What was your first car?

chickenbutt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Just wondering what everyone's first car was, how much it was, and how long ago was it. May be getting my first car in a few months, so I was curious :)

95 monte carlo ls, 9 years ago.
When I first got the car it had 50k miles on it. After the gasket on the intake manifold failed for a second time I decided fixing this shit again wasn't worth it and picked up a 03 Cavalier w/ 55k miles. The ecotec hasn't failed me so far.

95 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34. Got it free from my mom in 2007 since it was already paid off and she ended up getting a Chevy Tracker. Not sure on the mileage (somewhere between 75-100k iirc), but it's been high maintenance. Replaced the tires twice, brake pads, rotors, battery, alternator, and now it needs a new shock or two plus it has an oil leak. And this isn't counting the fact the AC compressor has been out in that car ever since I started driving it. I still drive it for now, but not for much longer. Buying a 99 Ford Explorer from a guy I know for $800 (getting at a discount, anybody else it would be $1200). Not a fan of the fact it's an SUV (sucks up gas), but since him and his son work on cars, I have faith it'll run well which is important for me considering my piece of shit chevy.

'99 Ford Explorer. Hand me down from my mom, got it in late 2000. Forgot how many miles it had at the time. I didn't drive it long as this was right about the time of the bridgestone tire thing. Got my dad's 2000 maxima after that, which I still drive - only 95k miles now.

1984 Pontiac Firebird with 72k miles back in 1994.
Loved the style of the car but sold it a year later to get a red 1986 Cavalier convertible. Girls loved it but the Cavalier was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It broke down on average every 6 months. :bomb:

'88 5.0 GT. Big fucking mistake, car was in the body shop or at the mechanic every month. Man that car was fun!! 74k miles paid $3.5k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought my first car a month ago its an audi 1998 a4 turbo. Its pretty nice for a my first car I love it. It has 125,000 miles I believe.

1984 Ford Tempo. I bought off of a retired cop in 1999 - I was 17. For being 15 years old at the time, it had crazy low miles on it (I think it was at about 75K or so). I drove it for about a year until I got rearended by a Tahoe in whiteout snow. Wasn't worth fixing afterwards.

1997 chrysler cirrus this was in 2005 given by my mom, then leased a 08' honda civic in 2008, now leasing a 2010 Accord 2 dr.

My first car was a 1983 Ford LTD. It was a hand-me-down from my parents in 1993. Lasted me until I went away to college in 1996.

[quote name='Limegreen']1997 chrysler cirrus this was in 2005 given by my mom, then leased a 08' honda civic in 2008, now leasing a 2010 Accord 2 dr.[/QUOTE]

What's the advantage to leasing? So you can get a new car every few years? I figure if I'm paying that much money, I'd rather own it and eventually be able to pay it off. My Dad always says that the only people who lease have a business where they can write it off.

1980 Pontiac Sunbird (back then they shared a body with the Chevy Monza). The doors were black, the rest orange. The floors had rusted through and it leaked oil. Paid $200 for it. Named it Fred.

I loved that car. :)

1992 Dodge Spirit V6 - 140,000 miles - $100 - 9 Years Ago

Piece of crap car that, near the end of it's life, I ended up having re-wire the radio, radiator fan, and headlights to dash mounted switches. I made that car hold on way too long.

1986 Monte Carlo for free from the brother of my sister's former best friend. I only got to drive it a few times before I had to junk it because the frame was completely rusted out. Oh well. So long as the ride doesn't look like complete ass and will get me from point A to B I'll drive it. All I need is my iPod and a decent set of speakers to be thoroughly content.

Buick Skylark 1971. I loved that car and so did the chicks. A girl I knew in college confessed to me a few years ago that she had a crush on me just because I had a cool car. I regret selling it for so cheap. It just had so many problems I wanted it off my hands. If I ever win a big sum of money I'm buying another one.

3CE46126-2612-4344-B320-846A4132E571_1.jpg

This isn' it but it looked just like it. I even loved the color.

My first car was a 1985 Chrysler Laser. I bought it about 15 years ago for around $2,000. It only had about 40,000 miles on it. Ran pretty well until it was totaled in an accident 3 years later.

A 1994 Ford Mustang. (that I got in 1996) It was a blue hatchback. It had bout 40,000 miles on it. Ran good but didn't have air. My dad got rid of it in 1998 when he got mad at me.

'89 CRX Si - Got it in 2000 with only 77k miles. I really wish I hadn't wrecked it :( Finding clean CRX's is a fucking nightmare.

[quote name='Halo05']'89 CRX Si - Got it in 2000 with only 77k miles. I really wish I hadn't wrecked it :( Finding clean CRX's is a fucking nightmare.[/QUOTE]

must be because of drivers like us...seeing as there are two ex-owners and two totaled cars in this thread lol

1985 GMC Jimmy for $500, purchased three weeks after I scoffed at the notion of buying a car for $500 when I withdrew $500 from my bank account to go buy a guitar... Being 17 was fun.

[quote name='2DMention']What's the advantage to leasing? So you can get a new car every few years? I figure if I'm paying that much money, I'd rather own it and eventually be able to pay it off. My Dad always says that the only people who lease have a business where they can write it off.[/QUOTE]
I've never done it, but everything I've heard and read about leasing indicates that it's entirely dependent on the type of car you're leasing. For someone who wants to drive something new every few years and avoid many of the repair hassles that come with purchasing a used car, it seems like a good idea. For cars that depreciate in value quickly, it's just not financially responsible to purchase something that doesn't hold much resale value when you inevitably need another vehicle.

Leasing can also be a sort of career investment.

I had a friend whose parents ran some kind of consulting firm and were eternally entertaining clients/picking people up from airports and in order to appear successful (not that they weren't successful people), they leased a new car every 2-3 years. I assume they figured that the extra money that they would earn by appearing successful and thus attracting more customers would outweigh the money saved by driving around in a beater.

Dad wants me to drive his '03 Mercedes Benz ML320, but I'm scared I might wreck it =/
Hopefully I can convince him to let me get a car instead. Anyone know if that Toyota AE86 GTS car is expensive?

1985 Honda Prelude, cherry red five-speed with chrome accents and chrome luggage rack. Clutches need to make a comeback. Luggage racks need to make a comeback. Hell, so do preludes.

Bought for $1750 cash in 1996 right before undergrad. 153K on the odo.

1989 Buick LeSabre Limited! I was 17 at the time and bought it with the money i saved from my summer job. This was in 2001... Car lasted only about 1.5 yrs before I got rid of it.... Great first car... great experience.

[quote name='2DMention']My first car was a 1983 Ford LTD. It was a hand-me-down from my parents in 1993. Lasted me until I went away to college in 1996.

What's the advantage to leasing? So you can get a new car every few years? I figure if I'm paying that much money, I'd rather own it and eventually be able to pay it off. My Dad always says that the only people who lease have a business where they can write it off.[/QUOTE]

By leasing I pay less per month for 2 or 3 years during this time I did not have to replace battery, tires, break pads, hoses, i have had warranty all this time just in case then I'm free To move on while purchasing you pay more per month for 6 or 7 years and you end up with a clunker which whatever is worth at that point has been offset by mechanic bills.

This is only true when leasing vs buying new, in my opinion moneywise nothing beats getting a good used car at the right price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lease if you like Acuras and drive less than 12K miles a year. Why buy a car that you can sell for more than you owe when the lease is up? We buy the car and sell for profit @ lease end or let the dealer credit the value over the residual towards another Acura. Its like flipping real estate only better. Research the top ten cars that retain values and take your pick from the top five.

Don't lease (can you even lease a GM nowadays?) anything American or prone to quality issues. I also wouldn't lease a 4X4 or any kind of lux SUV unless I was bleeding and pooping dollar bills. All a lease is a time lapsed equation. I can't really call it an investment, although the right car can build "equity" provided the quality is good, production is low, and it finds a niche in the marketplace. EDMUNDS.COM is a great place to research leasing. If you aren't an informed buyer, you don't need to be in the market.

CHEAPASS is a way of life. Games are just the tip of the iceberg...

My current car. 2001 Nissan Maxima. My mom gave it to me for my 16th birthday (4 years ago) and she got a newer car. Currently has ~109900 miles. I'm excited for 101010 miles.

1988 Buick Century my grandma gifted to me in 1999 with 23k on it. The thing was a tank and comfortable as hell for my tall ass with the bench seat. Probably would have held on to it longer but someone backed into the drivers door and my parents wouldn't let me follow up and get it fixed... it set off a rusting process that eventually made the door and window stop opening. I had it for 2.5 years. My next car was a 2002 Eclipse I had for 9 years until this summer when I got my 05 WRX.

1985 Nissan 300ZX. I bought it for $2000 in 1995. It was in excellent condition and had low mileage but the engine caught on fire due to a defect in the fuel injectors. Nissan offered me $400 in compensation.

bread's done
Back