What to do?

rocky_onasis

CAGiversary!
So I just won an auction for 5 Xbox 360 games.  The final price was 25 cents plus $5.75 in shipping so I was pretty excited.  I paid right away then a few hours later I get a cancellation request from the seller.  He states that with the fees to ebay and paypal he will lose money on the auction.  Now I am a CAG so I love a good deal, but I also don't want to be an asshole.  What is the ebay etiquette in this situaiton?  Should I accept his request to cancel the sale?  What happens if I decline?  I assume there is nothing ebay can do besides putting a negative review on his account.   

The right thing for him to do would be to own up to the fact that he made a bad move by setting the auction too low and follow through with the transaction despite losing money. You would not be an asshole for leaving a negative since you won it fair and square.

You're about correct. He ought to be selling them to you anyway as that's what he agreed when he listed the item. It's entirely up to you - you are well within your right to refuse, open a case against him and eventually get refunded. He'll then have to jump through hoops to get his ebay fees refunded (if he gets them at all) and has a very real chance of being kicked off the site as a result.

Or you could accept the cancellation request and move on.

I suppose it depends on how vindictive you care to be.

Just accept the request and get your money back.  Leave a neutral or if you want a negative

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you don't cancel, he won't send anyway if he's losing money, and then you'll be chasing Paypal for your money.

If anyone ever sends me a cancellation request as the buyer or seller, I just honor it because it's easier. Any potential deal to be had or money to be made will end up being much more trouble than it's worth.

hmmmm what games did you win?

Message him and offer him  $1 dollar extra to go ahead with the transaction, if not i say refuse it.. and leave negative feedback if he does not send the games.

I had a similar case  two years ago, but worse.. the guy made up some story about no longer having 4 out of the 5 game lot i had won. I had won the auction pretty cheap and paid right after it ended so i knew he was bsing...

You win some, you lose some.. that's how it works on ebay and that's the way it works here too (lowballs)

sooo like i said... leave negative feedback if he does not send you the games.

:)

Tell him to sell them to you for the same shipping price and throw a few bucks his way...see what the lowest he wants for them is. You should have priority if he's going to list them again. I guess that depends on whether or not you feel the games are worth doing so.

I had a similar situation when I sold a copy of Sonic Unleashed I actually had to pay instead of getting paid but I decided to just honor it and let the person enjoy the game in the end still sucked a bit though I guess I should have spread the message a bit more oh well at least it was a one time incident.

I had a similar situation when I sold a copy of Sonic Unleashed I actually had to pay instead of getting paid but I decided to just honor it and let the person enjoy the game in the end still sucked a bit though I guess I should have spread the message a bit more oh well at least it was a one time incident.
You are a stand up guy.

I had the same issue happen with a Dreamcast controller. That thing was too damn big to fit in the box I though, ended up paying the dude a buck to take it. Best part was, he sent me a message about it afterwards and we started playing some stuff together after that. Cool guy.

bread's done
Back