What to do with a red ringed Xbox 360?

humidore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
It's not under warranty anymore, and I have a 250gb hard drive already (thanks woot!). So what's my best option in your opinion? Send it in to MS for servicing ($100)? Can I sell it somewhere? Look for a 4gb model? Get a PS3 finally?...

Search for the solution online and open it up. It's out of warranty so why not try to fix it yourself. If all else fails send it to MS for them to fix.

[quote name='humidore']It's not under warranty anymore, and I have a 250gb hard drive already (thanks woot!). So what's my best option in your opinion? Send it in to MS for servicing ($100)? Can I sell it somewhere? Look for a 4gb model? Get a PS3 finally?...[/QUOTE]

You sure it's not under warranty? I thought red rings were a 3 year warranty.

EDIT:

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/troubleshoot/warranty/xbox-360-new-warranty.aspx

Yep, 3 years for red ring. Unless you have an Xbox 360 S, in which case it's still under it's 1 year warranty.

Fixing it yourself isn't extremely hard if you have the right tools.
I assume fixing it involves reflowing the solder (same as with YLOD, right?) and you can find a heat gun and flux for about $20 (harborfreight.com for heat gun, and flux is pretty cheap everywhere.)

bread's done
Back