What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

Went to ye olde record shop yesterday and picked up.

Felt - Forever Breathes The Lonely Word (reissue)
Roxy Music - Country Life (reissue)
Brian Eno/David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (2006 reissue)
Pulp - Seperations (Fire reissue)
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (hybrid CD/SACD reissue)

I think that was all. I was eyeing some Can, Lloyd Cole, Tom Verlaine, and Gang of Four albums too. Might get them next week.

If any of you guys like most of what I wrote up here, I applaud you and want to share music!

[quote name='Pookymeister']In Flames - Come clarity[/quote]

:applause:

Just ordered Dark Tranquility's "Fiction" and Greg Graffin's "Cold as the Clay."

[quote name='sarausagi']Hilary Duff - Dignity Deluxe Edition[/quote]

Didn't you just lose your dignity after admiting to buying that album?

[quote name='fart_bubble']Didn't you just lose your dignity after admiting to buying that album?[/QUOTE]

Not at all, quite honestly, she's the only legitimate pure pop artist in the United States right now. For Hilary, it's quite an achievement to be part of such a production.

wow. I haven't bought a cd in a very long time. I guess the last one I purchased was probably Job For A Cowboy's "doom"

[quote name='SL4IN']wow. I haven't bought a cd in a very long time. I guess the last one I purchased was probably Job For A Cowboy's "doom"[/QUOTE]

Saw them live recently at a Cannibal Corpse show, decent band. I got to shake the guitarists(Ravi) hand. I also saw The Red Chord, liked them a lot and I think that will be my next album purchase.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Cannibal Corpse- Eaten Back To Life

LOVE this album, it's fucking great.[/QUOTE]

Heh, you just now got this album?

Probably ordering Yoko Ono's Season of Glass today. Digging it a lot, so far, after listening to some of a pal's copy. No, No, No and She Gets Down On Her Knees are each incredible tracks.

I'm also looking for a good deal on the Onobox used, hopefully I find one.

I also want the latest Yoko remix album, keeping my eyes peeled for that.

[quote name='sarausagi']Hilary Duff - Dignity Deluxe Edition[/quote]

I picked up the deluxe version of that as well, when I bought it. Cool DVD, definitely worth forking over the extra bucks for. Plus she looks a heck of a lot hotter on the deluxe sleeve than the album cover.

Got any favorite tracks? Outside of You is my favorite, for sure. It's always nice to hear her actually EMOTING instead of so much just sticking to the one monotone unemotional vocal, and this song has plenty of it. Plus the song itself is really strong; great hook, upbeat cute lyrics, etc.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I picked up the deluxe version of that as well, when I bought it. Cool DVD, definitely worth forking over the extra bucks for. Plus she looks a heck of a lot hotter on the deluxe sleeve than the album cover.

Got any favorite tracks? Outside of You is my favorite, for sure. It's always nice to hear her actually EMOTING instead of so much just sticking to the one monotone unemotional vocal, and this song has plenty of it. Plus the song itself is really strong; great hook, upbeat cute lyrics, etc.[/QUOTE]

The deluxe edition is definitely worth it, and I was surprised to find out the DVD wasn't just promo junk/media packet, sounded like Hilary was actually thinking about what she was saying...I've always believed that if they let her, she's a very articulate girl.

Favorite tracks? It's hard for me to pick a favorite because quite honestly it's her best production to date. I think once you get to "Never Stop", it just keeps going up hill from there..pretty much every song from there on is exceedingly good. I was surprised by "Happy" and "Outside of You", didn't think she could handle that type of song structure and she sounds great, but I can't help but love the upbeat songs: No Work All Play, Dreamer, Between You And Me. Thinking about it, No Work All Play is very unique as an actual song..but I may just be too in love with beat boxes, synth strings, and that lush layered sequencing.

I don't know how you feel about Joel and Good Charlotte, but in my opinion, this CD really shows what a bad song writer [and influence] Joel really is, everything on "MOST WANTED" written by Joel was atrocious, and while Hilary says that one half of dignity was written with Joel and one without, it definitely feels like it was written all without Joel. I believe she is on her path to becoming a very serious dance pop artist.

She should totally remake some of her old gems: "Anywhere But Here", "Come Clean", and "Shine"

^ Totally agree on the two songs you were most surprised by. Happy was, right away, the track that sold me on the album. I'd always ignored Hilary albums, but I heard that track in one of the pre-release web streams (it was the only song I allowed myself to hear before deciding to buy), and fell in love. Sure enough, the entire album (save the title track, which I don't care for at all; it's boring, and kinda hokey) turned out to be a winner! After I bought it, I equally fell in love with Outside of You.

Never Stop is another unique one. I love that buzzing saw synth that pulsates throughout - sounds like it's changing time signatures from the verses to the chorus, no? Maybe I haven't correctly pinpointed it, but whoever produced that did a solid job. No Work All Play is, as you said, also unique. Very 'slingy', for lack of a better term. A jazzy synth-dance song, I suppose.

I also see what you're saying with regards to the feel of the album. It feels like a bonafide theme album about the process of breaking up; from being in love, realizing you've fallen out of love, being angry, hating the ex's new flame, having fun on your own, and finally being content with how things turned out. Total catharsis album rather than just a hodge-podge of tracks, I totally dig that.

For all of the flack she'll continue taking for being a weak technical singer and utilizing more pitch correction than many of her peers, she deserves all the more praise for actually playing such a significant role in a great record. I can't speak for her prior material, but this one has the fingerprint of her recent life all over it, and I appreciate that. I also appreciate her improved vocals, like I said before - more emotion, more charm, better delivery. Kudos to everyone involved on this one, Hilary most significantly.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Didn't you just lose your dignity after admiting to buying that album?[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Giant Squid - Metridium Fields

Just fucking amazing. Seriously.[/quote]

One of the best CD's I've heard in a while.

I just preordered "Pearl Jam Live at the Gorge" from pearljam.com. It's a 7 disc boxed set that spans three shows from three nights in a row in 2006. The setlists are great and the performance is supposed to be fantastic as well. It comes out June 26.

Got the OOP album "Jerky Versions of the Dream" by Howard Devoto for $110 off ebay.

I'll probably go to the CD shops this weekend. I'm looking to pick up the sole album by Tuff Darts and maybe another Brian Eno and Beach Boys album.

Bought three in the past couple weeks:

Tori Amos - American Doll Posse
Jane Monheit - Surrender

Got them from Barnes and Noble, because Surrender had a bonus track exclusive to them and ordering Tori with it got me free shipping.

And, from iTunes:

The Puppini Sisters - Betcha Bottom Dollar

Kill Your Idols - Salmon Swim Upstream 7" vinyl

Got a bunch of stuff from an AMR grab bag - buttons, stickers, patches, posters, some doubles of albums, some new:
Asian Man Records - Mailorder Is Fun In Europe
RSD - S/T
Fast Food - Mangrooves ...get a groove
Keyser Soze - Revenge
Cordelia's Dad - What It Is
The Pharmacy - Death From Above
The Toasters - Enemy Of The System
Potshot - Freedom And Responsibility EP vinyl

[quote name='xeno']last albums i bought in the last couple of months:

Despairs ray-mirror
[/quote]

I *almost* want to spend my cdjapan points towards this....but i already "have" it. As it is, I will only pay if they tour the US again, so I know where my $$ i goin -_-

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']
The Locust - The Locust[/QUOTE]

Do you like New Erections? And how do they sound in comparison to each other?

[quote name='rabbitt']Do you like New Erections? And how do they sound in comparison to each other?[/quote]

Yea, it was a decent enough album. Not quite as good as Plague Soundscapes or the s/t, but decent enough. It's got a lot of the slower elements from Safety Second Body Last, but it sounds a bit more radio friendly. I'd go as far as to say it's their most accesible album yet.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Yea, it was a decent enough album. Not quite as good as Plague Soundscapes or the s/t, but decent enough. It's got a lot of the slower elements from Safety Second Body Last, but it sounds a bit more radio friendly. I'd go as far as to say it's their most accesible album yet.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm gonna check out Plague Soundscapes now.

Bought a couple of albums I've been meaning to get for a long time.
I should have had them years ago.

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
New Order - Movement

Yesterday Got Circa Survive's On Letting Go also, and Deas Vail - All The Houses look The Same.

The Deas Vail was $6.99 new at hastings, so I was damn pleased.

Got three CDs in the mail today from Asian Man:

Slapstick - 25 Songs
Skankin' Pickle - Skafunkrastapunk
Skankin' Pickle - Fever

bread's done
Back