Whats a good DS lite Carrying Case

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I just use the soft case that came in my PSP value package.[/quote]

Thanks for the idea becase I was going to buy the Mario Pouch which is basically the same thing. Also it was collecting dust since I got the logitech case when it first came out and I will wait for a similar case for the DS Lite.

Well my friend and I just got our pouches in the mail today, and I got to admit that they are pretty awesome!

I chose to get a White-Gray Multi Pouch (he got the compact one; hopefully he'll post his impressions on that), and I've got to say it was exactly what I was looking for. I was expecting it to be big and bulky, but it was actually smaller. I guess those online pictures make it look bigger than usual. Anyway, the case is split into two pockets: one side completely devoted to the Lite, and the other for the accessories. The Lite fits perfectly snug in the pocket, and the flap covers the exposed area of the side of the Lite; preventing it from falling out and stuff like that. The other pocket is intended for accessories (which actually has two separate sides). One side contains the following: 1 pocket for an extra stylus, 2 DS game slots (which can hold 2 each, for a total of 4 DS games altogether). The opposite side has a net pocket, where you can place various things (even the DS Lite charger; though I think you can probably fit a lot more DS games if you chose not to place the charger there). I chose to put the charger in the net pocket, since the main reason I chose this was to have my charger with me wherever I went. At first I thought it wouldn't fit, but if you use a twisty tie to roll up the excess cord (like how it was tied when you opened your DS Lite box) it fits perfectly; just make sure the adapter goes at the bottom of the net pocket with the cord following it.

It also has a strap that will wrap around the shoulder of your backpack straps, as well as a metal clip to help it cling onto things. It has enough cushion as to protect your handheld and accessories. Overall, I think it's the best pouch out right now (although some would disagree). But for me, as long as it could hold the charger and a couple games, it does the job. It doesn't hurt to look sexy as well:D!

As for the Compact Pouch, I didn't get to take a good look at it, but it definately fits in your pocket pants; front or back (unless you wear tight jeans or something). It looks sort of bulky in your pocket, but not as bulky as it would if you had a PSP in there. The plus side about it is that you can play while it's still inside the pouch, however you cannot hit the shoulder buttons (which is the downside to it). But if you have little kids around, it'll protect your Lite from your kids' CRAYON STYLUS:hot:. I think it had 1 GBA pocket and 2 DS pockets. The DS pockets were about the same size of the Multi Pouch, so I'm guessing it could fit four as well (not totally sure). But overall, it looks just as sexy, and it fits in your pockets (though I think using the Mario Bundle Sleeve kit, where you get free at CC, would be a better choice for an in-your-pants pouch. The major downside for me was that it won't hold the charger, so I didn't pick it up.

These are just my two cents, hope it helps anyone that's still looking for one.

EDIT: There is a much better review for the Hori Compact Pouch found here. I will also try to get pictures up when I get back home, or maybe make its own thread and expand on this.

EDIT: Alright, pictures and extended review up (just scroll down; hopefully the pictures work; if not let me know: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97295

Thanks for the review! Question: In preparation for the imminent arrival of my multi, I bought these plastic game cases the other day, and was wondering if you think they'd fit in the netting along with the recharger:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ALS-Nintendo-DS-Game-Cases-NDS111-/sem/rpsm/oid/147833/catOid/-13861/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I wish I could bring myself to put the games in the pockets without the plastic cases, but I'd like some better protection for them, and haven't been able to find plastic cases that hold only one game (they had some on Playasia.com, but were out of stock/discontinued).

-HM

Great reviews Ma12kez. Looks like either pouch had it's pros/cons but seems like you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks for the impressions! :D

I purchased a black multi-pouch for heavy travel and a mario sleeve (dark blue) for light travel.

[quote name='Hollow Man']Thanks for the review! Question: In preparation for the imminent arrival of my multi, I bought these plastic game cases the other day, and was wondering if you think they'd fit in the netting along with the recharger:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ALS-Nintendo-DS-Game-Cases-NDS111-/sem/rpsm/oid/147833/catOid/-13861/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I wish I could bring myself to put the games in the pockets without the plastic cases, but I'd like some better protection for them, and haven't been able to find plastic cases that hold only one game (they had some on Playasia.com, but were out of stock/discontinued).

-HM[/quote]
To be honest, I'm not quite sure. It looks like you could force it in, but I wouldn't advise that. But I think you can put those plastic cases on the outside part of the net pocket (in between the ds game pockets and the net pocket). I don't know the exact size of those cases, so you'd have to test it on your own; but good luck with that. Let me know if that works, I'd be interested in picking those up if it does.

The pockets are fine though. I can see why you're paranoid, but the pockets don't expose anything.

[quote name='Sway']Great reviews Ma12kez. Looks like either pouch had it's pros/cons but seems like you can't go wrong either way.[/quote]

Thank Sway. I knew a lot of people were still debating what to get, so I thought I could help out. Yeah each had their cons, but the only cons (for me) for the Multi-Pouch were that it did not have a GBA game slot pocket and it couldn't fit in your pants pocket. The cons for the Compact Pouch (for me) were that you couldn't use the shoulder buttons while playing it in the case and it didn't hold the charger.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Thanks for the impressions! :D

I purchased a black multi-pouch for heavy travel and a mario sleeve (dark blue) for light travel.[/quote]
I did the same exact thing, but I got a White-Gray Multi-Pouch and a red Mario sleeve.

Ok something i just noticed that really bothers me. I think the blue from the blue sleeve is rubbing off onto my ds lite (i see blue residue on the to rubber feet). I'm going back to EB to exchange it for the white one... :cry:

I got the HORI multipouch and i dont like it. The case closes with a velcro. that means loud noise whenever you try to take your DS lite out. Not good when i'm trying to sneak a quick game during office hours. Anyways, the case itself feels bulky which defeats the whole "ds lite" idea. I should've just picked up the cheaper HORI case.

[quote name='Darwin23']I got the HORI multipouch and i dont like it. The case closes with a velcro. that means loud noise whenever you try to take your DS lite out. Not good when i'm trying to sneak a quick game during office hours. Anyways, the case itself feels bulky which defeats the whole "ds lite" idea. I should've just picked up the cheaper HORI case.[/quote]

I guess it depends on your needs. I can see your point, and if I thought about it, it would've made my decision tougher.

My current rationalization is that I see this case as something where I personally accept the bulk because I won't actually be carrying the Lite around on my person that often (like my PDA or cell phone). The multi is a case similar to my laptop one, my digicam, or for my small form factor PC - a case that allows me to take the Lite and its important accessories with me.

It's a nuisance when I go on a trip somewhere to pack the charger for my PDA and cell phone separately, but it's the price I pay so that those devices take up less room in my pants or jacket pockets.

-HM

I haven't seen it discussed yet but I picked up the ASL DS Lite case at CC yesterday. It's similar to the E3 one that Nintendo gave out except this one has that molded piece of plastic inside so you can theoretically play the system in the case. One huge problem though is that you can't take out the stylus when you have the DSL in the case, thereby rendering it almost useless. Otherwise, the case looks great and I like the material. But, it's going back since I can't stand that plastic piece inside. I'm purchasing a Hori compact pouch instead.

Looks like the Hori white compact case got really popular suddenly. It's sold out on both lik-sang.com and play-asia.com. I know it was available on both sites just before the Lite came out on Sunday.

Sigh I should have ordered a couple days ago...the Black Multi-pouch is now "1-2 weeks" on play-asia...I would get it elsewhere, but they have the best deal on lite screen protectors and their shipping is the most reasonable too.

Now I just have to hope it doesn't take longer than a week for them to get more, because then I'll have to wait a long time before I get the screen protectors, and thus, a long time before I get my lite :(

This guy reviewed the multi, and I'm curious what Ma12kez thinks:

http://www.super-nes.com/2006/05/review-hori-ds-lite-multi-pouch-case.html

My guess is where the guy is going wrong is not trying to be neat enough with regards to how to bundle up the wire that's attached to the charger.

It's pretty clear from the photos that the plastic game cases I bought won't stick in the mesh pocket along with the charger, so I'll probably just sit them just outside it, as recommended by Ma12kez.

-HM

anyone wanna buy my light blue Hori multipouch? i'll sell it for 11 bucks shipped. only been used for two days. I'm switching to the compact pouch.

sold

69_1.JPG

i use this one, its for the ds fat, it holds plenty of games and there is a strap for a gba sp that holds my lite very tight. i dont think ill get a new one because my old one works fine, and now it even matches.

[quote name='Darwin23']anyone wanna buy my light blue Hori multipouch? i'll sell it for 11 bucks shipped. only been used for two days. I'm switching to the compact pouch.[/QUOTE]

Man, I would if it wasn't light blue. Hope someone takes that case off you. Good deal.

Thanks for the multipouch review Ma12kez. I don't mind the velcro but the price plus shipping is a bit steep. I think I can hold out for now.

[quote name='Hollow Man']This guy reviewed the multi, and I'm curious what Ma12kez thinks:

http://www.super-nes.com/2006/05/review-hori-ds-lite-multi-pouch-case.html

My guess is where the guy is going wrong is not trying to be neat enough with regards to how to bundle up the wire that's attached to the charger.

It's pretty clear from the photos that the plastic game cases I bought won't stick in the mesh pocket along with the charger, so I'll probably just sit them just outside it, as recommended by Ma12kez.

-HM[/quote]

The guy that wrote this review seemed to have wrapped the cord around the charger itself (making it obviously wider, and thus preventing the zipper to close easily). As long as you're neat and patient when placing your charger in that net pocket, the pouch won't look like it's going to explode:hot: (or at least mine doesn't; but I'm not denying that it does stick out).

Anyway, I guess it really depends on what your needs are.

I generally hate 3rd party accessories but with the lack of a Nintendo Lite case in my area I picked up the Pelican Play Pack with a case, seperate game case, car charger, screen protector(I won't be using.), cleaning cloth & extra Stylus. The model# is PL-7371.

After some modifications the case works great. I cut the plastic clip off the back of the case and afterdoing so the seperate game case attatches perfectly to what I guess would be straps to attatch the case to a belt ot something. The case is a soft neoprene with 2 thin plastic sheets sewn inside that keep the case rigid and protect the Lite. I'm pretty well pleased and I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to accessories. Oh and the white case is way hotter than the black shown in all the pics I can find. The white is a brilliant arctic white and the game case matches perfectly.. The case will not hold any other accessories. You could possibley slip a game or 2 in the front pocket but you could be hard pressed to get them out. Just FYI. The secondary seperate game case holds 3 DS games and 2 GBA games and is pretty cool. It's like a little cigarette case for games and an extra stylus.

PC.PEL.PL7371.CN.JPG

Definately recommended for the $15 paid at CC.
-G

[quote name='Ma12kez']As long as you're neat and patient when placing your charger in that net pocket, the pouch won't look like it's going to explode.[/quote]

Fortunately I'm a rather anal individual by nature when it comes to things like this. I've even kept the twist tie that came with the charger!

Shockingly, in his second picture, it doesn't look like the multi is that much thicker than the compact. Although I imagine it will get puffier once you put the charger in.

Ah well, I'll know soon enough. Just knowing you think it's cool helps!

-HM

Hey Ma12kez,
Thanks for the awesome review. I ordered a multipouch too, since I'm not particularly concerned about size and wanted a little extra storage space. I'm hoping I can fit a bunch of GBA carts in that webbed part. Does that seem feasible?

[quote name='Darwin23']anyone wanna buy my light blue Hori multipouch? i'll sell it for 11 bucks shipped. only been used for two days. I'm switching to the compact pouch.[/quote]
Sending a PM now, I want it for $11 if you still want to sell it...... I'm secure in my sexuality and kinda like the lite blue/pearl white DS Lite combo. :D

I'll be using mainly the Mario bundle sleeve as protection when I wanna slide just the system in my pocket and go (most of the time) but this would be nice to have for if I ever need to carry everything.

EDIT: :cry: Which one of you assholes bought my case from Darwin?? ;)

[quote name='ma']Hey Ma12kez,
Thanks for the awesome review. I ordered a multipouch too, since I'm not particularly concerned about size and wanted a little extra storage space. I'm hoping I can fit a bunch of GBA carts in that webbed part. Does that seem feasible?[/quote]
No problem. As for putting the GBA carts in the webbed part: I think you could actually fit a good amount of gba and ds carts in there. Okay, now that I think about it, you COULD actually fit a grip of either if you stack them the right way. I couldn't tell you how many you could put since I only have 4 DS games, and a couple GBA games. But yeah it seems very feasible from what I've seen.

[quote name='rarebucky']I haven't seen it discussed yet but I picked up the ASL DS Lite case at CC yesterday. It's similar to the E3 one that Nintendo gave out except this one has that molded piece of plastic inside so you can theoretically play the system in the case. One huge problem though is that you can't take out the stylus when you have the DSL in the case, thereby rendering it almost useless. Otherwise, the case looks great and I like the material. But, it's going back since I can't stand that plastic piece inside. I'm purchasing a Hori compact pouch instead.[/QUOTE]

Mine is going back for the same reason. The plastic insert stinks. None of the cutouts are even close to where they belong. Did they even try it with a real DS Lite? I may get the silicone cover at Lik-Sang.

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo']Mine is going back for the same reason. The plastic insert stinks. None of the cutouts are even close to where they belong. Did they even try it with a real DS Lite? I may get the silicone cover at Lik-Sang.

RC[/quote]

The only difference between the E3 one and that one (besides the insert is a rubber Nintendo DS logo sewn onto the cover. I hardly use the elastic straps on my Lite anyway, I think you should take a little x-acto knife and cut the plastic insert out. If you don't unzip it all the way so fast, it won't fall out so easy. Its still the best case on the market regardless. Nice balance of padding and durability. and the covering is not prone to getting dirty as easily.
Even white.

DSCN2307-1.jpg

DSCN2308.jpg

Hi,

If only I had read Darwin's post earlier, I want to go from the compact pouch to the Multi (and it's light blue too!) oh well...If anyone out there wants to buy my pouch at like 11 shipped, send me a PM or something. Thanks.

Question: Are there any cases that snugly fit a DS Lite WITH a GBA cart sticking out of it? Because as much as I respect Nintendo for giving us a filler cart, and as sexy as the DSL looks with it in there, I pretty much always keep a GBA game in my DS at all times. I think it would be sort of a pain in the ass to have to switch my GBA game with the filler cart everytime I want to take my system out to play it then put it back.

I'm leaning toward the Hori compact pouch. It looks just loose enough that it just might work. Anyone have any light to shed on this? Thanks.

I did see the Intec case in Toys R Us yesterday for $10. Looks nice. I'm personally interested in something with a soft exterior, but if you want a little more protection, the Intec is probably a very good option.

-HM

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Question: Are there any cases that snugly fit a DS Lite WITH a GBA cart sticking out of it? Because as much as I respect Nintendo for giving us a filler cart, and as sexy as the DSL looks with it in there, I pretty much always keep a GBA game in my DS at all times. I think it would be sort of a pain in the ass to have to switch my GBA game with the filler cart everytime I want to take my system out to play it then put it back.

I'm leaning toward the Hori compact pouch. It looks just loose enough that it just might work. Anyone have any light to shed on this? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it fits perfectly fine. Infact, you can barely even see a bulge or anything. I probably should've included that note in the review with a pic or two. Maybe later.

3260_m.jpg

Not sure if anyone else has it, but I have this original DS nylon/velco pouch I got at Target about a year ago. For the size, it can fit a lot, 6 games in plastic slots in the case, plus, using those hard plastic 3-cart cases from CC, 2 of those, plus 3 GBA games, plus the games in the system. All told, 13 DS games and 4 GBA games. Not bad for a little pouch. The smaller size of the Lite lets me cram in more stuff into the front mesh area.

I have a blue Multi. Currently it's holding seven DS games (2 in each of the fabric pouches, 2 in the mesh, one in the system), 2 GBA games (both in the mesh pouch) and an extra stylus. And yes, the system still fits inside with a GBA game sticking out of it. It's snug, but not troublingly so.

I initially thought the carabiner was a really stupid idea... and then I found myself attaching it to my belt my second day of owning it. My only complaint is that the velcro flaps (meant for securing it to a backpack strap, I guess) didn't need to be so thick. A great case overall.

I just bought the DS Lite Multi Pouch from Play-Asia. It's supposedly really good. I bought the black one just yesterday right before it went to 'backorder'. I think the white is still avaliable. All the other colors pretty much suck.

I have a PDAir case for my 5G Ipod Video 60GB and I like it. I have a case that I got when I imported my DS that is ok... it is not too bulky but not really cool looking. It is white leather with like a metal circle. Looks too fashiony for a DS. I looked at both DS Lite cases from PDAir and both look cool, but I want to know if anyone go them. With shipping, prob be over $30 for a case which is pretty expensive. Don't know which would be better, the leather or metal?

Ordered an AirForm case off Ebay. Haven't seen any pictures in the short time I've lurked, but if it turns out ok, I'll try posting some pictures.

I"m surprised no one mentioned this case http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802348

I got one of these for 10 at gamestop localy in black since my blue one was messed up from purchase. Basically the back zipper part has a net meshing to hold charger or styls. Slots to hold advanced games,rumble pack etc in the same pouch. It also has a velcro net pouch on the inside to store more games in I normally put my DS lite games in it and a sleeve to hold the DS Light itself. It also has a clip to put it on the belt and a small dongle that holds a micro cloth for cleaning the screen so you don't have to worry about carrying one with you. Overall a very sleek attractive package with only two minus's that I can see. Once even though theres a hole to slide the stylus into the DS lite built into its holder its impossible to get a hold up without sliding the system out which means putting it someplace else so the hole has no point. The second is no way to get to the charger plug without leaving the case flipped open which really isnt that big of a deal but it does detract somewhat from the case. Overall a great deal for 10 bucks.

Radioshack had this case for clearance at $3 so YMMV
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123327&cp=2032062&pg=1&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032062&y=4&categoryId=2032062&x=14&kw=nintendo+ds&kwCatId=2032062&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search

I bought a $3 dollar clearance case that is exactly the same as the one at EB/GR has except that it has a ESL logo on the outside. At first glance this case is airform case with a stiff middle flap with 3 DS cart slots and 2 GBA cart slots and a large elastic lined mesh pit for your DS. The inside is lined with a thin black felt. It also comes with a carbriner loop and a velcro band on the back. The outer material is pretty sturdy

From this point my local seamstress (aka my mom) sewed in a external handle, an internal pocket for a wipe clothe, and a elastic band for holding my ds on the opposing side. By doing this I managed to get my adapter, 3 GBA games (in the mesh pocket), 3 DS games (in the middle insert), a cleaning clothe and my DS Lite into the case. Even without the mods this case was worth getting.

Here's a good one for just carrying the games:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Accessories/memory_card_wallets/DMC-Z.aspx

What I do is keep my DSLite in the Nintendo sleeve/sock deal that they were including with purchase at Circuit City during the first week. I use the Lowepro memory card wallet to tote a few games around with me.

It holds 6 but there's a side pocket that may get you up to 8. Putting those extra 2 games in there may be too much though for thickness.

You can find them at Best Buy in the camera section.

Brad

After a couple weeks of use, I couldn't be happier with the multi-pouch. It nicely fits two ALS 3-game hard cases, so I have 7 games (including the one in the system) 100% safely protected, not to mention the system itself is quite safe.

You can feel the quality when you hold it in your hands.

I second that. I've always felt that the Nintendo cases they sell here in the USA are lousy. Short of going out and buying a decent camera case that will fit the Lite, the multi-pouch seems to be the best thing out there to perfectly fit your Lite, some games, various small accessories, and even the charger if you tuck the wire in neatly.

So if you want a case that holds the Lite and its vital accessories, and are willing to order on the web, give it a good look.

-HM

bread's done
Back