What should I look for in a PS3?

halcyon1234

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hi. Later this month I might be buying a PS3. However, I suddenly realized I have no clue about what all the different models are, nor if there's anything that specifically is/isn't available in Canada.

Anything I should be looking for? Anything that I should jump on if I see it used that isn't normally available?

Thanks!

Personally, I wanted the 60 GB launch model for the hardware backwards compatibility as well as the media card readers and additional USB ports. Picked one up on eBay for less than the current 80 GB model (which is quite stripped down).

I have never owned a Sony console, so I wanted to open myself up to all of the old PS1 and PS2 games I never got to play. Man, there are some GREAT PS2 games out there that still hold up very well. I playing through the entire Metal Gear Solid series (bought the box set) and I'm currently at MGS3: Snake Eater and LOVIN' IT!

60GB is the best model, but you'd have a hard time finding one new. Your best bet if you care about PS2 compatibility is to look for the MGS4 80GB bundle. It's discontinued but they were still in stores like 1-2 months ago, this was the final PS3 model to support PS2. If you don't care about PS2 then the other difference is the lower end model has less USB ports and no memory card readers. And avoid the old 40GB, it didn't have a dualshock controller.

And another thing to remember is you have to buy an HDMI or Component cable separately, the PS3 only comes with a composite cable.

[quote name='Talus']Personally, I wanted the 60 GB launch model for the hardware backwards compatibility as well as the media card readers and additional USB ports. Picked one up on eBay for less than the current 80 GB model (which is quite stripped down).

I have never owned a Sony console, so I wanted to open myself up to all of the old PS1 and PS2 games I never got to play. Man, there are some GREAT PS2 games out there that still hold up very well. I playing through the entire Metal Gear Solid series (bought the box set) and I'm currently at MGS3: Snake Eater and LOVIN' IT![/QUOTE]

Go MGS! =P my favorite series ever

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Re: the cables. Not too long ago, Great Canadian had a combo pack: 1 HDMI cable + 1 optical audio cable = $15. So I've got that covered.

I own a PS2 and a PS1, so backwards compatibility isn't hugely important. I won't be getting rid of the old systems anytime soon (heck, I just bought a Sega Master System!). But the advantage I can see is that I don't have a working network adapter for the PS2, so I can't play online games on it. (Unless I'm mistaking and the PS3 doesn't play online PS2?)

Of course, when it comes down to it, if I'm spending $350+, and extra $20 for a massively useful feature is a trivial addition to the cost. =)

I wasn't aware PS2 still had some online servers still up.

Also, don't be afraid of going to a lower GB version (like the 40gb) because you can always upgrade your hard drive (you can get a 320gb for under $100) and it doesn't void your warranty, and its not difficult to install.

[quote name='Sousanator']I wasn't aware PS2 still had some online servers still up.

Also, don't be afraid of going to a lower GB version (like the 40gb) because you can always upgrade your hard drive (you can get a 320gb for under $100) and it doesn't void your warranty, and its not difficult to install.[/quote]

I doubt that there's any servers still active, but some games are peer-to-peer.

I believe PS3 does let you play PS2 online, but I can't say for certain 100%. If you really want that PS2 support then go find yourself the MGS4 bundle asap, or look for a used 60GB.

[quote name='halcyon1234']I doubt that there's any servers still active, but some games are peer-to-peer.[/quote]
Either way, the PS3 can play PS2 games online (even using wifi), as long as its a backwards compatible PS3.

I tried it out when I first got my PS3 about a year ago when there were some PS2 games still online.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I believe PS3 does let you play PS2 online, but I can't say for certain 100%. If you really want that PS2 support then go find yourself the MGS4 bundle asap, or look for a used 60GB.[/quote]

Yeah the PS3 probably lets you play the PS2 games online. There's a patch for it somewhere on the PS Store, or maybe it's only for FFXI I may be mistaken.

MGS4, Ratchet and Clank Future, Uncharted, and Resistance were worth the purchase of a PS3. Hell, MGS4 ALONE was worth the purchase :)

I found my 60 GB PS3 on eBay about 2 months ago for less than the 40 GB model was at the time. I was patient and watched and didn't bid unless I could get it for a good price.

Since you have a PS1 and PS2, then hardware backwards compatibility may not be an issue ... but the visual quality increase from upscaling AND the ability for you to clear out those consoles and make room in your entertainment unit AND the ability to play those old games WIRELESSLY with a DualShock 3 may sway your decision ;)

[quote name='nonrandomhero']somthing to look for in a PS3??

something to play.[/quote]

harsh.:cry:

I don't think there is much difference if you count outside of BC. My PS3 has the SD slot, and it's never used, I have my PC for that, it's not that much of a computer entertainment system. 4 USB slots and what not. You're good a cheap 40G or the new bundle of whatever at the same price

Oh and don't forget. Sony forgot that a HD console should come with it's HD cables. So you have to buy a HDMI or Composant ( go with HDMI)

bread's done
Back