What was the WORST game you ever paid the MOST money for?

[quote name='Kuma']i paid 70 dollars plus tax for Superman 64 the day it came out. if anyone else thinks they can beat that come see me, ill be out in the middle of the road waiting for a large truck to relieve me of my stupidity.[/quote]

A Winner Is You!! :D

WCW Thunder and Auto Modellista. WCW Thunder is still good for laughs though, and is always good for prank phone calls.

Mischief Makers did suck, luckily I only rented it. The reason all of you probably bought it was because of the now defuct magazine GAMEFAN gave it all 98s and hailed it as the best 2D game ever.

fucking E. Storm!

The worst game I ever bought at full price was when i got my Sega Genesis in 1993. I was in third grade, and it took me a year to save up the money. It came with Sonic, and i got Sonic 2 by mail, but i wanted to get another game. My cousins were obsessed with the Simpsons, and I wanted htem to like me, so I got Bart vs. The Space Mutants. The worst game ever made. me and my friends played it last month, and still couldnt figure out how to get out of the first level. It make no fucking sense.

Zone of the Enders. It was an alright game but definitely not worth the 50 bucks I paid for it. The MGS2 demo somewhat made up for it, but then I played the full game only to found out about Raiden :bomb:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Final Fantasy 8 at launch. That game sucked so badly I wanted to cry. To this day I hate like no other game I've played. I've played technically worse games, but FF8 will always hold the most of my hatred.[/QUOTE]

Was it because it wasn't FF7?

State of Emergency. LAST TIME I ever believed a game's hype.

Another mention was WWF Attitude for N64. I saved up all my money back then (too young for a job) for months to buy that $69.99 piece of garbage.

[quote name='alpo845']Mischief Makers did suck, luckily I only rented it. The reason all of you probably bought it was because of the now defuct magazine GAMEFAN gave it all 98s and hailed it as the best 2D game ever.

fucking E. Storm!

The worst game I ever bought at full price was when i got my Sega Genesis in 1993. I was in third grade, and it took me a year to save up the money. It came with Sonic, and i got Sonic 2 by mail, but i wanted to get another game. My cousins were obsessed with the Simpsons, and I wanted htem to like me, so I got Bart vs. The Space Mutants. The worst game ever made. me and my friends played it last month, and still couldnt figure out how to get out of the first level. It make no fucking sense.[/QUOTE]

Gotta collect enough red objects dude! At least that's how it went in the NES edition.

SportsTalk Baseball for Genesis. $60 and after about 30 games in season mode, it was messed up and would announce Phillies player's names when I was using the Mets.

I gotta go with Elder Scrolls: Marrowind for the Pc. I bought into the hype and rave reviews and ran out and got it on day one. Hated every second of it. Hated the lack of direction, the brown ugly world, riding on bugs, the fact everyone said basically the same thing over and over again. Nothing compelled me about it but because I paid 50 bucks I managed to play it for about 10 hours before saying "Screw this".

I also have NBA Jam for the PS2 but never opened it... used to buy ANYTHING that was 20 and under and that was one of my weirder purchases. Seeing as how I dont really like basketball or the original NBA Jam all that much.

N64 WWF Attitude...I shelled out $74.99 @ KB Toys the week it came out...
I was to jaded by it being the first "wwf" 3-D wrestling game. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Aidyn Chronicles The First Mage, I hate that game so much. I can't believe I chose it over Paper Mario. Last time I buy something because it's more "serious".

ANd then the girl I liked loved Paper Mario, that would have been a great conversation piece right there.

So in all Aidyn Chronicles is not only a horrible game.
It ruins love lives.

Dunno if I ever really did it knowingly, more like foolishly because I bought them all based on concept alone. But I'd say Spawn (PS1), Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Akuma (PC), and Soul Fighter are all among my biggest full price purchase regrets as a gamer.

$5 for Ice Climbers for the GBA. I guess the memories were better than the real thing.

I don't buy games I don't like. This was the one exception.

Star Fox Adventures, $50 on day 1. Reviews weren't bad, and I enjoyed the game, but it could have been so much better.

I can only think of one time, because usually I won't buy a game for a high price unless I know it's just frickin' amazing.

BUT

When I was like 10-11 or so, I begged my parents to buy me the Addams Family game for the NES brand new at Wal-mart. That game sucked my soul and my parent's dollars down the drain. That crap was impossible, and stupid.

Where in the movie did Gomez run through the GIANT ice-box or furnace, and fight the damn Skeleton boss under the grave/tree.

BAH!

Donkey Kong 64

It got good reviews but wow...I had to force myself to sit down and play that game. I can't believe I wasted a whole month's of chores and a straight A's report card on that, haha.

I have to disagree with a few of these.. Blast Corps rocked and I played that a ton, even though I bought it new..

NBA Jam on SNES, another $50 purchase, but I played that game so much, even bought T.E. and wrote a FAQ for it for my friends in grade school.. lol.

And speaking of Pokemon Snap.. that game is fun, if you can look past the whole pokemon thing. Then again i paid like $1.50 for it, so i might not appreciate the sting of a $60 price tag.

Pokemon Colosseum.

I preordered it and even bought the Limited Edition guide to go with it... and I don't really care for it.

The Stadium games are better, and while they lack a story mode, they also don't have that obscene jump in levels that Colosseum does at the end of the game (from 50-something to 70-80s... o_o). Plus minigames > story mode. There, I said it.

I am going to seriously re-evaluate my game choices... this piece of shit saved me from dropping another Grant on Pokemon XD.

Though I can give people Jirachi...

/that sounded SO wrong.

Temple of Elemental Evil for PC a couple years back. Great previews, incredible picts... bought fulll price and wandered around 80% empty dungeons for hours on end.

Breath of Fire 3. $40 Bored the HELL out of me from the get-go. I've tried many times over the years to get somewhere in it, but gawd.... so... very... vanilla.

Final Fantasy VIII. $50 I liked it okay when it came out, but gawd has it aged badly. Never finished it when it came out cuz I got stuck due to deleting all but the one save I SHOULD have deleted. Meh worst of the series.

I'd have to say Godzilla: Monsters Melee or whatever it was called.

Say it in a Best Buy ad and was amazed that a Godzilla game was even coming out. I used to watch the movies all the times when I was a bit younger.

Man, that game was totally not worth full price. It was fun, but once you beat it you felt empty.... there wasn't much to do and there was much variety, it got old quick.

Also Eternal Darkness... -puts up flame shield-.... I only bought it for about twenty bucks after hearing about it not being in production anymore or something and I detested it, contrary to it's popularity.

Dragon Ball GT Final Bout. I made a mad dash to find that game when it first came out and was so dissappointed when I played it, I payed $40 for it. Good thing I hung onto it because I sold it for about $150 a couple years later.... SUCKER!

1.)
GC_Universal%20Studios%20Theme%20Park%20Adventure.jpg

- Turok Evolution (GCN)
- State of Emergency (PS2)
- True Crime: Streets of L.A. (Xbox)
- WCW Mayhem & WCW Backstage Assault (N64)
- The World Is Not Enough, 007 (N64)

Ready 2 Rumble for the GBC. The game sucked so bad...especially since I paid $30 for it. I also bought Perfect Dark for the GBC for $30, but that at least had somewhat fun mini-games.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Blast Corps for the N64....I liked it, but so not worth the $40-60 full price back in the day![/quote]

wtf? This game is considered by many a classic.

I think the worst game I bought (somewhat recently) was Pirates of the Caribbean for the Xbox. I read the reviews, read the problems, but heck, your a pirate, it's like Morrowind (a game I loved), how can this be bad? After 3 days of playing, I started playing Morrowind again, at least it was only $20.

For the guy that bought Superman 64 at launch, I might have you beat (or close). I bought Rebel Assault II for the Playstation for the full $50. I actually enjoyed the game, but here's the kicker. It was between Rebel Assault and Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn. I decided I didn't feel like an RPG, I'd get it next month I want a game. Needless to say, I can buy Rebel Assault today for $1 or $2, Panzer, if I wanted it, is far far more.

Edit: Earlier in this thread, there was lots of dissing of State of Emergency. I know it was hyped, but I bought it for $20 and never regretted it. I, to this day, will still pop the game in for friends to let them play Last Clone Standing. Playing 2 minute rounds of blowing away 200 people, it's lots of mindless fun. Is it as good as the GTA's, not even close. But, on it's own, I think it's an ownable game. Plus, all my friends who play enjoy it for what it is. Even non-gamers enjoy it. I think people are way too hard on this game.

Mines would have to be castlevania 64. I enjoyed the game, but I didn't think it warrant the full 60 bucks at the time. I could have waited a year later for castlevania: dark legacy for $40.

Mine was either Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage for the SNES ($60 plus tax, plus shipping) or the fact that I bought a Sega CD to play Ground Zero: Texas, and skipped over Shining Force CD in the interim because, at the time, I thought that RPGs took too long to get through.

Basically, up until the PS1 came out, the only time I ever really got my money's worth was purely by accident, such as settling on Final Fantasy III one Christmas because Animaniacs wasn't available at the local Toys R Us.

Took me a while to think of it, but Yoshi's Story (I repressed memories of that game) I bought at launch ($50-$60). I thought it'd be the sequel to Yoshi's Island, but when I finished in like an hour, I realized how badly I'd been fucked.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Final Fantasy 8 at launch. That game sucked so badly I wanted to cry. To this day I hate like no other game I've played. I've played technically worse games, but FF8 will always hold the most of my hatred.[/quote]

I totally agree. I bought this along with a Dreamcast and about 4 Dreamcast games. Should have spent that money on another Dreamcast game instead. I liked 7, loved the SNES Final Fantasy games, so this one surprised me by being a piece of crap.

After almost thirty years of buying games it's hard to even remember the few I paid full price for. Out of more than 2000 games fewer than three dozen were full price purchases and most of those were games to go with a launch of a new console. So those were usually pretty good, like Mario 64.

I've knowingly bought some bad games but only for extremely low prices because I wanted to appreciate the awfulness firsthand.

I have to go way back to remember a game that was so bad I went back for a refund. This was a cassette for the Atari 800, probably in 1981. The game was Rear Guard by Adventure International. The company had the bad habit of using the same title for vaguely similar games across many different platforms. So while Sea Dragon (by Russ Wetmore) for the Atari 800 was an excellent Scramble variant and fairly good albeit different game on the Apple II, on the TRS-80 it was garbage.

Rear Guard was a kind of Defender-like scrolling shooter, at least on the Apple II. The Atari 800 version was horribly inferior. Written in BASIC and like most BASIC programs it would only have been of interest if it appeared in a magazine and you could type it in for yourself. I don't remember the price, probably around $18 but compared to buying a $3.00 magazine and investing my own time it was an immense ripoff.

I remember getting Cruisin' World (N64) for my birthday one year. I was so excited to play it. I remember waking up extra early to play it, and when I did I actually started crying because I felt like I just wasted my mom's money (and I knew how strapped for cash she was at the time, too).

I paid $50 for Enter the Matrix (GCN). It was a decent game, but definitely not worth $50.

I dont think I ever bought a game that I knew would suck.. I bought War Gods for N64 before reading any kind of reviews or input of any kind (54.99+tax) and boy was that a learning experience.. from then on I wait and read reviews first before buying any game.

bread's done
Back