what should I look for when buying an LCD HDTV

dsullo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am looking to buy an LCD HDTV for my basement. I have researched on the internet and it seems every set has pros and cons. I am looking for some expert advise on what to look for (specs wise).

I am thinking

1080 P
2 or more HDMI ports
120Hz response rate time
at least a 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
The models that I have read good things on are
Samsung LN32B650
Sony Bravia XBR-Series KDL-32XBR6 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
Vizio VO37LF
Vizio SV420XVT
panasonic tc37lz85 37inch 1080p

I am thinking of going with the Vizio because it seems to be the best deal , what do you guys think?

I wouldn't pay the extra amount for a 1080p if you can only afford 32-37"...you should save up a bit more and get a 42" at least.

I own the 47 version of the Vizio and for the price its the best deal IMO. That being said if you're looking for the best quality youll probably best off with a high end bravia (highest price but best 120Hz technology from what Ive seen) or a samsung (better priced than sony but better quality than other companies).
If you do get the Vizio remember that you need to fiddle with the settings to get it to look good, but after some fiddling you will get a good picture. And the 120Hz processing is good, but just not as good as the sony or samsungs (although probably worse on mine cause bigger screen means harder to output that fast). But the reason I settled on the Vizio is that for a grand at costco that comes with 2 extra years of warranty, the Vizio was the way to go. Hope this helps.

Do yourself a favor and buy from Amazon, they do free shipping and white glove delivery on tvs over $1000. Also if you dont have a Amazon shipping center in your state then it's tax free. I'd browse the various tvs in person but you save money on most every model buying online. I have 2 friends who recently bought new 1080s and they both wish they'd checked Amazon.

Not a cheapass suggestion but if you want something really nice.....

Last monday I had this delivered and i'm loving it:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A...dp_cp_ob_e__map?ie=UTF8&qid=1237439363&sr=8-1

AND MOTHER F'ERS just dropped the price $100...... but anyway..... Cheapest I saw at competitors was $2000 on clearance at Best Buy, it's $2100 online. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...A650+&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202649424157

At the time is was $1900 and using the gold box trick I bought it for $1805. Five days later it was in my house. Amazon uses private delivery companies and they carry your tv in and set it up and make sure it's working and no damage.

Since it's $1800 now you might could get it at $17ish with gold box trick.

GOLD BOX TRICK
To get a TV in your gold box, you can try this which works well• Sign up for a new Amazon account with a new email address. Use your real name.
• Search for the TV you want (Example - Samsung LN32A450)
• Scroll down until you see "What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?"
• Click on the Samsung DVD-1080P8 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player.
• On the Samsung DVD players page scroll down until you see "Rate This Item to Improve Your Recommendations" Check the "I own it box" AND Give it a 5 star rating.
• Go to your Gold Box/Today's Deals.
• If you are interested in other Samsung models, leave this Amazon account untouched and check your Gold Box daily. Amazon switches up your Gold Box daily.
(REPS GO TO ZNUTZ FOR THE ABOVE SUGGESTION)
OR
You can log into your account, go to improve recommendation and make sure that nothing you have bought is used for recommendations. Search for the tv you want (Example Samsung LN32a450) and down the page you'll usually find a couple of Samsung warranties you can click on them and down the page you can rate them or just click that you own them. This should work to get some tv's in your Gold Box/ Todays deals page.

If you want Sony sub in the Sony upconverting player, etc etc.

[quote name='$hady']Do yourself a favor and buy from Amazon, they do free shipping and white glove delivery on tvs over $1000. [/quote]

This.

Both of my HDTV's came from Amazon. They ended up doing free white glove on the smaller 32", which was nice. It was under $500.

[quote name='freshzen']I wouldn't pay the extra amount for a 1080p if you can only afford 32-37"...you should save up a bit more and get a 42" at least.[/quote]

Ahh yes, the ultimate in marketing tactics. 1080p isn't necessary until you move to a larger set. 50+ inches and above and you might see a small difference on a 1080p set. Lower than that don't bother spending the extra cash. It's not worth it.

720 is just fine for 99% of what you will watch and play.

At the end of the day don't over-concern yourself with specs and get a set that looks good and that you can easily afford.

[quote name='paz9x']what do you want to use the tv for?[/QUOTE]

basement TV for the family. I currently have a 50 inch Sony Wega 1080i LCD Projection.

is there any reason other than cost you want to move down to a 32" from the 50"
how far are your seating positions from the set?
if youre not going to watch blu rays and your not going 46" or above i wouldnt bother with 1080p unless you got some awesome deal.
try and read reviews of sets. its extremely difficult to get an accurate idea of how a set really performs from seeing it in a show room.
i read great reviews on a 32" 720 set i bought a few years ago and id never had bought it based on its appearance in the showroom. im glad i did its my favorite of the 3 lcd's i have.

[quote name='dsullo']http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A...1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1239041751&sr=1-1

I was hoping to spend around 600.00 - this one is like 250.00 more. What do you guys think of this model? Any drawbacks?[/quote]

My cheapassest of 2 friends who bought 1080s in the last 2 weeks bought that exact tv. I think he paid $900ish on sale + tax at Best Buy. It's $1100 online right now..... He likes the tv, i've only seen it showing his PS3 but the picture was nice. Looks like it's got good reviews on both Amazon and BB.

I'd make a run and check the tvs in person before I bought one online though. Oh yea and be sure to tell the sales people you are just looking before buying it from Amazon and saving hundreds of dollars. I did that and the guy was like yea but you don't get reward zone points that way and and and lol.

[quote name='paz9x']is there any reason other than cost you want to move down to a 32" from the 50"
how far are your seating positions from the set?
if youre not going to watch blu rays and your not going 46" or above i wouldnt bother with 1080p unless you got some awesome deal.
try and read reviews of sets. its extremely difficult to get an accurate idea of how a set really performs from seeing it in a show room.
i read great reviews on a 32" 720 set i bought a few years ago and id never had bought it based on its appearance in the showroom. im glad i did its my favorite of the 3 lcd's i have.[/QUOTE]

I have a 50 inch TV already - this as going to be a second TV in the basement for the kids and myself. I think the room is too small for a 50 inch

bread's done
Back