What to do about no feedback being left?

Specter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey, I auctioned off Halo 2 a few weeks ago. I got the money order, and then I sent out the game. When he got the game, he told me that he got it, and then said that he would leave me some feedback. So I went on eBay and left him some feedback as well. Well, it must be taking him a long time to get to his computer because he still hasnt left me any feedback. It has been 3-4 weeks since my auction, and now he isnt responding to any of my emails.

Is there anything that I can do to get him to leave me feedback? Any help would be appreciated!

Nope. The only thing you can do is a friendly email reminder, but some people don't like that. Get used to not receiving feedback. If people had left all the feedback for transactions I have done over the years, my rating would be about 800 instead of 538 it is now.

why would you give him a negative for simply mot leaving feedback. He paid you in a timely manner. That would be kind of dickish to leave him a negative..

Feedback is optional. People are not requried to leave it and if you leave negative feedback for someone who paid you and completed the sale in a timely manner but failed to leave you feedback, then you need to rethink the whole ebay thing.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. It just kinda pisses me off when I dont get any feedback from a good auction. Whatever...

When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).

[quote name='Specter']Ok, I guess that makes sense. It just kinda pisses me off when I dont get any feedback from a good auction. Whatever...[/quote]

I understand your frustration. I once sold $1000 worth of Star Wars action figures and put a lot of effort into shipping and packing them and I got zero feedback left for it. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it. Like it was said above, when you sell, don't leave feedback for the buyer until they leave it for you and state in your auction that feedback will be left for the buyer once they leave feedback for you.

^^ That's what I do.

Also I would advise against sending a reminder e-mail. As scsg75 said feedback is optional and even a nicely worded reminder e-mail may piss off a buyer.

Some people just don't do feedback. Sucks when you know you deserve a (+) but there's nothing you can do about it.

[quote name='wubb']^^ That's what I do.

Also I would advise against sending a reminder e-mail. As scsg75 said feedback is optional and even a nicely worded reminder e-mail may piss off a buyer.

Some people just don't do feedback. Sucks when you know you deserve a (+) but there's nothing you can do about it.[/quote]

I always send email reminders about a week after the auction if feedback hasn't been left and I have never had any problems. I'd suggest the OP do the same if it's really bothering him. It's not like the buyer will leave a neg. because of a friendly email.

[quote name='"onikage"'][quote name='wubb']

It's not like the buyer will leave a neg. because of a friendly email.[/quote]

You would be suprised nowadays. People are like that sometimes.

[quote name='Specter']Because he is a little bitch for not giving feedback. Stay outta this topic if you are gonna be like that.[/quote]

The only little bitch here is you...stop whining like some 2 year old princess.

Yeah, this pisses me off too. I sold something a couple of months ago and the guy never left feedback. I reminded him three times and never got a response back. My mistake was I also gave him positive feedback, so now he has no obligation to respond to me.

the best idea is an email asking ot make sure he got the item alright that mentions leaving postive feedback. If you want to maximumize feedback received I would hold off leaving feedback unitl like a week or so later, then leave the feedback and send an email saying "i hope that you have received your item by now and I have left you positive feedback" Regardless you won't get near 100 percent response. people very low in feedback don't understand the system and people very high often don't have time due to too many auctions or don;t care since one feedback doesn't help their rating much.

It doesn't matter, stop worrying. As long as you have at least 10 positive feedback or more, you can bid in any auction on ebay, so who cares.

I used to worry about it too until I reached 50. Now I don't care, I figure that's enough to garner confidence from buyers and sellers. As long as my "positive response" remains at 100%, I'm ok with not receiving anymore feedbacks.

^ Yep, people like me who only have 20 feedback worry about people who don't leave any. But if you have like 100 feedback or higher, I don't think you have to worry about it anymore.

Good luck getting feedback on %50 of your sales.

I've been selling things through Half.com since 2000 and I only had about 22 total feedbacks after selling $600 of stuff. (about 50 sales)

When Half.com and Ebay finally merged, they wiped our feedback slate clean and since then, I only have about 17. (with 40+ sales)

Frustrating, but part of the game I guess.

[quote name='Grico']the best idea is an email asking ot make sure he got the item alright that mentions leaving postive feedback. If you want to maximumize feedback received I would hold off leaving feedback unitl like a week or so later, then leave the feedback and send an email saying "i hope that you have received your item by now and I have left you positive feedback" Regardless you won't get near 100 percent response. people very low in feedback don't understand the system and people very high often don't have time due to too many auctions or don;t care since one feedback doesn't help their rating much.[/quote]

That's exactly what I do. It doesn't point so much attention to the fact that you want feedback. It sounds more like I'm just concerned and checking up on the status of their item delivery.

Another trick, at least with Half.com, is to ship it First Class for free on certain items.

Paperback books, video games and CDs often are only a few cents (.20 maybe?) to upgrade to First Class from Media Mail.

I write "Free upgrade to First Class shipping!!" with a marker on the envelope and I'd say about 80% of my feedback says "Wow, Fast shipping!" or some other variant of the comment.

If you're going to send a reminder email, don't do it more than once. Even if your emails are friendly, I could see that as irritating. Not everyone cares about feedback; people just want to get their stuff. Feedback is more of a courtesy (though a very influential one).

And leaving a negative for not receiving feedback is VERY asinine. Don't do it.

[quote name='Legolas813']Yeah, this pisses me off too. I sold something a couple of months ago and the guy never left feedback. I reminded him three times and never got a response back. My mistake was I also gave him positive feedback, so now he has no obligation to respond to me.[/quote]

He had no obligation to respond to you even when you didn't give him feedback. He obviously doesn't care about feedback, so I doubt you leaving him any really has any impact on what he would have done. I wait for the buyer to leave feedback first only to try to avoid unwarranted negatives. But after a while (or if they let me know they go it okay), I usually leave them feedback anyways.

[quote name='TomCloud9']I cant even get feedback left from people in the CAG community, even though I leave it for every one else.[/quote]

Same here, I'm still missing some here at CAG.

I wouldn't harass him. Sometimes people don't leave feedback and if you keep bothering them they might just leave you a negative, or a neutral.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Once I left a friendly reminder email and I got a REALLY nasty email back about it... hell I posted about it on CAG.[/quote]

Yes, I remember that post. This topic made me remember that situation - which is basically people get very annoyed with things like.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).[/quote]

This is such bullshit and is a major problem inherent with the feedback system of Ebay. As a friend of mine put it - "feedback isn't a mutual handjob". You should leave feedback based on your side of the transaction. If you're a seller and someone pays you promptly, you should reward them with positive feedback since they held up their end of the bargain. If they don't pay, then you leave them negative feedback. If you buy an item and it comes as described, then you leave positive feedback. It's pretty simple. It'd be nice to see a system that documented when people left feedback, e.g., if a seller left feedback for the buyer did.

The method described above and seconded by subsequent posts only encourages people not to leave feedback at all. This sort of seller behavior is pretty pathetic.

[quote name='yeah-yeah'][quote name='YoshiFan1']When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).[/quote]

This is such bullshit and is a major problem inherent with the feedback system of Ebay. As a friend of mine put it - "feedback isn't a mutual handjob". You should leave feedback based on your side of the transaction. If you're a seller and someone pays you promptly, you should reward them with positive feedback since they held up their end of the bargain. If they don't pay, then you leave them negative feedback. If you buy an item and it comes as described, then you leave positive feedback. It's pretty simple. It'd be nice to see a system that documented when people left feedback, e.g., if a seller left feedback for the buyer did.

The method described above and seconded by subsequent posts only encourages people not to leave feedback at all. This sort of seller behavior is pretty pathetic.[/quote]

The seller's responsibility isn't over when the item ships. The item can get lost, damaged, wrong item, etc. The buyer should give the seller an opportunity to fix a problem if it arises, and the seller should try and fix it. The transaction isn't over until the buyer gets the item, and since most items get to their destination okay, sellers wait for their feedback first to know they got the item.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='yeah-yeah'][quote name='YoshiFan1']When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).[/quote]

The method described above and seconded by subsequent posts only encourages people not to leave feedback at all. This sort of seller behavior is pretty pathetic.[/quote]

The seller's responsibility isn't over when the item ships. The item can get lost, damaged, wrong item, etc. The buyer should give the seller an opportunity to fix a problem if it arises, and the seller should try and fix it. The transaction isn't over until the buyer gets the item, and since most items get to their destination okay, sellers wait for their feedback first to know they got the item.[/quote]

Yes, the seller's responsiblity isn't always over even after the item arrives. I'm not disputing that. Whether or not an item arrives at the intened destination should not affect the buyer's feedback

I understand that you'd like to leave feedback if a buyer is unreasonable, but that can always be addressed in reply comments and/or post-transaction mediation.

If this behavior is adopted by the majority of Ebay users, people will stop leaving feedback altogether.

[quote name='yeah-yeah'][quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='yeah-yeah'][quote name='YoshiFan1']When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).[/quote]

The seller's responsibility isn't over when the item ships. The item can get lost, damaged, wrong item, etc. The buyer should give the seller an opportunity to fix a problem if it arises, and the seller should try and fix it. The transaction isn't over until the buyer gets the item, and since most items get to their destination okay, sellers wait for their feedback first to know they got the item.[/quote]

Yes, the seller's responsiblity isn't always over even after the item arrives. I'm not disputing that. Whether or not an item arrives at the intened destination should not affect the buyer's feedback

I understand that you'd like to leave feedback if a buyer is unreasonable, but that can always be addressed in reply comments and/or post-transaction mediation.

If this behavior is adopted by the majority of Ebay users, people will stop leaving feedback altogether.[/quote]

Either that or eBay will actually revamp their feedback process.

what pisses me of is when a seller doesn't leave feedback. i always pay immediatly when i actually buy something but still don't get feedback from sellers about 10 percent of the time. WTF? when i sell i leave feedback as soon as they pay. i think the whole "holding feedback over your head" thing is lame, of course i do have that one neg. because some guy didn't change his online address and i shipped to his address on file with ebay. funny 'cause i'm sure he eventually got his stuff as i offered a refund and never got a reply (nor did he agree to withdraw the feedback).

[quote name='tragicslip']what pisses me of is when a seller doesn't leave feedback. i always pay immediatly when i actually buy something but still don't get feedback from sellers about 10 percent of the time. WTF? when i sell i leave feedback as soon as they pay. i think the whole "holding feedback over your head" thing is lame, of course i do have that one neg. because some guy didn't change his online address and i shipped to his address on file with ebay. funny 'cause i'm sure he eventually got his stuff as i offered a refund and never got a reply (nor did he agree to withdraw the feedback).[/quote]

Transaction is finished when the item is recieved and buyer left his/her feedback, after that I'll leave my feedback (as a seller). This is never going to change!

That's just me. :D

[quote name='yeah-yeah'][quote name='YoshiFan1']When you sell, don't leave feedback first. That way you won't give positive feedback to someone and not get it in return and they are less likely to leave negative feedback, knowing they can get it in return (although it still won't stop everyone).[/quote]

That would be true in an ideal world. The truth is that some of the bidders have serious issues and will leave a negative for no reason at all. The only thing worse than getting a negative for no reason is to get that negative after gave them a positive.

I sold a sony digital camera for $120 on ebay. I then mail it the next day, left a feedback for his lighting speed payment. A week later, I email him if you have got the package yet and it be cool if you leave me a feedback also. He never responded back. It kinda stupid, first he email me that he need the package sent to his gf by christmas which I did. I know I should have like 100+ postive feedback

My current eBay feedback is 279. Ive completed well over 500 auctions since 2000.

It seems people don't leave feedback unless they're pissed off about something.

Looks like you'll have to resort ot the pity "please leave feedback for me" email.

bread's done
Back