What the fork is PCI-e?

Ender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
178 (100%)
Ok, I used to be pretty up-to-date on all the PC tech, but since I bought my gaming computer 2 years ago, I've lost touch. I need your help, CAGers, to keep updated!

I understand that AGP is no longer the graphics card standard, and that it is actually on it's last leg. Apparently, PCI-e is the newest and greatest. Correct?

So, I am thinking that I want to upgrade my video card, but I need to know if my best bet is to upgrade to a PCI-e mobo, instead of trying to stick with AGP. If I do this, will my other components work with it? I have a Dell XPS, and I need a little conversion direction, if you will.

Thanks!

Yes PCI-e would be the way to go if your going to do anything graphical ie: gaming. How it runs is by bus speed on your board. pci was the slowest, agp was 4x-8x speed and pci-e is 16x standard. So you will notice a difference from upgrading. Also with the new pci-e is SLI boards which basicly means you can stick two of the same video cards on a sli board, so dual video cards.

Upgrading your Dell might be tricky, make sure theres enough Power, theres a board that fits your case, your memory fits that board, and that your processor can also fit the board. If this is an older board your might want be looking at a hefty upgrade from processor(939 or AM2 are currently the lastest.). But all and all it depends on what you want to do with it.

If you have a retailer PC (HP, Dell, etc.), then chances are you won't be able to find an upgrade the mobo very easily...

There's a new standard coming in Q3 2007, too.

bread's done
Back