What's a good, similar alternative to Gmail?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
O.K., now this shit is uncalled for. I was just locked out of my Gmail account for unusual activity, though Gmail won't tell me what sort of activity that was. This is seriously pissing me off as I really have to get to my email:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb: There's no way to contact Google to get them to reset it/fix it. I'm seriously going to think twice now when I recommend Gmail as this is plain ridiculous.

Update:

O.K., so I decided to write this post after waiting several hours to see what would happened with my Gmail account, and seeing that it was still under lockdown decided to post. I just tried to log in moments ago, and I was able to. I have no fucking clue why my account went into lockdown, but I can guarantee that I'm now going to forward my email to Yahoo/Hotmail from now on. I'd recommend to anyone else to be careful when using Gmail if something like this could happened. Still, the thread still stands. I'm still looking for any alternative to Gmail. I'd prefer something other than Yahoo Mail, but if I have no choice, I'll go with them. Other than Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo, who else is out there for email?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I once had a Yahoo account closed down due to "suspicious activity." I actually managed to get a live person at Yahoo on the phone and he wouldn't tell me why the account had been closed. They asked me a bunch of weird questions about my account (Have you let anyone else use your account lately? Have you sold goods overseas?) but wouldn't unlock it for me. I've gone Gmail all the way now!

This isn't free but it may be worth it to avoid this problem...

Buy a domain and have the e-mail forward to gmail. I can't explain how to set it up but I think for about $10-20 you can get started and own the address. If Google locks you out you can forward it elsewhere. And it's nifty! I think it looks a little more professional (if that matters) to have [email protected] than [email protected] - not much but every little bit. And again, you own it so you can take it with you if you decide to leave Google.

i understand your frustrations, but i think the lockdowns were in your best interest; would you rather have fewer false positives (locking the rightful owner out) but at the expense of also allowing more true positives through (hacker, nigerian scammer, whatever)?

Hotmail. I've had a hot mail account longer, and use it for all my online orders and other things I think may attract spam. I have a g-mail, but don't use it very much. My work e-mail is the main one I use.

bread's done
Back