What the hell am I gonna do with my cube?

FunkMachineX

CAGiversary!
I get disc errors 2 hours into any game. Then every 5 minutes afterwards, then it goes back to 2hours after waiting like a day. I wanna get four swords but it'll cost me an extra $100 for a new cube :(. Anyone know howto fix this garbage? Or an idea on where to sell it and a cheap place to get a new one (i would do ebay But I don't want an old one like mine that'll start getting disc errors agian). BTW I tried cleaning it and shizzle, i think its so just too damn old. I got it like when it first came out.

try and feel for temperature problems. I dont know why it would but mabye its over heating. It would explain why it stops working quicker after you've had it on for a bit.

It does sound like an overheating problem.

By the way, Funk, I wouldn't chock it up to it being an old machine, or anything like that. Gamecube problems are few and far between, I also don't believe they've made any internal changes so you'd be getting the same system now or then. Don't fret over getting a new one, but get as much as you can out of it if it's broken. Gamestop and EB sell pretty cheap pre-owned GCNs thesed ays.

Sell some games from your collection that you dont play and buy a refurbished cube for $80 then sell the broken one on ebay for like $30

I had the same problem with my GC about a year ago. I thought it was an over-heating problem too. Aftrer calling nintendo, they said they could fix it, but I would have to pay cause it wasnt on warranty anymore and they couldnt (or wouldnt) tell me for sure what the problem was. I ended up trading it in at EB for a ps2. Anyway best of luck with that

If it works at startup, just trade it in at eb or gamestop. tell them you want a different color. Your girl friend is sick of that purple, black, platinum square in your living room.

Haha, yeah I'll probably just trade it in. How much could I get for it tho? Because even if they do test it, they'd have to test it for 2 hours to get the error...

[quote name='FunkMachineX']I get disc errors 2 hours into any game. Then every 5 minutes afterwards, then it goes back to 2hours after waiting like a day. I wanna get four swords but it'll cost me an extra $100 for a new cube :(. Anyone know howto fix this garbage? Or an idea on where to sell it and a cheap place to get a new one (i would do ebay But I don't want an old one like mine that'll start getting disc errors agian). BTW I tried cleaning it and shizzle, i think its so just too damn old. I got it like when it first came out.[/quote]

right before you get the DRE, do you hear a loud click (or clicks)?

The obvious thing is to say its probably overheating, so try to use some canned air on the exhaust port on the side and make sure its got plenty of "room to breathe".

Just buy one from kmart, swap the sticker displaying the serial number (or swap cases, but you'll need a special screwdriver), and return your old one in the same box. Stick it to the man.

Well, my Sega Saturn use to do this same thing, and it was an overheating problem. Since your getting 2 hours of gaming straight out of it, it may not be that bad. Try this, get a fan (a desktop one would be nice), and place it directly next to the cube fan vents (the closer, the better). This will help dissipate some of the heat, instead of 2 hours, you might get 3-4 before overheating (my Saturn went from a half hour to between 1 and 1.5 hours of play with this), leave it on also for a bit after you turn the Cube off, and you should be able to play it faster (shorter break).

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Hey you need a new laser, i can probally fix it if you want me to. all the old gamecubes had this problem, it was a defect and nintendo didnt do a recall because they would loose too much money.

[quote name='toocool17']Hey you need a new laser, i can probally fix it if you want me to. all the old gamecubes had this problem, it was a defect and nintendo didnt do a recall because they would loose too much money.[/quote]

I've never heard of this. Are there any articles online about it?

[quote name='PsyClerk']I'm surprised JSweeney has not appeared on this thread yet.[/quote]

You pick your battles, PsyClerk. This thread isn't going to spark off a bunch of people trying to trade in broken Gamecubes for full credit at EB or Gamestop. It's not like the Walmart scam or any other easily replicated exploit or scam with obvious benefits.

Yes, misrepresenting broken hardware as fully functional is wrong, but starting a massive flamewar over something that would be an isolated occurance would do nothing but create more discord on the boards, and no one wants that.

If you want to get rid of it, i will buy it, name me a price and pm it to me. i have started fixing gamecubes now and they are alot easier then ps2s.

bread's done
Back