What was the first game that you were really good at?

venturin

CAGiversary!
Do you remember the very first game that you just sort of "got"? The first game where you seemed to be innately good at?

For me it was an ancient arcade game called Bandido. Sort of an inside out Space Invaders where you were in the middle of an arena and the bad guys walked around the perimeter. You took shots at them, they took shots at you and several at a time would enter the arena and try to take you down.

The controller was (as I recall) a joystick for moving and an 8 directional controller for aiming your gun. You turned it to aim your gun and pushed it down to shoot. I loved the controls, and for me it was so perfect and precise. Released in 1980... I am old...

gfs_6190_2_1.jpg

I remember 2 games: Rush ' n ' Attack for the original Nintendo(beat it) & Mike Tysons Punch-Out cause I actually beat Tyson and all my friends were like "NO WAY" LOL.

2 games I played on the TI 99-4a:
Dig Dug
Tunnels of Doom.

The former you all know; it's an arcade classic. I remember getting reasonably close to the Guinness record on it.

The second was a dungeon-crawling RPG where you created characters, traveled first-person hallways, and cracked safes. It also required a cassette tape to load (300 seconds of weird-ass noise).

Any RPG I guess, not sure which one specifically.

I'd readily admit that on all other genres I'm probably average or a bit better, but I'm "really good" at most RPGs.

Yea Robotron was a very good game. Sometimes I could get in the zone with that game and really do well, other times it was like I couldn't get past level 10.

Probably Mario Bros. on the 2600. I was eventually able to get to level 99 (and past it? Can't remember); that's how much I played it.

Combat on the Atari 2600. Even though it was the late 80s, it was first console and first love.

Later on, I got insanely good at the first Jedi Knight game. I'd spend hours on the MSN Gaming Zone playing multiplayer and blowing people away with the force. Good times!

Sonic 2 and Yar’s Revenge.

It might be my exaggerated childhood memory, but I remember going through the whole game and beating it before I left for school one morning (and I wasn’t late). I also want to say Yar’s Revenge on Atari 2600, but there isn’t much there to get good at.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Tunnels of Doom. [/QUOTE]

I didn't think anyone else would ever remember that game!

TunnelsOfDoom.png

I used to go over to my aunts house and play that. I think she had some expansions for it too. so much fun!

that and those damn text adventures. :)

Probably Super Mario World, but to be honest... if you couldn't beat that game in a day, you should have your gaming license revoked. Also, that was my first game system. My dad had an NES but total crap for games (...not even SMB.) and I played Atari at my grandfathers when I'd visit.

I almost forgot about Superman for the Atari 2600. Back then it seemed like that game was so deep and had so many things to do! And the city was built around a bunch of connected screens, I memorized the layout and I remember figuring out how to fly to the very top corner of screens to take short cuts to city locations.

This was my first "speed run" game. I could do it in less than a minute as I recall. Of course this was a major achievement in a young dudes life, but I was the only one who knew and/or cared. My Mom had no idea, and my friends liked video games, but didn't quite have the..... passion. :)

SMB3 I guess. I never had a ton of money to spend at the arcades. I could swear when it got re-released on the VC people were calling the game hard. Kids these days.

OP I think I played that Bandido game in the first Wario Ware game on the GBA.

bread's done
Back