What to do with a working 60gb, not updated.

DP4

CAG Veteran
Back when Sony was removing features I took my original PS3 offline for a few months. I picked up a used Slim for new games. Now I'm wondering if there's any reason to keep it as-is, a fully functional 60 w/BC and Linux. I could just update it since I'm not really concerned about keeping Linux (don't use my PS3 for anything but gaming). I don't know that I'd sell it at the moment as I collect games and all, but if I knew there was some value to keeping it un-updated then I would leave it alone. The question is whether people were scared off from that model when they started breaking down and the extra features don't matter anymore.

Thoughts or anything? Seems many of the 60's on Ebay are for parts so I dunno if a working model is a rarity now. Ha.

I don't know anybody who would buy a PS3 just to use Linux. Without updating the firmware, you miss out on PSN access, being able to play newer games, being able to play newer blu-rays(encryption keys need to be renewed), and any bugs that need to be fixed in previous firmware. The 60GB used to be the definitive PS3 sku due to linux, ps2 compatibility, memory card slots, and 4 usb ports.

As of right now you can get a PS2 slim at gamestop for $40. Most people would prefer PSN access than linux. Some popular PS2 games have received HD remakes and trophy support. The PS Store also has some PS2 games for sale since Sony somehow found a way to emulate PS2 games on the PS3 skus that don't have PS2 backwards compatibility. The 60GB PS3 also drains way more power, and uses both very old 90nm CPU/GPU.

After all said and done, the 60GB PS3 basically has 4 usb ports and memory card reader to brag about left compared to a newer slimmer PS3.

I have 2. Back then I thought the frequent updates were stupid and you never know how far they'd get with hacking or homebrew. Of course now that's all changed but since I've been using the Slim it's never crossed my mind. The console has been living under the bed. Ha. I know it's the best SKU which is why I kept it. Still have my PS2 and tons of other consoles. Plus the games, making the remakes a little less important to me. Rarely does anything get sold. Like I said just wanted to know if this has become an 'item' since it's fully featured and still working, especially if for some reason the lost features are desirable. Hate to screw it up on one of these updates. There may be a few unsynced trophies too from when I was still using it offline. Now whether I'd use it to make it worth updating is the decision.

You could probably count the amount of people who sincerely cared about the loss of Linux on your hand. Most of the outrage was from loser gamers looking for something to whine about.

I sold my original 60GB to a friend for $100 cause I know they are more likely to start breaking down around now.

There's no reason for them to break down unless you neglect it. Of all my 32+ consoles the only thing to break beyond my ability to fix was the laser on the original model PS1. My PS2 is a launch model that works and so does my launch PS3 even though I haven't used it in 2 years.

I just say linux because that's when the console was easier to modify. PC's can run the OS with little effort so that alone isn't the factor.

It seems all the more useful features (USB, card reader, BC) wouldn't be affected if I were to update. Keeping the older FW isn't making it valuable or anything. So what would I do with 2 PS3's? Suppose I can share games and play 2 player when nobody else on my list is working on the same game.

The plan wasn't to sell it but maybe I'll just let it be. The use I'd get from having a second probably wouldn't outweigh any potential value of a working 'ultimate' model with an early FW. Hell I wonder what it would take to mod it to go online. As long as I'm not playing backups (and I won't as I prefer to collect games) then nobody should care.

bread's done
Back