What the heck is this stuff?

schuerm26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
122 (99%)
I know very little about computer related stuff. Can anyone help me out with what this stuff is?

It is some cd-rom discs that came in a little cd binder:

The Cd Binder says DELL PowerEdge Servers PowerVault Storage

The CD'S in it are

On Command SiteManager
Dell Online Documentation
Dell OpenManage Resolution Assistant
Dell OpenManage PowerSuites Data Protection 3.0
Dell PowerVault Fibre Channel Utilities CD Version 4.0 x2
Dell 8 and 16 Port Console Switch User Documentation CD
Dell Openmanage Applications

[quote name='Chacrana']Basically, you don't need it.[/quote]

Would I be able to sell it, or just trash it? Alot of stuff people trash they don't know what it is but then trashing it is a mistake, so the next question is the first couple words.

Looks like a binder full of utilities and software that ships with their Dell storage server boxes.

More or less a trash candidate but if you do decide to sell it you probably won't get much if at all for it since it's bundle software.

I honestly don't know if they be worth anything...

[quote name='schuerm26']I know very little about computer related stuff. Can anyone help me out with what this stuff is?

It is some cd-rom discs that came in a little cd binder:

The Cd Binder says DELL PowerEdge Servers PowerVault Storage

The CD'S in it are

On Command SiteManager
Dell Online Documentation
Dell OpenManage Resolution Assistant
Dell OpenManage PowerSuites Data Protection 3.0
Dell PowerVault Fibre Channel Utilities CD Version 4.0 x2
Dell 8 and 16 Port Console Switch User Documentation CD
Dell Openmanage Applications[/quote]

A PowerEdge is a server. My work has a couple. Why would you have all those discs anyways?

[quote name='Xevious']A PowerEdge is a server. My work has a couple. Why would you have all those discs anyways?[/quote]

They were at Goodwill for 50 cents. Didn't know what they were so I bought them on the slight chance they would be worth something.

I also got

A book of Kodak Picture Kiosk Software (I think that is the thing in walmart where you can copy pictures)

and a Microsoft Licensing CD that says July 2005 Applications. Microsoft Office Professional (Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 with Business Conact Manager Update)

Just a word of friendly advice: if you don't know much about computers, don't even waste 50 cents on old software you don't recognize. In the world of computers and technology, pretty much anything old is worthless and probably useless, too.

[quote name='rapsodist']Just a word of friendly advice: if you don't know much about computers, don't even waste 50 cents on old software you don't recognize. In the world of computers and technology, pretty much anything old is worthless and probably useless, too.[/quote]

If you think putting 50 cents on something as a gamble is wasting, then you need to find a new job. I guess I could have bought one of those Mega-Fruit GumBalls.

I have put down 50 cents and more in many times and a lot of times it works out well. Other times, not so much.

Can you honestly say that 50 cents is to valuable to take a chance on something? Come on.

[quote name='schuerm26']If you think putting 50 cents on something as a gamble is wasting, then you need to find a new job. I guess I could have bought one of those Mega-Fruit GumBalls.

I have put down 50 cents and more in many times and a lot of times it works out well. Other times, not so much.

Can you honestly say that 50 cents is to valuable to take a chance on something? Come on.[/quote]

It's not about the 50 cents. It's about knowing that there's no way that software could be worth a dime. You could buy every single piece of computer software in Goodwills across the country and every single one would be worthless.

[quote name='rapsodist']It's not about the 50 cents. It's about knowing that there's no way that software could be worth a dime. You could buy every single piece of computer software in Goodwills across the country and every single one would be worthless.[/quote]

You obviously don't go to Goodwill enough:

Let me pull out some stuff I have found:

Microsoft Office Proffesional & Bookshelf Windows 95 $1
Microsoft Windows 95 $1
Microsoft Office 2000 Standard .49
Windows 98 $1
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Proffesional Edition $3.98

The Misses:
Microsoft Works Suite 2002 1.00 (miss? maybe maybe not)
Wordperfect Office 2000 $1
Corel Print Office $1

Now obviously there is a bunch of crap, but it doesn't take a science degree to realize what has a chance of being good. Obviously there are going to be things that might sound good but aren't, but why you think missing on a 50 cent software booklet is a big deal, I will never understand.

Anways, Im done. Simple question. Simple Answer. It's not worth anything. Big deal. If someone wants the software send me a PM. But don't come on and act like it's impossible to find something at a thrift store that is computer related.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of that is mostly trash. Don't worry about. My advice, just put it some where such as with the box it came in or some where else you can keep it in case tech support ever wants you to use it. But yeah, trash mostly.

[quote name='schuerm26']You obviously don't go to Goodwill enough:

Let me pull out some stuff I have found:

Microsoft Office Proffesional & Bookshelf Windows 95 $1
Microsoft Windows 95 $1
Microsoft Office 2000 Standard .49
Windows 98 $1
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Proffesional Edition $3.98

The Misses:
Microsoft Works Suite 2002 1.00 (miss? maybe maybe not)
Wordperfect Office 2000 $1
Corel Print Office $1

Now obviously there is a bunch of crap, but it doesn't take a science degree to realize what has a chance of being good. Obviously there are going to be things that might sound good but aren't, but why you think missing on a 50 cent software booklet is a big deal, I will never understand.

Anways, Im done. Simple question. Simple Answer. It's not worth anything. Big deal. If someone wants the software send me a PM. But don't come on and act like it's impossible to find something at a thrift store that is computer related.[/quote]

No need to get up in arms. I was just trying to give you a friendly caution but I see now that your idea of value is quite different from mine and others in this thread. To each his own. I wouldn't keep that software if it were given to me for free, but I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.

And for the record, I do scour through Goodwill once a month. I see old software like that all the time, just collecting dust. I'd pick them up and send them your way but the shipping cost probably isn't worth it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
95 and 98 were pretty good operating systems, especially for older machines. I'd definitely pay a buck for each. As far as ms office, I'd stick with open office.

bread's done
Back