What's one game you always thought you'd hate until you actually tried it?

Josh1billion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
For me, it's the new Hatsune Miku game (Project Diva F).

I've never been a fan of vocaloids, but I enjoyed it once I tried out the Japanese demo a few weeks ago and found a song I actually liked (天楽.. not sure what it's called in the U.S. release yet, but it should translate to something like "Heavenly Music", or Tengaku if they just write it in roumaji).  Pretty fun, and even though the majority of the songs aren't really my taste, it's a solid rhythm game overall imo.

Bonus answer: Assassin's Creed II.  Disappointed with the first game, I avoided AC II for months.  When I finally rented it, AC became one of my favorite series, and it remained so until the last couple of releases.

I'll go with Burnout Paradise. I played the original Burnout and hated everything about and then never came back. And then I randomly bought Burnout Paradise for like 5 bucks and loved the hell out of that game. I'll gladly buy more Burnout games if anymore are ever released. 

This was a long time ago, but I thought I'd hate Earthbound and Suikoden (the latter mostly based on the box art).

Splinter Cell Blacklist for a recent example. I really disliked how much Conviction changed the core mechanics, Blacklist was built on it but they brought back a lot of what the made the series great and the parkour is really fun for a stealth game. Just please don't play it on anything below "Perfectionist" difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asuras Wrath. Nothing about that game should have worked. But man i loved that game.

Now if we could get a DBZ game like that with a unique story.

For some reason Sleeping Dogs didn't interest me at all when it came out and I had no intention of playing it, but when I got it from PS+ I tried it and now I think it's one of the best open world games of this gen.

Probably Path of Exile. Friend of mine asked me to try it and I honestly didn't care for it. The first time I downloaded I had it open for 5 minutes and closed it without giving it a chance. I eventually came around to trying it sincerely, and it's actually quite fun! Especially playing with someone else. Glad I went back to it and gave it a fair shot.

Fallout 3, bought it with my ps3 a long time ago. It was too 'computer game-looky' for what I was used to, but when I popped it back in when I had nothing to play, I was hooked. 130 hours before I had my fill

I've got a couple:

1) Quake 3

Back in college when the demo came out, my roommate had downloaded it and was playing it and wanted me to play with him.  I had no interest in FPS games at all, but figured I'd grab it to make him happy since I figured after a couple weeks we'd both be tired of it.  Then I got hooked.  I put sooo much time into the game.  Beat everything on nightmare difficulty.  Played tons of different mods and even used the source to learn C++ with and make some mods for myself.  Made maps, got really involved with trickjumping and the DeFrag team and made some maps that ended up being sort of legendary in their own right. 

2) Dance Dance Revolution

Also in college, one of my friends brought his DDR pads with him and brought them to my room one day to show me the game.  I thought the game looked soooo stupid, but figured I'd give it a play.  Again, I was totally hooked.  I loved a lot of the music (he had Best Hits) and we ended up playing this a lot.  When 4th Mix came out we were setting up in the downstairs lobbies and getting crowds of people to watch and play.  The next year he didn't come back so I got my own pads and 5th mix when it came out and played almost every day, losing about 40 pounds.  DDR is a game I ended up playing for years and years and still play on occasion.  I even met my wife from playing DDR and bringing it to her dorm to play, and our first dance at our wedding was on DDR.

Demon's Souls.  It looked kind of boring to me before it came out.  Then people starting raving about it, so I gave it a shot, and it ended up being one of my favorite PS3 games. 

I'd say the Souls games too, though I had tried it. I Bought Demon's Souls at launch, and hated almost everything about it. Bought it again six months later after hearing everyone rave about it.... still hated it. A few months ago I bought into the hype again and picked up a cheap copy of Dark Souls. At first I was like "oh, this is more of the same shit, why did I bother with this again?" Anyways, I can't remember where or what specifically happened, but there was a turning point. I finally got it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game of all time, but I definitely enjoyed it.

The Mass Effect series. A friend was describing it to me and when he mentioned how many possible outcomes there are, I thought there was no way all of those endings could possibly be properly fleshed out (games that wrap up very quickly annoy me). Only picked it up because I got it cheap and it was a great decision.

Catherine - a dating sim + puzzle game didn't sound interesting to me but after reading reviews and trying it out I really enjoyed it.

Far Cry 3. Never played previous titles. Thought it was some stupid shooter. Played it at a friend's house and I was impressed. 

Man, was it fun to take out a base without anyone seeing you ... 

"What the hell is that smell?!"

The Mass Effect series. A friend was describing it to me and when he mentioned how many possible outcomes there are, I thought there was no way all of those endings could possibly be properly fleshed out (games that wrap up very quickly annoy me). Only picked it up because I got it cheap and it was a great decision.
I would have to say that for me it was the same. My bro-inlaw let me borrow the first one in like 2008, played maybe 2 hours of it and just didn't care for it. Seeing the commercials for ME3 made me go back to it, start a new game and from then I continued on with the series. ME2 was definitely my favorite. Currently going back through ME1 to pick up some more achievements and I'm enjoying it more than the first time.

I picked it up for $15 from BB I had a $10 rewards certificate. A guy on another board said I would love it but I really wasn't sure. But for $5 why not? I installed it but didn't play it. 3 or 4 weeks later my nephew plays a bit and I am like this looks lame. Later it seems pretty cool. Anyway a few months later I finally got around to it and it was pretty good much better then I thought. A little slow to get going but once it does it is pretty fun.

Far Cry 3. Never played previous titles. Thought it was some stupid shooter. Played it at a friend's house and I was impressed.

Other games I wasn't sure about but really ended up enjoying were Saints Row the Third, Lego Batman 2 and BioShock Infinite.

I never got into Grand Theft Auto.  I had IV and played maybe 2 hours and never wanted to pick it up again.  I assumed Saints Row was much the same.  I heard the guys on the Podcast saying it was a really good game but still couldn't pull the trigger to buy it.  When it was free on PSN for PS+ members I picked it up.  When I finally got around to playing it I was a lot of fun.  So much so I rented SR4 last week.

The only Lego game I had played before was the original Star Wars one.  I was bored with it in a couple hours and hated the hub system.  There was one other Lego game I considered picking up but never did.   Again they liked it a lot on the Podcast and one other guy I know raved about the game.  So I picked up in July during the XBox Live sale.  Just played it this week might be the biggest sleeper of all for me.  I was very impressed with the game and looked forward to playing it every night.

I played the first BioShock for a bit and couldn't stand the feel of environment or the puzzles.   So I skipped the rest of them.  I rented it a few weeks ago and found it much more enjoyable to play then I thought it would be.  Still no desire to go back and play the others though.  Too many good reviews for this to pass it up. 

I rented this when it was new. I tried to like it but I think I just made it outside the ship (or whatever it was) and gave up.

Fallout 3, bought it with my ps3 a long time ago. It was too 'computer game-looky' for what I was used to, but when I popped it back in when I had nothing to play, I was hooked. 130 hours before I had my fill

Bulletstorm.

I saw the videos and even tried the demo and it was terrible.

But after trying the full game on a rental it became one of my absolute favorite games.

"Hate" might be too strong, but I was hesitant to try Mass Effect at first... Total JRPG guy who barely played any Western-developed games, especially RPGs. I also wasn't sure about the art style and about playing an RPG without swords and spiky hair. :lol: But I decided to give it a shot, fell completely in love with it, Mass Effect 2 is now my favorite game of all time and the series itself is probably tied with Final Fantasy as my favorite game series.

I actually used to hate call of duty because literally everyone played it, and it made me think of the stereotypical teenager who sits in his room all day and plays cod with his headset, some red bull, and a bag of chips. I didn't like halo, but I respected it somewhat because I played it at my friends house and it was OK. I used to only play sports games. Then cod 4 happened, and I borrowed it from my friend a few years ago. In still borrowing it.

bread's done
Back