What's a good first car?

N1c0_ds

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
In about a year I will have my real driving license* and I will be ready to buy myself a ride.

I have been promised my father's Mazda Protégé for a low price, but I don't rely entirely on that. I don't know much about cars and their reputation (except hereditary hate for VW and Volvo) so I'd like to ask fellow CAGs advice.

My budget is around 3000$ (plus 2000$ left for insurances, tires...) and I'd like something reliable and possibly good looking that won't burn gas like there's no tomorrow.

So tell me, CAGs, what's a good first car for me?

My Chevy Cavalier that I'm selling in my TL is an excellent first car.

Hondas and Toyotas even if they have over 100 miles are still good cars.

my first car was a rusted out 86 Toyota Corolla.

damn it, now I'm missing that car. Especially when I factor in that my second car was a 92 Fiesta. I'm 6'3" so that didn't work though at the end of it's life, I threw in a roll cage and loved rolling that piece of shit

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I only hear good stuff about Toyotas. They are said to be tough as hell, something I believe with all the Tercels and Corollas on the road.

In no particular order....

Mazda 3 (or protoge formerly)
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla (though I never really liked them design wise)
Subaru Impreza

Midsize cars get good gas mileage, are easy to drive yet still have enough room, and there are a ton out there so it's easy to find a good deal on a used one and pretty easy to get deals on new ones if that's your thing (though I wouldn't get a new car for a first car).

My first car was a 85 corolla and tbh it was the worst car i had. while accelerating down my block the throttle got stuck causing the car not to stop. Had to turn off the car and take out the key after it got up to 50mph. I know a lot of people seem to have a perfect track record w/ toyotas but for me it was the worst car I owned.

I would recommend a Civic. they are solid.

I had a 1980 Toyota Corolla(one year younger than I was at the time), stick shift with no power steering. What a first car!

[quote name='cochesecochese']Toyota Corolla. They last forever, get decent gas mileage and are fairly easy to repair.

Stay the hell away from Mitsubishi.[/QUOTE]Mitsubishi is what my Dad got me for my first car actually (a 2003). Well, it's good because it has a large mirror and the car is small (and a bit flat, so it's easy for me to see out the back window), but I'm still having a very hard time learning to drive it. However, it was easier than my Mom's Honda Accord (It was too long and I had issues keeping the steering wheel straight). I dunno if that's the reason I'm still struggling to get my driver's license (since I've been driving a Mitsubishi around for over a year).

I should try my sister's Toyota Corolla and see if it's easier.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Subaru Impreza[/quote]

What?!

Anyway there's no way in hell I'm gonna have a Civic. They sell for way too much here and it's only for douchebags and poor racers (and both). This and a hippy-mobile... no way!

Yeah Toyotas are solid. I've driven Camrys my whole life and they are good solid cars. Gas miledge is not bad either. These days I laugh at laypeople who drive pickups and SUVs, sure you can drive me off the road but who's the one crying at the pump?

[quote name='N1c0_ds']What?!

Anyway there's no way in hell I'm gonna have a Civic. They sell for way too much here and it's only for douchebags and poor racers (and both). This and a hippy-mobile... no way![/QUOTE]

Impreza was my first real car. Just a standard low end model, not a souped up rally car or anything. Had a super crappy Chevette for a while and some old crappy Buick, but got a new 1999 Impreza while in college (gift from my parents). It was a solid car, but unfortunately had transmission problems last fall so I traded it in and got a Mazda 3.

I'd still be driving it otherwise.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Mitsubishi is what my Dad got me for my first car actually (a 2003). Well, it's good because it has a large mirror and the car is small (and a bit flat, so it's easy for me to see out the back window), but I'm still having a very hard time learning to drive it. However, it was easier than my Mom's Honda Accord (It was too long and I had issues keeping the steering wheel straight). I dunno if that's the reason I'm still struggling to get my driver's license (since I've been driving a Mitsubishi around for over a year).[/quote]

Hmmm. What model? How many miles? Standard or automatic?

I've had two Mitsubishis (98 Galant, 00 eclipse) and I absolutely loved driving them but the problem is that over 100K miles they ate parts for breakfast and repairing just about everything was asinine on them. Parts were just wedged into strange/small spaces and ended up taking me far too much time to work on. I loved driving those cars but was less than infatuated with the maintenance.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Hmmm. What model? How many miles? Standard or automatic?

I've had two Mitsubishis (98 Galant, 00 eclipse) and I absolutely loved driving them but the problem is that over 100K miles they ate parts for breakfast and repairing just about everything was asinine on them. Parts were just wedged into strange/small spaces and ended up taking me far too much time to work on. I loved driving those cars but was less than infatuated with the maintenance.[/QUOTE]I just have a Lancer, but it still hasn't even reached 50k miles even. I RARELY drive though (just in the neighborhoods with my parents or nearby streets). I probably spend more time on CAG in one week than driving in the real world. :lol:

So far, the car has been good.

I know many who got a Civic for a first car and my Dad considered getting it for me, but changed his mine after how the Civic was her got for my sister.

What I can say to the OP is stay far away from a Ford car (IMO, too many people I know have issues with them. They are cheap, but have issues).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just have a Lancer, but it still hasn't even reached 50k miles even.[/quote]

Lucky Bastard! That's a fair amount of power for a novice driver to be working with. I don't think it would hurt to attempt learning on your sister's car. Or, you know, you could practice to your heart's content in GT5P where you'd feel pretty comfortable already ;)

You know, I recently went about buying a 2009 Scion tC, I'm in love with the car! Can't hurt to maybe look into finding a good used one. I fill up evry Saturday whether I need to or not and it costs me $40 or less every time. It cam standard with just about everything and more, my brother calls it the Super Car. :)
3 Doors - Back is a Hatch Back

I have some pictures of mine from the when I first bought it 3-4 months ago. Pre limo tint... I live in Arizona, the sun IS the enemy. >.<

It's a cheap vehicle. I bought mine for roughly $20,000 when all was said and done. Threw $8,000 into it, traded in my gas guzzling and falling apart '04 Chevy Silverado. Only owe about $12,000, more then likely get it paid off long before the 5 year mark.

I'm telling you, head to your nearest Toyota dealership and give them a look... two moon roofs! Come on! Who else has that!

Warning! 4 rather huge pictures of the car will pop up once spoiler button is hit.
DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

[quote name='Koggit']You don't deserve a car. :nottalking:[/quote]
My father's a mechanic. I was raised on endless rant about VW always breaking down in all kinds of ways. The new VW are sexy though. Anyway I couldn't get one if I wanted to :D

I probably won't go american, since everyone has trouble with 'em anyway. Toyota and Mazda look like the most promising choice, unless I can find a Suzuki Samurai in excellent shape... oh boy that'd be nice...

Oh, and for the Lancer guy... lucky bastard... they're such beautiful cars too.

My first and current car is a 93 Toyota Corolla. The exterior is crappy (rusting/paint chipping), but the interior looks great and it runs perfectly. Most people agreed that Toyota's last at least around 200,000 miles. Mine is at 160,000 now and I haven't had any major problems so far.

[quote name='SerenityKry']You know, I recently went about buying a 2009 Scion tC, I'm in love with the car! Can't hurt to maybe look into finding a good used one. I fill up evry Saturday whether I need to or not and it costs me $40 or less every time. It cam standard with just about everything and more, my brother calls it the Super Car. :)
3 Doors - Back is a Hatch Back

I have some pictures of mine from the when I first bought it 3-4 months ago. Pre limo tint... I live in Arizona, the sun IS the enemy. >.<

It's a cheap vehicle. I bought mine for roughly $20,000 when all was said and done. Threw $8,000 into it, traded in my gas guzzling and falling apart '04 Chevy Silverado. Only owe about $12,000, more then likely get it paid off long before the 5 year mark.

I'm telling you, head to your nearest Toyota dealership and give them a look... two moon roofs! Come on! Who else has that!

Warning! 4 rather huge pictures of the car will pop up once spoiler button is hit.
DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg
[/quote]

nice car, i was looking into this a few months ago

I would just recommend getting a car that it good for taking a beating. Honda or Toyota.. whatever. The fact is that you're going to beat on your car because you're young and it's just too much fun. Friends will beat on your car because that just happens (food spills, cigarette burns, ect..) and random people will beat on your car because they're assholes (door dings/dents, parking slips, lean on it, ect...)

I had a 88 Buick Century when I was 16 (98) and it was a great first car. Mechanically it was solid, but it was old enough where I didn't have to care about anything bad happening to it. I never cared to wash it since it was gray and it was a tank as far as very minor accidents (door dings, parking next to walls, guard rails, (friend inspired) cart carrels, ect.) Then I bought a 2002 Eclipse brand new in 2001 and no matter how careful I was with it, it just got shit on. Cars are horrible investments, just look for something safe, reliable, and low maintenance. You'll basically be learning on it (6 months w/ a permit really doesn't teach you much) and since you're young you won't want to spend that much time/money on it because you have better things to do.

If you can find an old Dodge or Plymouth neon with not a lot of miles, I would suggest that. My first car was a Plymouth neon, it wasn't anything high performance but on the other hand it was a good car to drive, mechanically solid and got around 25-28 mpg.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah Toyotas are solid. I've driven Camrys my whole life and they are good solid cars. Gas miledge is not bad either. These days I laugh at laypeople who drive pickups and SUVs, sure you can drive me off the road but who's the one crying at the pump?[/quote]

I second the Toyota Camry, and suggest earlier models of the Nissan Maxima.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Toyota Corolla. They last forever, get decent gas mileage and are fairly easy to repair.

Stay the hell away from Mitsubishi.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, what the hell you talking about?My first car was and still is a Mitsubishi Mirage 1995 LS, the car has almost 168,000 miles...And if I had to fix the car it has been for minor stuff, and I have spent less than 3,000 dollars in the car since I bought it...and if I am correct that should be like 2,500 dollars in major repairs....That is of course not counting the tires, and little stuff...
And I am telling u, that car still use it for work....In the other hand, I bought a Chevy Venture 2003, and I have spent a couple of thousands already in the motor, I rather drive my old 1995 mirage, than my relatively new Crappy Venture....

Honda, Toyota, Mazda...and maybe Nissan.

But don't write off Chevy...the 3.8l V6 engines are workhorses.

My first car (back in the late 80's) was a 1981 VW Jetta Diesel 5 spd. 40mpg. No power steering. But it shifted great...I loved driving it. As of about 5 yrs ago, it was still running. My dad sold it to a kid they know for $1...it was going to supposedly fix it up a bit and keep driving it.

My second car was a 1989 Dodge Shadow...which also drove great. Didn't like the way it was torqued as much as the VW, but it did drive really well. Got creamed by a huge hail storm in 1993.

I have a 93 Nissan Altima. Looks halfway decent and gets good gas mileage. About 27 MPG highway with a manual transmission. (BTW: Manual = teh sex) Also, Nissans run nearly forever. And the fact that it's front wheel drive just makes it 10 times better in snow.

My first car was a 1999 Dodge Neon that I got for about $4,000. Still runs pretty well to this day (I still have it and am waiting for a friend to buy it) and lasted me a good six years without any issues.

bread's done
Back