly and it still gets damaged. (But I still don't agree.)

And I believe the USPS is actually the only shipping company that lets the seller also file a claim. (UPS, FedEx, etc. make the receiver file) But I could be wrong on that. However that doesn't really have a bearing on who should own up for damage in transit.

I'm not surprised at all that most disagree with me. Buyer being responsible for damage in transit seems to be the prevalent view on here for some reason.

If it was an account I didn't care about FB I'd do this:

1. Contact seller about problem.

If he offers a great solution - positive FB

If he offers not much of a solution but I like his attitude, etc. no FB (For example if he politely offers to refund my purchase if I send it back to him. I probably wouldn't bother with such a low cost item, but it's hard to really demand more from a seller.)

If I don't appreciate his response/no response - neg FB. (For example, he goes off on a rant about how I should have purchased insurance so tough titties...)

Just as an aside this guy doesn't appear to leave bad FB ever. Either that or toolhaus is acting wonky on me. Ah Rig slid a post in on me. He must not leave neg FB ever because he leaves + FB first.

I would say that if the buyer is offered insurance and declines, then what he does accept is a risk of the package being damaged in transit. This seller has received 46000 pos feedback and only 500+ neg feedback and so we can assume that he packaged the poster up well enough as he would have a lot worse feedback if the packaging material was poor. He has 98%+

Based on the facts we have so far, what did the seller do wrong that he should incur a loss by reshipping or refunding the item? Now if the seller closed a door on it or something, than shipped it than yeah, it is his fault, but we are getting into an issue of judging someones integrity. How can we know if he did it or the post office did it. Well we can look at his feedback and see that he doesn't seem like the kind going out of his way to screw someone.

Thats my take on it.

I disagree with the majority here as well. I think insurance is to cover the seller's merchandise if the item gets damaged/lost in transit. The buyer should not be required to buy insurance on an item (he/she) has purchased. It is up to the seller to deliver the goods. If the goods don't get delivered in good shape.. It is the seller's responsabilty. The buyer can not file as someone mentioned. I say the seller should refund the $. This is just part of doing business on E-bay. Too many sellers on E-bay try to pass responsability on to the buyers.

personally im getting sick of ebay..

i won a PSP game off a person on March 27. shipping was 2/3 day mail

April 3 i email them saying wheres my games heard nothing

April 5 i email them again and finally get an email back

I been buzzy and havent had time to mail it

i thought we had to send all items out within 7 days of payment ... it would been 9 or 10 days after they got my money and they still havent sent it out

I emailed them last night and they still say they are too buzzy and wont say if the games been sent or not and this is what sort of pisses me off

the seller is now saying they have no clue if the game works all the way though or not since they only played it for 5 mins and when i asked before i bid the seller said they played it to the end and it worked perfect

if i dont have it in hand by weds and if it nots mint im going to do a chargeback

Ebay just isn't what it used to be anymore. There are more scammers and rude people on there now. But it is also the best place to unload your items instead of trade-in at game stores. Its just one of the risks that you have to take.

There are some good pointers that you can get from Ebay Forums. Do a search. Its not fool-proof but it'll help you sleep better at night.

Well, after seeing the tube he sent it in (it was garbage) I left him a neutral. I sent him a few emails beforehand...luckily, it didn't cost me more than $4.00.

[quote name='spamfree2']Ebay just isn't what it used to be anymore. There are more scammers and rude people on there now. But it is also the best place to unload your items instead of trade-in at game stores. Its just one of the risks that you have to take.

There are some good pointers that you can get from Ebay Forums. Do a search. Its not fool-proof but it'll help you sleep better at night.[/QUOTE]

Well my approach to Ebay is "there will probably be something wrong" with every auction I bid on or where I sell an item. I'm an optimist, but with Ebay I can't help but expect the worst... still, I do end up pleasantly surprised a lot of the time.

[quote name='SithFran']So with the code you spent about $3.50? I'd let it go. You've probably lost that much in the couch over time or what not. It's not worth it for so a low price.[/QUOTE]

exactly. if you can buy another one for $3.50 just do that.

Insurance if offered and not accepted by the buyer is the buyers problem once mailed. All the buyer has to do is prove the item was delivered for paypal to side with the seller. If sellers included insurance with everything they sold then the cost of shipping would be incresed. you buy auto insurance incase of an accident, health insurance incase of illness, the smart thing to do is get insurance on internet purchases or don't complain after the fact. If you think it is the sellers responsibility and the seller does not offer or include insurance then simply buy from another seller it is not like the terms are hidden.

[quote name='bluekeith75']Insurance if offered and not accepted by the buyer is the buyers problem once mailed. All the buyer has to do is prove the item was delivered for paypal to side with the seller. If sellers included insurance with everything they sold then the cost of shipping would be incresed. you buy auto insurance incase of an accident, health insurance incase of illness, the smart thing to do is get insurance on internet purchases or don't complain after the fact. If you think it is the sellers responsibility and the seller does not offer or include insurance then simply buy from another seller it is not like the terms are hidden.[/QUOTE]

this isnt true, even if the package is sent with delivery confirmation, the buyer can file a "not as advertised" complaint to get a refund

seems im screwed on the auction i was talking about eariler

Dude still hasnt shipped the game out (been 2 weeks since i paid)

dude says he has no money in his paypal account to refund the cash and they are even trying to say they dont even enough money to even send out the game till they sell another game to a friend at school

told him if i dont have the game to me within the next week i will report them to ebay, paypal and the cops

: ) maybe that make his ass move

[quote name='slidecage']seems im screwed on the auction i was talking about eariler

Dude still hasnt shipped the game out (been 2 weeks since i paid)

dude says he has no money in his paypal account to refund the cash and they are even trying to say they dont even enough money to even send out the game till they sell another game to a friend at school

told him if i dont have the game to me within the next week i will report them to ebay, paypal and the cops

: ) maybe that make his ass move[/QUOTE]
Let them know that you'll file for mailfraud. If they dont send it, they'll be hearing from the Post Office and legal actions will be taken. When they see a letter arrive in the mail saying that if they dont refund or send item back within a certain amount of days, legal actions will be taken..that will make them shiet in their pants.

All this stuff about shipping within a week is just for Paypal's seller protection plan (if the auction is even eligible for it). I think the rule is that sellers have to follow FTC guidelines and ship within 30 days or something like that.

[quote name='Squee']All this stuff about shipping within a week is just for Paypal's seller protection plan (if the auction is even eligible for it). I think the rule is that sellers have to follow FTC guidelines and ship within 30 days or something like that.[/QUOTE]
Shipping within 7 days is like a normal procedure. Its like a unwritten rule/guideline. Its like a habit and a trend. You dont see online stores taking 30 days to ship the item.

Does anyone know what the law says about it though. So far, it seems like it's just common courtesy to send in 7 days. I've never seen anything in writing that said a seller must ship in 7 days.

[quote name='slidecage']personally im getting sick of ebay..

i won a PSP game off a person on March 27. shipping was 2/3 day mail

April 3 i email them saying wheres my games heard nothing

April 5 i email them again and finally get an email back

I been buzzy and havent had time to mail it

i thought we had to send all items out within 7 days of payment ... it would been 9 or 10 days after they got my money and they still havent sent it out

I emailed them last night and they still say they are too buzzy and wont say if the games been sent or not and this is what sort of pisses me off

the seller is now saying they have no clue if the game works all the way though or not since they only played it for 5 mins and when i asked before i bid the seller said they played it to the end and it worked perfect

if i dont have it in hand by weds and if it nots mint im going to do a chargeback[/quote]

Don't let it get passed 45 days cause then you can't do a claim with ebay , if they don't have the time to ship the products then they shouldn't sell the products leave that seller a neutral at best saying how long the shipping took.

I ordered 2 posters on ebay in the past but the guys that I ordered from were powersellers. I let them know that one of my Batman Begin posters had slight dents in them and I took the time to take some snapshots and he sent me a brand new one at no cost. I even offered to send the one I had back to him so now I have 2 batman begin posters.

[quote name='wgsquallx2002']I ordered 2 posters on ebay in the past but the guys that I ordered from were powersellers. I let them know that one of my Batman Begin posters had slight dents in them and I took the time to take some snapshots and he sent me a brand new one at no cost. I even offered to send the one I had back to him so now I have 2 batman begin posters.[/quote]

I too have had good experiences where I sent the seller pictures after an item was damaged. He sent me a free one plus refunded my shipping charge on the 1st one. That really surprised me..:shock:

bread's done
Back