What's missing from my game room?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
What do I need to add to my game room? Currently, I have three TVs with the following systems:

Atari 2600
Nintendo NES
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Xbox
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2

The game room is reserved for the pre-HD era and is equipped with tube TVs. The modern consoles (PS3, Xbox 360) are in the living room hooked up to an HDTV.

What must-have consoles am I missing from the pre-HD era? What should I look for next? A few notes:

Most games on 3DO that are worth playing are also available on PS1 or Saturn.
Sega CD/32X is a pain in the ass with tool many cables, 3 power boxes, and hardly any games worth playing.
Atari Jaguar has hardly any games worth playing.
Neo Geo is expensive, has hardly any games, and is available on PSN.
Atari Jaguar CD games are few and far between, not mentioning being a pain in the ass to hook up.

Am I wrong in any of my assumptions? Where should I look next?

Sega CD is worth it if you like JRPGs. There is an extra power box, yes. but no cables, so it's not that annoying to set up.

You might also see if there's anything in the Intellivision or Colecovision catalog you'd be interested in. Intellivision's kind of a trip due to the utterly bizzare controller.

You're not entirely correct about the Neo Geo. The price varies considerably depending on if you're looking at an AES (cartridge) system or a CD system. Even then, cartridges can be considerably cheaper if you get the arcade (MVS) cartridges and run them on the AES system with a convertor.

Some of the games are of course available on current-gen systems but isn't the point of having a game room to play stuff in their original forms? I mean, if not, just emulate everything on PC and save tons of money.

Get a Sega CDX. 1 power cord, 1 AV and it can also double as your Genesis and save shelf space. It's a tiny system, much smaller than the Genesis. There are exclusive Sega CD games worth owning and not just JRPGs. Plus it has the best version of many games (Flashback, Hook, Final Fight, Eternal Champions, Mickey Mania)

Some great games off the top of my head - Popful Mail (probably my favorite game on the system) Shinning Force CD, Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, Spider-Man vs Kingpin, Dungeon Explorer, Android Assualt.

I agree with the Jaguar & 3DO. They are not must haves in my eyes. And while the Neo Geo is a cool system to own, there's so many collection disks and XBLA/PSN titles there's little need to drop the coin for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicks?

I'm just kidding. That's a good collection. Why not just go whole hog and get every system instead of just the important ones?

Sega Massa System has a lot of good games. Should be pretty cheap too. Though for a high roller such as yourself price is of no consequence.

I would recommend the Turbograffix-16. That is one of my favorite systems but it is pretty hard to find one of the cd systems but a normal card system is just as fun.

Also some arcade cabinets would be pretty nice but they are sometimes quite expensive depending on where you get them.

Sega CD for sure, the CDX is smaller than a model 2 Genesis. Despite its reputation, plenty of significant games came out on that system, I use my Sega CD way more than my Saturn.

Other than that, it depends on where you want to branch out and how far back you want to go. Commodore 64 could be a candidate but most people just emulate that now. Classic computer/PC gaming and arcade gaming seems underrepresented.

Get the Power Base Converter for the sega genesis (especially if you have a model 1 sega genesis). It plays nearly all sega master system cartridges and sega cards. It is a great way to add the master system to your library without another console. There are no extra cords or anything.

If you have a model 2 sega genesis - I am told that they made a power base converter for that one, but I have never seen it myself. You can cut a notch in the back of the model 1 power base converter and it will work with the model 2 (it is a tight fit though). I am told that doing so is bad form, but it worked for me. :)

Isn't the model 1 Genesis the one to have anyways? The model 2 doesn't have the headphone jack or the associated volume control.

Sega always wins baby!

Totally need a Vectrex. Its something that is really obscure, but not crazy expensive. I got mine, with the box, and a decent amount of paperwork for under $250. Most games fall under $25 complete and there are some real pricey ones for the true collector. They even made glasses and a pen, but those are always way out of my price range. Sometimes hitting $400 complete.

264848_1971001047077_388795_n.jpg

[quote name='Halo05']Isn't the model 1 Genesis the one to have anyways? The model 2 doesn't have the headphone jack or the associated volume control.

Sega always wins baby![/QUOTE]

Seriously, how often do people use this "feature"?

Just pump audio through an amp/receiver for every console and you get yourself a proper 1/4" headphone jack to boot ;)

I used it way back in the day to play videogames at night when parents were asleep but yeah, it's more a novelty than anything else.

[quote name='wiggyx']Seriously, how often do people use this "feature"?

Just pump audio through an amp/receiver for every console and you get yourself a proper 1/4" headphone jack to boot ;)[/QUOTE]

It was the best feature ever when I was a kid and had to keep the noise down, but now that I don't have to worry about it - it is kind of useless. Of course back in the day I was mad that it wasn't on EVERY system :)

[quote name='wiggyx']Seriously, how often do people use this "feature"?

Just pump audio through an amp/receiver for every console and you get yourself a proper 1/4" headphone jack to boot ;)[/QUOTE]
Even aside from the convenience of the jack, the audio is much better and cleaner on a model 1 Genesis. At least until the very late model 1s. Non-TMSS is also a nice feature.

[quote name='dafoomie']Even aside from the convenience of the jack, the audio is much better and cleaner on a model 1 Genesis. At least until the very late model 1s. Non-TMSS is also a nice feature.[/QUOTE]

I know, I just wanted to call out the lack of usefulness of a headphone jack on a console for anyone over the age of 12 ;)

It's sort of like saying that the RCA outs on the SCPH-1001 were a useful feature.

Actually for the 3DO there is Daedalus Encounter exclusive. Also that J-RPG, the one where the Japanese version actually is the only Japanese 3DO game that won't play on American 3DO. Apparently the 3DO version is the best and the Saturn version is a hatchet job.
When it comes to Jaguar it has the Highlander game exclusive on CD and I believe it wraps up the animated show. I liked "Kasumi Ninja" myself though I know most don't enjoy it. There is also "Aliens Vs. Predator" and a few others.
As for the best version of "Flashback" the Sega Genesis or CD is debatable as there is a Philips CD-i version which I remember seeing even more cutscenes then the Sega Genesis version. It was also given a higher rating on the CD-i I believe as well. Most of the Bluth Laserdisc games were given the best home game ratings for the CD-i though I don't know if that's changed for the Dragon's Lair trilogy on Wii which my friend says is the best. I can only tell you, playing the Philips CD-i version of Dragon's Lair or Timewarp, it played very smoothly. What else? There's the third Zelda on Philips CD-i which looks gorgeous from screenshots though it's European exclusive. Also there's "Chaos Control" though you can buy that for PC("hold entry, hold entry"). "Burn Cycle" is suppose to be good. Oh and last there's "7th Guest" which is suppose to be great and they might have gotten "11th Hour".
For Sega CD there's "Loom", "Secret Of Monkey Island"(though SCUMM is suppose to be great), "Popful Mail"(yet to play :whistle2:( ), "Sonic CD", "Final Fight", "Double Switch"(not bad but difficult), both Lunars which have some definite story differences from the PS versions/Saturn versions.
I would also recommend the TG-16 as there are a ton of games on it that haven't seen release anywhere else. It's got the only complete version of "Cadash" for home systems(the Genesis version only gave you a choice of two characters instead of four). Y's Book 1 and 2 and I believe it received a couple of other Nihon Falcom games as well.
If you're a big point and click Adventure game fan I'd definitely recommend the Amiga CD32 as it seemed to be what Xbox was to PC FPS game conversions to Adventure games.

[quote name='dafoomie']Classic computer/PC gaming and arcade gaming seems underrepresented.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Get some Windows 3.1 in this bitch!!

I never miss a chance to promote this under rated little system, SO: another vote for the TG16 for tons of great exclusives! Even if you skip out on the expensive CD add on you can experience unique games like Bonk I, II, III, Blasing Lasers, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Air Zonk, Neutopia 1 & 2, Legendary Axe I & II, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Dungeon Explorers, Ninja Spirit, Miiltary Madness, Dragon's Curse, New Adventure Island, Psycosis, Parasol Stars, Galaga 90, Crater Maze, Devil's Crush and some amazing arcade ports like R-Type, Aeroblasters, Fantasy Zone, Bomber man '93 and Cadash.

You Said: Neo Geo is expensive, has hardly any games, and is available on PSN.

I Say: False. You don't have to buy AES, you can go MVS and the games are very reasonable. And I think King of Fighters series, Garou MOTW, Metal Slug 3 and X, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Strikers 1945, Top Hunter, Neo Bomberman, Neo Mr. Do, Neo Turfmasters, Waku Waku 7, The Last Blade, Samsho 1 & 2, Robo Army, Mutation Nation all qualify as games and solid ones at that. Most of which are not available on PSN.

bread's done
Back