What stores/companies are you boycotting?

SONY, I'll never buy anything made from them. Just to name a few things where they really screwed the market for us consumers: Blu-ray, BETA, DVD + R, SACD, and PS. All they care about is themselves and not the consumer. Luckily for us, most of these formats will never become popular.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='hutno'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='dafoomie'] In fact, there isn't a Walmart for about 20-30 miles.[/quote]

Thats just inconcievable!!!![/quote]
Walmart doesn't like Boston, and doesn't want to expand in New England. You know why? High real estate costs, and regional chains are fighting them tooth and nail. Another supermarket in the company I work for has a store right next to one of the Supermarket Wal-Marts, they share a wall. Not only are they profitable, they're kicking Walmart's ass. And they're not beating them on price.

I forgot McDonalds... Though I don't eat at McDonalds anymore for health reasons (food should not make you sick), and less for business/moral reasons.[/quote]

There are a handful off of 495 outside of boston

Suoer Size Me really killed the McDonalds experience for me[/quote]
Yeah, theres smaller ones here and there, but they're not expanding here like they are everywhere else. Did anyone else hear about the massive protests in Mexico after they opened a Walmart less than a mile away from some 1000 year old ruins?[/quote]

Thats because the Mexican gov't is so corrupt.[/quote]

Wait wait hold up...are you trying to say...that the reason...that the mexican people are pissed that a walmart is freaking right next to one of their most cherished landmarks...is because of their govt?

You have gone right off the deep end.[/quote]

and how else would a walmart be there. Some one has to approve it![/quote]
That and the rampant bigotry in places against the indigenous (non-spanish) population (its their ruins and they are the ones that care most). One of my friends introduced me to this show where this dumb girl from one of the indigenous ethnic groups just goes around being dumb. Its like something from the 30s where they have a black guy just walking around acting dumb.

[quote name='snotknocker']Quizno's is the only place I won't buy from. ever since that commercial where the chick pulls the sandwich out of the garbage can and starts eating it, I get nausea just thinking of that place[/quote]

Glad I didn't see that commercial. Only ate their once and I don't really have a solid opinion about Quiznos.

[quote name='biggestinuyashafan']
gamestop.com because i hard a problem with the ninja gaiden i bought off there and i emailed about and never got a single response. i cleaned the disk later and got it to work thank goodness. [/quote]

Didn't you remedy the situation yourself. You actually saved yourself time trying to communicate with gamestop and you saved them some time. I find it entertaining that sometimes the problem is due to the lack of customer intuition to help themselves. Anyways, glad everything worked out for you.

No companies have really fucked with me or annoyed me lately, so I guess I'm just boycotting Apple, I hate their damn computers with a passion, a couple years ago I took what was supposed to be a very easy intro to PC's class (I'm very computer literate so it was basically free credits). Little did I know the computers were goddamned Mac's. Those things are an absolute pain in the ass to use and the gamming software is also extremely limited. Plus I don't really like how Ipods have become a fashion statement. They are extremely overpriced.

They -all- support global marketing... ugly side of big business.

[quote name='EddieBelfour']target- cheap products support global marketing and you know what that means... sweat shops!!!! i also would like to boycott a product- which would be NIKE. eff dem jordans[/quote]

I know! I'll cut my nose off to spite my face!!

I mean really... there's only a handful of people in this thread that have given good reason as to why they boycott a store (most of those against Walmart).

Saying you're boycotting a store because of the prices is just silly. I've never shopped at any store dealing in haute couture, but that doesn't mean I'm boycotting radically overpriced silly looking clothes.

Walmart, Safeway, EA Games, Verizon (after this last bit of my contract is up...), and probably a few more that slip my mind until I see them.

[quote name='jimbodan']a couple years ago I took what was supposed to be a very easy intro to PC's class (I'm very computer literate so it was basically free credits). Little did I know the computers were goddamned Mac's. Those things are an absolute pain in the ass to use and the gamming software is also extremely limited. [/quote]

Aren't Mac's ... not PC's? So, if it was an Intro to PC's class, how were they Mac's?

Carls Jr: Retarded commercials drove me nutz
Dodge: "Ba-da da-dou-da-da-dou" or whatever their little 'motto' sound is, and their hemi gayness

I don't really boycott anything, besides Fox News. I don't regularly shop at Walmart or BB so there's no problem there for me. I just try to get the best deal where I can get it, no store loyalty or disloylalty for me.

[quote name='soulwish2003']They -all- support global marketing... ugly side of big business.

[quote name='EddieBelfour']target- cheap products support global marketing and you know what that means... sweat shops!!!! i also would like to boycott a product- which would be NIKE. eff dem jordans[/quote][/quote]

not really... eff dem jordans no doubt. eff a shoowsh. eff tiger woods and paying 11 year old to make your gear. i will however buy some fits from gap, on clearance of course...

I am boycotting Target because in my state at least, NJ, Target is not allowing the Salvation Army to stand in front of their stores and ring their little bells this xmas season. According to SA, they make over 200,000 from Target stores alone.

RIAA (not buying "big five" label CDs).

Because they fight every technological advancement tooth-and-nail, and suing 12 year olds just isn't cool.

Republicans. nuff said.

EB Games- I will never shop there again. Horrible customer service and very, very rude. This is the EB in Sunvalley Mall in Concord, CA.

I try not to buy much from Wal-mart, but where I live sometimes you just get roped in. I do refuse to buy cds there because they will sell you the edited version with no markings to indicate they are edited. Sucks.

i don't really count this as "boycotting", but i do everything within my power to avoid going to one of the malls around town.

if you buy your cds at walmart, you are killing music. don't do that. if there aren't any real record stores in your area, just order something from the internet.

i try to avoid stores that play techno music really loud because it upsets my bowels.

i'm sure there's some more that i could include, but basically malls, walmart and techno are the deal breakers for me.

Wal-mart, Fox news, The Lifetime Networks ( The most evil networks around), Comcast Sports Network, McDonalds ( No Bacon on Burgers), Chrysler ( Discrimation of Minorities with loans in chicagoland area), G-Unit shoes and clothes, Shady clothes, Memphis bleek Cd's. That's all for now.

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']BuyRiteGames.com[/quote]

BuyRite doesn't deserve to be boycotted. They deserve to be led out into the town square and beaten bloody in front of friends and kin.

[quote name='snipegod'][quote name='jimbodan']a couple years ago I took what was supposed to be a very easy intro to PC's class (I'm very computer literate so it was basically free credits). Little did I know the computers were goddamned Mac's. Those things are an absolute pain in the ass to use and the gamming software is also extremely limited. [/quote]

Aren't Mac's ... not PC's? So, if it was an Intro to PC's class, how were they Mac's?[/quote]

Twas' what I thought too

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Wal-mart, Fox news, The Lifetime Networks ( The most evil networks around), Comcast Sports Network, McDonalds ( No Bacon on Burgers), Chrysler ( Discrimation of Minorities with loans in chicagoland area), G-Unit shoes and clothes, Shady clothes, Memphis bleek Cd's. That's all for now.[/quote]

Care to source that? That's a hefty allegation to be throwing around without proof.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='snipegod'][quote name='jimbodan']a couple years ago I took what was supposed to be a very easy intro to PC's class (I'm very computer literate so it was basically free credits). Little did I know the computers were goddamned Mac's. Those things are an absolute pain in the ass to use and the gamming software is also extremely limited. [/quote]

Aren't Mac's ... not PC's? So, if it was an Intro to PC's class, how were they Mac's?[/quote]

Twas' what I thought too[/quote]

Some people who believe themselves computer literate haven't made the leap to seeing hardware seperate from the OS. Some hardware tunes itself to be more useful for the OS that will be placed on it, but a computer is more than just it's OS. Considering how much press Linux gets in the mainstream press and on the internet, you'd assume people would be a little more savvy if they claimed themselves computer literate.

dpatel said:
Another store would be Abercrombie & Fitch or American Eagle. I hate how expensive they are. Some of my friends spend $100 and get a pair of jeans and 2 shirts. If you do shop there, chances are, you will someone else wearing that same shirt on someone else since EVERYONE shops there (at least around here). They just put random stuff on their shirts and put an abercrombie logo on it and it sells like crazy. I could probably take a crap on a shirt and people would buy it as long as it said Abercrombie on it somewhere.
I hate the store, they sell "used clothes" pre-ripped, pre-faded, for expensive prices. If I wanted clothes like that I would buy by the pound from the goodwill.

snipegod said:
Sony's video game/system department, American capitalism in general, etc.
What the hell are you doing on this site then, you are supporting capitalism at it's finest. American capitalism is what brings you such great gaming deals.

I boycott Walmart and Sam's Club because I am disturbed by the way they are beginning to monopolize labor. I think they are beginning to border on enslaving Americans. It amazes me that if Sam Walton were alive today he would be twice as wealthy as Bill Gates. They have low prices so the source of much of this wealth is in screwing their employees.
Links? I am curious as to how Walmart borders on slave labor and yet still has plenty of employees? Why do people put up with such "terrible" conditions?

I don't really boycott any stores, but I choose not to shop at some. In general I don't shop at Walmart because of the people who generally shop there. I don't shop at EB B&M because of their policy of selling opened games as new. I don't shop at a lot of overpriced stores, but I don't know if I would consider it a boycott.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='csantos']SONY, I'll never buy anything made from them. Just to name a few things where they really screwed the market for us consumers: Blu-ray, BETA, DVD + R, SACD, and PS. All they care about is themselves and not the consumer. Luckily for us, most of these formats will never become popular.[/quote]

You forgot the Memory Stick and the Mini-Disc! :p

I'm shocked no one has yet to mention Home Depot. Thier selection is weak and thier customer service is ass.

Not to mention they put every 'mom & pop' construction store out of business

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Pope On A Rope']BuyRiteGames.com[/quote]

BuyRite doesn't deserve to be boycotted. They deserve to be led out into the town square and beaten bloody in front of friends and kin.[/quote]

Hear hear to that thought.

Buy.com, Order #1, I ordered 2 in stock games, I didn't get either game for 2 months. Second order, I ordered from them to give them another chance, my items were on backorder for 4 months, I e-mailed them and was told the items were discontiuned. If I had not e-mailed them, it would have been on backorder for who knows who long.

Blockbuster Video.

I do buy from Gamerush but only with store credit from their trade in specials, I would not put real money down

They've screwed me way too many times in the past with supposed "late return fees"

Sweet Tomatoes (A Nasty Resturant) I saw a girl cleaning a table there with what appeared to be cold dirty water and as she finished wiping the table down she rang the water out on the carpet on the floor.

McDonalds for one there food tastes like ass, and not just regular ass, but dirty nasty ass. I also hate their new add campaign. Mostly the comercials where they are kind of rapping but really talking about going to McDonalds, especially the commercial that says "Its 2:10 whats up with your friend, 3:20 she got more skills than you." or how ever that brain cancer of a song goes.

This is the best thread I've seen in a while,
check out www.adbusters.org, its all about counter culture. They promote Buy Nothing Day (Black Friday), but of course, if you are a cheap ass, that ideology doesnt really work.
In any case, I am against and some other notes:

Abercrombie - overpriced crap, check out www.americanapparel.net (I have yet to buy somethign from there)

McDonalds - (and most national fast food chains). Sadly McDs owns Chipotle (and Boston Market) and I like Chipotle, they do use free range chicken. But Baja Fresh is often a tastier experience. Supersize me has one explanation. Same note Olive Garden especially, I dont go to the big "restaurant" chains. I mean Macaroni Grill? boiled pasta is less than a $1, fuck that.

Walmart - I am in New England, and now I have 2 walmarts within 12 miles in the last few years. Sometimes buy household cleaners/personal care stuff there, but not much else. I could save $0.03 cents on a videogame though. I dont like their "censorship" ideals.

Fox News - Never watched it anyways.
Insert: Sodas, and lots of other crappy food, too numerous to mention.

Questions on those who posted about :
Ikea: Why against? They are huge, everyone has it, but they do try and get "Green Lumber" http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/199312_goinggreen12.html
Sony: Ok, so a lot of their new proprietary stuff is annoying, Memory sticks etc, ,but Betamax definately paved the way for VHS and home movies and that law (indirectly) helps support filesharing networks. Plus they have great TVs.
I didnt say I favor either of those, but just was wondering if more info could be provided (especially Ikea).

Boycotting Stores:

Target - if I am concerned about returning something, since they changed their policy a few years ago

CompUSA - Kind of pointless since their selection and prices suck

Toys R Us - Usually they don't have advertised merchandise, Like the last B2G1F - didn't have alot of common titles

Did you guys hear about the Wal-Mart boycott in Mexico? Appearently Wal-Mart is planning to build one of there supperstore really close to the Aztec Pyramids....Wal-Mart blows!

[quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='Kaijufan']Has anyone ever seen the Dodge comercial thats filmed in widescreen, where the truck it driving around and then it stops, the guy in the truck gets out, and removes the cardboard black bars, and the announcer says something stupid about seeing the entire picture? Ive decided never to buy a Dodge because of that one comercial.[/quote]

I kinda like that commercial. :D[/quote]
I’m a big advocate of OAR (I wrote an article about it in my school newspaper), so you can imagine that it made me quite angry.

BestBuy (they don't want my business in the first place, "devil " customers, I still go there now because I have a few GGCs to use but after the end of this year, nope), WalMart, Ford.

I will still shop at Best Buy or any other store if the deal is right. Just to help them lose money on my sale.

A side note about BB, I went to pick up a USB cable for my church the other day. I needed one in a pinch, and the cheapest one was $22, most were above $30. I drove a little further to Wal-Mart and same brand/model cable less than $10.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='WeaponX2099']Wal-mart, Fox news, The Lifetime Networks ( The most evil networks around), Comcast Sports Network, McDonalds ( No Bacon on Burgers), Chrysler ( Discrimation of Minorities with loans in chicagoland area), G-Unit shoes and clothes, Shady clothes, Memphis bleek Cd's. That's all for now.[/quote]

Care to source that? That's a hefty allegation to be throwing around without proof.[/quote]

Chrysler ( Discrimation of Minorities with loans in chicagoland area),

This was very news station in chicago 1 and half ago. I'll try to find it and post a link.

Buy.com for having Skies Of Arcadia listed as instock on their website when it was really out of stock. I got tired of waiting for them to ship my game, so I emailed them. They emailed me back saying that they did not have any more copies of the game instock. The email said that they realized that that did not have any more copies of the game instock when they went to fill my order.

Fred Meyer

Damn over-priced store.

I remember buying Starcraft for the PC for like $30. Then I see the Starcraft Battle Chest that includes the game and its expansion and guides for both for $28 over at Costco.

And I remember buying FF8 when it hit the greatest hits list for $20...but it had that green "Greatest Hits" on the case. I then go to WalMart and see that they had left overs of the original FF8 without the GH markings on it. ARG...

And they never have the new games when they are released. Well, not the Fred Meyer where I live.

bread's done
Back