What's a good part time job? (minimal hours, easy work, don't care about wage)

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well, currently I am working a pretty decently paying job for the past year. The hours are decent (20 hours a week, 9am-1pm Mon-Fri), but it can get overwhelming at times being a full time student. With that said, I am looking to leave this job at the end of summer, and hopefully find another job that isn't as work heavy.

I expect this other job will pay less, as I am currently making about $12/hour, but, to be honest, those few dollars don't mean much if I can find something that has about 10-15 hours a week, and is pretty 'easy' as far as work goes.

I'd prefer not to work with customers, and would prefer not to work weekend nights. Any suggestions would be great. I know some jobs that you work as a 'secretary' or something similar, which entails very little, and allows you to surf the internet on your free time. Something like this would be ideal. If there is something that is more than 10-15 hours, but offers a lot of free time for doing school work, etc, then I wouldn't mind that either.

[quote name='dpatel']Customers, and would prefer not to work weekend nights. Any suggestions would be great. I know some jobs that you work as a 'secretary' or something similar, which entails very little, and allows you to surf the internet on your free time. Something like this would be ideal. If there is something that is more than 10-15 hours, but offers a lot of free time for doing school work, etc, then I wouldn't mind that either.[/QUOTE]

Your going to have customers at any job you work. Thats how you get paid, basic economics. Even with non-profit your customers are the people donating money.

Since you don't want to work with customers in any form (direct or indirect). I have no idea what to recommend.

[quote name='Graystone']Your going to have customers at any job you work. Thats how you get paid, basic economics. Even with non-profit your customers are the people donating money.

Since you don't want to work with customers in any form (direct or indirect). I have no idea what to recommend.[/QUOTE]

Well, what I mean is I would prefer to not work directly with customers (already went through hell with my last retail job). And, if there was customer contact, I would want it to be minimal.

[quote name='sying']Be a pimp[/QUOTE]

Pimpin' ain't easy:

What's a good part time job? (minimal hours, easy work, don't care about wage)

[quote name='necrojustice']Try Office Depot, the works easy. (Grins Unconvicingly)[/QUOTE]

good enough for me! Sign me up :D

[quote name='mikej012']Evening security guard.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that. How safe are these kinds of jobs?

I honestly don't think I'd have a good chance though, just because of my height (5'5"). It helps if you are at least somewhat tall.

IMO I'd keep your current job, try working elsewhere and they'll promise you 10-15 hours but quickly start scheduling you for more, for a number of companies it really isn't worth their time to train someone who isn't going to put in 2 full work days a week.

Still if you don't care about crappy wages and are in college try applying to work in the library, computer labs or learning centers, the pay is total shit but the workload is typically light.

[quote name='dpatel']I was thinking about that. How safe are these kinds of jobs?

I honestly don't think I'd have a good chance though, just because of my height (5'5"). It helps if you are at least somewhat tall.[/quote]

A friend of mine has been doing that for years, with a good company you'll mainly spend your time walking around construction sites and sitting in hotel lobbies, but again he's always worked an average of 3 days a week.

[quote name='zionoverfire']IMO I'd keep your current job, try working elsewhere and they'll promise you 10-15 hours but quickly start scheduling you for more, for a number of companies it really isn't worth their time to train someone who isn't going to put in 2 full work days a week.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Never really thought about that.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Still if you don't care about crappy wages and are in college try applying to work in the library, computer labs or learning centers, the pay is total shit but the workload is typically light.[/QUOTE]

Yea, those jobs are extremely hard to get, but that would be ideal. Especially if I could get a job doing something in the engineering department, as it would allow me to get some experience and contacts in my current field.

[quote name='dpatel']
Yea, those jobs are extremely hard to get, but that would be ideal. Especially if I could get a job doing something in the engineering department, as it would allow me to get some experience and contacts in my current field.[/quote]

Ah well if you're lucky and you suck up really hard to a couple of profs. you might be able to pull some junior/senior teaching assistant or lab assistant work, most colleges don't have enough grad students to fill all their bitchwork needs.:D

I have two desk jobs that I sit there and pretty much do whatever I want. Occasional phone calls but I usually say I don't know because I really don't know and it's the weekday staff's question. I get paid (not a lot) to do what I usually do at home like surf the web, play movies, PS3, 360... it's been pretty fun.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I have two desk jobs that I sit there and pretty much do whatever I want. Occasional phone calls but I usually say I don't know because I really don't know and it's the weekday staff's question. I get paid (not a lot) to do what I usually do at home like surf the web, play movies, PS3, 360... it's been pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

This is what I need! Mind telling me what you do?

One is a non-profit Senior Center and the other is a church. lol

If I was a driver for the Senior center it would be $12 but they filled those positions. :( It's what I originally did before.

[quote name='dpatel']I was thinking about that. How safe are these kinds of jobs?

I honestly don't think I'd have a good chance though, just because of my height (5'5"). It helps if you are at least somewhat tall.[/QUOTE]

Anyone can become a flashlight cop.

[quote name='Graystone']Anyone can become a flashlight cop.[/QUOTE]

yep, i work at a pizzeria part time..and i went on a delivery to Verizon wireless. their security is kinda lame...especially if you work at the front desk. i talked to a guy that was playing Tekken 5 DR on the PSP. i asked him how long he was there..and he was there for 2 hours..with full internet access..and playing psp. that to me is the easiest money anywhere..and if your on patrol..you just walk hallways or drive around in a car...totally simple a cave man can do it.

I second the security job. I did that part-time about ten years ago. Worked it as a second job. They tend to have fairly high turnover and I would fill in wherever they needed somebody. In fact, I would just call my supervisor a day or two before I wanted to work and see what was available. My pay would vary depending on the job from about 8-15 dollars an hour (remember this was ten years ago). Maybe hard to find a position with that much flexibility, I knew somebody who worked there with a similar schedule. Don't let your height stop you either. They higher all kinds for this type of work.

I guess i'll give it a shot. I honestly usually see taller, bigger guys working security, but I guess I should give it a shot anyway.

[quote name='dallow']Where do you go to school?[/QUOTE]

UTD. You know of anything in the area? (preferably plano-ish).

[quote name='dpatel']UTD. You know of anything in the area? (preferably plano-ish).[/quote]

Hey, we go to the same school.... eerie...

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I'll let you know.

I've worked retail and security. Retail is a lot more customer interaction, but it's a lot more safe than security. Ultimately, I've got a much better wage working security, but that's because there's a crapload more responsibility on me, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get fired.

Don't schools typically offer work to students? I'm sure they would be more than willing to give you a student friendly schedule, and the work shouldn't be too hard.

[quote name='dpatel']Well, currently I am working a pretty decently paying job for the past year. The hours are decent (20 hours a week, 9am-1pm Mon-Fri), but it can get overwhelming at times being a full time student. With that said, I am looking to leave this job at the end of summer, and hopefully find another job that isn't as work heavy.

I expect this other job will pay less, as I am currently making about $12/hour, but, to be honest, those few dollars don't mean much if I can find something that has about 10-15 hours a week, and is pretty 'easy' as far as work goes.

I'd prefer not to work with customers, and would prefer not to work weekend nights. Any suggestions would be great. I know some jobs that you work as a 'secretary' or something similar, which entails very little, and allows you to surf the internet on your free time. Something like this would be ideal. If there is something that is more than 10-15 hours, but offers a lot of free time for doing school work, etc, then I wouldn't mind that either.[/quote]

Do what I did last year when I didn't want to deal with customers, get a data entry job. It's a pretty boring job, but all you have to do is just sit at a PC and type.

Working in a library at the circulation desk. No one goes to the library in the summer. Just sit and read, surf the web, play your DS, whatever you want.

[quote name='oakleyswitch']wal-mart electronics... then you get free games[/quote]

You get free games at Wal-Mart electronics (meaning, not involving employee theft)???

[quote name='karkyco']You get free games at Wal-Mart electronics (meaning, not involving employee theft)???[/quote]

Employee theft is a benefit.
A benefit for all retail jobs.

[quote name='dopa345']Working in a library at the circulation desk. No one goes to the library in the summer. Just sit and read, surf the web, play your DS, whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this as well. I work full-time for a library and the summer is dead as a doornail.

[quote name='dallow']Employee theft is a benefit.
A benefit for all retail jobs.[/QUOTE]

:lol: it's so true

when i worked at tower in the 90s, the employees robbed the store blind

like, two boxsets at a time kind of stealing

it was ridiculous

a welsh kid i worked with used to just take $5 from the register every shift for lunch at McDs. we would only get written up for anything over $20 off when we counted out our drawers so he basically just said "fuck it, tower's buying me lunch everyday since my salary is crap"

that was an easy, easy job though. back then you didn't have to be nice to customers. it was sort of like if High Fidelity had been directed by Gus Van Zant.

How about joining the INS/ICE/Border Patrol/DHS, defending and securing the border and chasing down illegal aliens?

Since they don't seem to be fulfilling their mandate by actually enforcing the laws on the books which are their responsibility (see above), it looks like a very lax, laid back and part time work position. You're in Texas, right? I'm sure you could even just fill in your own hours, including overtime, and never show up, like most government jobs.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']:lol: it's so true

when i worked at tower in the 90s, the employees robbed the store blind

like, two boxsets at a time kind of stealing

it was ridiculous

a welsh kid i worked with used to just take $5 from the register every shift for lunch at McDs. we would only get written up for anything over $20 off when we counted out our drawers so he basically just said "fuck it, tower's buying me lunch everyday since my salary is crap"

that was an easy, easy job though. back then you didn't have to be nice to customers. it was sort of like if High Fidelity had been directed by Gus Van Zant.[/quote]

Hehe, yeah. I worked at Tower too! For 2 years.
Salary was really crappy, and yeah, I knew people took stuff.
I didn't until the last few weeks before the store closed. (I ADMIT IT, I STOLE)
Stole as in bought stuff for under a dollar what should have cost much, much, much more.

I quit my last (which was also my first) job after about a year; the customers got to me as well. I was a cashier at a Brazilian supermarket. At first it was fun and an all and a good oppertunity to increase my Portuguese, and even though it has gotten better, it doesn't change the fact that most Brazilians are a real pain to deal with when they're a customer.

I just recently (yesterday) applied to Gamestop and a movie theatre. I'm not assuming it'll be too different, but hopefully the magnitude of customers will be more American so I'll be able to deal with that.

Whoops, this topic was to find a job for OP... sorry 'bout that >_

[quote name='Ozzkev55']You could always do Data Entry, it's usually void of customers, and is entry-level almost always[/QUOTE]

I took the test for a state data entry job, since it pays like 13 an hour and I pretty much just need to find a full time job for next semester, but as I was sitting there typing numbers with the keypad and what not I just thought about doing that for like 8 hours a day and how I would die. I am all down for using a computer, but that is so mundane, something physically taxing like construction would be a lot better.

Need 75 To Work Online, 2Hr/Day=$3K/Wk, No Investment, Real Job function exLink(l){ var jobhref = 'http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Resumes/SubmitExternalApply.aspx?useframes=True&exapptype=EL&strcrit=QID%3dA3850740122818%3bst%3da%3buse%3dALL%3bCTY%3dMcallen%3bSID%3dTX%3bCID%3dUS%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDR3%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dAll%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dgt120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dALL%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCHL%3dAL%3bQS%3dsid_unknown%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJQT%3dRAD&jobdid=J8E0PK74YXXW25KXXVC&companyname=Online+Business+Solutions'; jobhref = jobhref + '&aourl=' + escape(l.href); l.onclick = ''; l.target='_blank'; }
Company: Online Business Solutions

Description
WORK AT HOME ONLINE!

WORK FROM HOME ONLINE - 75+ JOBS AVAILABLE! Earn $3,500-$5,000 Weekly! Huge Earning Potential! No Experience Needed!

Full Time/Part Time Work At Home Positions Available Today!

Register Online Now!

it's calling you OP, 3,500 a week! for 2 hrs a day!

Need 75 To Work Online, 2Hr/Day=$3K/Wk, No Investment, Real Job

Description
WORK AT HOME ONLINE!

WORK FROM HOME ONLINE - 75+ JOBS AVAILABLE! Earn $3,500-$5,000 Weekly! Huge Earning Potential! No Experience Needed!

Full Time/Part Time Work At Home Positions Available Today!

Register Online Now!

it's calling you OP, 3,500 a week! for 2 hrs a day!

bread's done
Back