What worthless items always seem to show up at places you go to?

A

Apossum

I'm talking about pawn shops, goodwill, garage sales, everything. These are the games or accessories that you see and think god is mocking your search for halfway decent game stuff.

for me, I always find:

--old old old PC flight sticks
--3rd party PS2 controllers
--let's not forget this wonderful scenario-- from a few feet away, you see a box full games for any particular system. You think to yourself, there have GOT to be some good games in there and you are so glad you're the first one to find it. You get to the box and start rummaging only to find-- THEY'RE ALL SPORTS GAMES!! ACHT!!!

When I'm President, my first act will be to force new legislation through both Houses:

No person is allowed to purchase any current Madden, 2k, or other Sports game without first surrendering and destroying one sports game from the prior generation.

- Joysticks, but no games or system. Just a lone joystick.
- Old-school PC games. Stacks and stacks and stacks
- Printers & Scanners (at least 1 for every 3 garage sales)
- Pokemon Cards (but no games)
- Overly optimistic pricing (Last week a PS2 + 3 sports games for $150 at one sale...then at another sale had many common games priced well above GS/EB prices - Smash Bros Melee was $27!)
- Pawn shops looking things up on Ebay
- Memory cards (especially PS1)
- Virtua Tennis (DC)

All I see is Turok. Turok everywhere. I seriously can't even remember seeing a store without Turok... it's just assumed at this point that Turok is omnipresent. Turok is watching all of us.

- And Electronic self-contained games (Like the "Tiger" games)

Me at garage sale: "Do you have any video games?"
Seller: "Oh yes! We have tons. Look on this table!"
Me looking at table: "All I see here are electronic games and Dora the Explorer CD's - is this them?"
Seller: "Yes, those are video games, right?"

Six posts in and no mention of the ubiquitous Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt carts? I swear, I could have built a house many times over using these carts for bricks, except that at $5 - $25 (because it's a "collectable!") it would have cost me more than my current abode.

Yard Sales - Sega games, and not the good ones, most with partial labels

Stores - 3rd party PS2 controllers, PS1 greatest hit games, random 3 year old sport games ex- NHL 2003, Madden 2003

What I would like to see are more prices falling on the older games.

Kid's CD-ROM games.... everywhere. On tables, in boxes, on CD racks, exacerbating my game hunting pain by poking me in open wounds...

Sports games, everywhere: in the PS2, XB, GC, and PS1 areas! They've like taken over everything!!!

3rd party controllers; most aren't even brands I've heard of like "madcatz" or "pelican". I wonder where people find these weird branded 3rd party controllers...

I gave up on yard sales around here; sometimes the games look so nasty that I wouldn't even want to touch them and other times, they'd be asking $200 for a PS2.

[quote name='Fanboy']Six posts in and no mention of the ubiquitous Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt carts? I swear, I could have built a house many times over using these carts for bricks, except that at $5 - $25 (because it's a "collectable!") it would have cost me more than my current abode.[/quote]

I once had about 15 of those. My wife got mad at me and asked why I needed so many of those. Since I didn't have a valid argument other than they were "collectable", they had to go. So, I'm down to like 3 now. I can't seem to kick the habbit.

Sports games. Everywhere. Why do people think Madden 2001 is worth $20? The answer is always 'they go for like $40 on ebay!'.

Starsky and Hutch...you foul demon, you hunt me at any store that sells used games. And to make it worst, you show up new at stores at times, making me curse myself as I laid my eye on it horrible coverart!

[quote name='Kayden']The single most worthless thing I always come across?

People. The fucking things are everywhere.[/QUOTE]

little kids too. one tried to sell me some lemonade yesterday, I CIFed her $.05, then kicked over her magazine rack.

[quote name='Kayden']The single most worthless thing I always come across?

People. The fucking things are everywhere.[/quote]

Damn it! You beat me to it!

damn annoying i keep seeing these old people sell their sealed "Kizuna Encounter" for neo geo

WTF I WILL NOT PAY $3 FOR A NEO GEO GAME

Games:

Atari 2600: Pac-Man
NES: SMB/Duck Hunt, various Golf games
Genesis: Various EA sports games
SNES: Super Play Action Football
N64: Various wresting games, Turok, Turok 2
PlayStation: Lots of sports games and crappy budget titles that were released in the last years of the system's life
PS2: Powerdrome, Fantavision, Turok Evolution, Future Tactics, BMX XXX, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Dead To Rights, Starsky & Hutch, Ford Racing 2, Corvette, Super Trucks Racing.
Gamecube: Dead To Rights, Future Tactics, Starsky & Hutch, the All Star Baseball games, BMX XXX, Turok Evolution
Game Boy: Tennis, Heineky Alien (sp?)
Game Boy Color: Various licensed crap
Game Boy Advance: Quad Desert Fury, Cartoon Network Speedway, various Yu-Gi-Oh games
DS: Sprung, Madden 2005, Tiger Woods 2005

Other:

Genesis model 2 consoles, usually with no hookups
N64 consoles with no hookups
Third party PSX Dream Gear controllers. I remember when every local Dollar Tree had a bunch of these, and now I see them collecting dust at thrifts, GameStops, and GameCrazies, all priced higher than they were when they were new. :lol:
Old PC arcade and flight sticks

Also, 99% of the time I visit a thrift, I always see at least one thing for the Genesis, whether it be one of those loose model 2 units, overpriced sports games, or a controller of some sort.

I always see about 2-3 printers at a given garage sale, and all of them have the ink carts ripped from them. People want like $20-30 each for them, with no ink carts, no cords, and they are also the old kind, those huge tanks for the early to mid 90s.

Nothing but old PC flight sim games and kiddie games, like "where in the hell is carmen san deigo" or whatever her name was.

In order to get to the table of "neat stuff" you have to walk around piles and piles of baby clothes, and around the wall of strollers, rusty lawnmowers, weedwackers.

Then there is that manditory giant table blocking the front of the garage they force you to walk by, mixed with arts and craft, flower basket junk, and the WTF are these widgets, but i think its broken or rusted shut.

I always seem to see old computer keyboards and grey pc moniters so much that I picked up some hoping to find a decent cheap tower at local thrift stores, but only to find them with the old style big floppy drives and empty slots where people yanked the updated parts.

bread's done
Back