What to do with PS3 with disk reading problems?

Duke

CAGiversary!
My Fat 80GB PS3 recently stopped reading games/blu-rays. At this time, it still reads DVD's but I don't know the ins and outs and what that might mean. Does anybody have any experience or advice with this? Is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just sell it as is, and how much do you think I could get out of it in either case? It is NOT backwards compatible.

Google. I've seen people simply clean the lens while others replace the whole mechanism. Either way, pretty cheap and easy to fix

[quote name='Duke']My Fat 80GB PS3 recently stopped reading games/blu-rays. At this time, it still reads DVD's but I don't know the ins and outs and what that might mean. Does anybody have any experience or advice with this? Is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just sell it as is, and how much do you think I could get out of it in either case? It is NOT backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]

I agree with shadowkast, try cleaning it. If that fails try to replace the drive yourself. I'm not sure what Sony charges for repairs these days but I'm sure it's way too much considering the console bundles were only $200 on BF. it's looking like the ps4 won't play ps3 games so if you're going to want to continue to play those games you'll need a functioning console.

[quote name='Blaster man']I agree with shadowkast, try cleaning it. If that fails try to replace the drive yourself. I'm not sure what Sony charges for repairs these days but I'm sure it's way too much considering the console bundles were only $200 on BF. it's looking like the ps4 won't play ps3 games so if you're going to want to continue to play those games you'll need a functioning console.[/QUOTE]

Your so wrong ps4 will play ps3 games

[quote name='Duke']My Fat 80GB PS3 recently stopped reading games/blu-rays. At this time, it still reads DVD's but I don't know the ins and outs and what that might mean. Does anybody have any experience or advice with this? Is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just sell it as is, and how much do you think I could get out of it in either case? It is NOT backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]

take a q tip and spray it with windex and rub the lense carefully wait till it drys up and try to play a game. If at that point it reads your good if it doesn't then youll need to replace the lense will cost you about $30-$40 for a new laser on ebay.

[quote name='starmask2k3']Your so wrong ps4 will play ps3 games[/QUOTE]

Confirmed it won't, actually.

Anyway, on topic. OP, you just have a bad blu-ray lens. Either clean it (Google has a few ways, use what you have), or if cleaning doesn't work you'll need to replace it. It's pretty simple and a new lens is around $30-40. Same thing happened to me years ago with my launch 60gig, no problems since.

bread's done
Back