What sport games are still worth playing ?

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Every year a new sports game for every sport is released and the older versions drop in price untill they are worthless. But there has to be some of the older ones that are still worth playing. I'm sure there has to some version of a sports game that has some element that hasn't been improved or was foolishly removed from later versions.

So are there any CAGs still playing some old sports games ?

Yeah, the final games in the two series that should have become exclusive for their respective sports, MVP Baseball 2005 and ESPN NFL 2K5.

If you count skateboarding, Tony Hawks Underground 1 can usually be had for a song these days and is one of if not the best entry in the series

[quote name='lionheart4life']Yeah, the final games in the two series that should have become exclusive for their respective sports, MVP Baseball 2005 and ESPN NFL 2K5.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, NFL 2K's custom music in the stadium really spoiled me. It shocked the hell out for my buddy when he saw how I had edited songs into it. I really wish every sports game had that.

Virtua Tennis 1 and 2 for the Dreamcast

Still the best Tennis games ever made.

World Series Baseball 2 or 98 for the Saturn

NFL 2K5 is one of the best football games to come out in a long time. Triple Play 2001 was a great game for the home run derby. It was fun to play in a medieval castle or a construction yard.

[quote name='KingDox']Yeah, NFL 2K's custom music in the stadium really spoiled me. It shocked the hell out for my buddy when he saw how I had edited songs into it. I really wish every sports game had that.[/QUOTE]

I have it for PS2 and no hard drive, but this feature and the use of actual replays from the game you played in the postgame show are the type of things that every sports game should have, and something that I thought was really cool.

MVP pretty much nailed everything for a baseball game gameplay wise, which is why I like it. I also like being able to use the hometown Red Wings, and one of the AAA stadiums actually looks a lot like their actual stadium. If they had added a few more unlockables and more options for your Owner Mode stadium it would have been perfect.

NFL 2K5 for sure.

I also still really like the Links game that was on Xbox--was sorry to see that franchise disappear.

tony hawk underground
nfl 2k5
mvp baseball 2004 (for some reason i couldn't get into 2005, but i loved 2004)
nhl 2k3 (i don't keep up with hockey so the rosters don't bug me)
virtua tennis (dreamcast,gba,psp,ps2.... any version is great)

[quote name='sethrhf']Virtua Tennis 1 and 2 for the Dreamcast

Still the best Tennis games ever made.

World Series Baseball 2 or 98 for the Saturn[/quote]
I have to disagree with you there. Top Spin 2 for the 360 is better. Better difficulty levels, better overall gameplay, and a FAR deeper career mode. But like someone else already said, MVP Baseball 2005 is the best MLB game ever made.

Ken Griffey Jr presents Major League Baseball for the SNES

I must've played full seasons with probably 10+ teams in this game, the game is so fun and fast paced and easy to play its unbelieveable

[quote name='Autumn Star']Mutant League Hockey/Football for Genesis.[/QUOTE]

Mutant League Football has aged like shit, and its better left being memories in someones awesome childhood.

Can't comment on hockey, but football was just blah when I played it a few years ago.

Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run for the SNES (hell I played a game of it last night).

And I definetly got to second pimpinc suggestions of blades of steel and tecmo super bowl.

For current gen I recommend NCAA football 06 (since all of the previous version suck at the passing game) and Madden 04 (love being able to direct your blocker and on defence using the right joystick to blitz in the defenders or drop them back after the snap depending on if its a run or pass, only this madden has this feature).

Also my favorite hockey game (not counting blades of steel) which I'm still playing semi regularly NHL Hitz 20-03. This game has like a create a team feature which you play against made up and NHL teams and get players to join your team and you can fully customize them (face, gear, number). And you can change team name an uniform at any time which is cool. At the end your team gets to join the NHL and I think you can start an NHL season with them but I'm not sure since I'm haven't finished it yet. And I think its backward compatable on the 360.

Tecmo Super Bowl (Nothing good enough to replace it yet)
Baseball Stars
Nintendo World Cub (Soccer)
Dodgeball
NHL Hockey (Genesis)

And yes, I still play these over anything that's newer or current. The new stuff just sucks in my opinion.

Here's what I still like to play:

Genesis:
Mutant League Hockey
Mutant League Football

SNES:
NBA Jam
NBA Live '96
Super Baseball 2020

PlayStation:
Hot Shots Golf

PS2:
Hot Shots Golf 3

Gamecube:
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Sega Soccer Slam

Current gen speaking, I just started playing NFL Stree for GC after it sat in my backlog for a year. Single player is alright, but it is a blast with a friend.

Past gen: Super Baseball 2020 is awesome

bread's done
Back