what's some good ps2/xbox rpgs?

LaraCroftsLeftBoob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
i need a good rpg to play. i haven't played any for a little while. i'd really like an old-school kinda rpg if ii could, but prety much any good one will do. preferably one thats been out for a while and has dropped in price. here's some i've already played and liked (from all systems).

really liked:
final fantasy 1
ff 3/6
ff 7
kotor 1 & 2
baldurs gate
planescape: torment
icewind dale
elder scrolls morrowind
vagrant story

liked ok:
fable
dark cloud
jade empire
ff x & x-2
ff 8

some i'm considering if i can't find any good old school type rpg's
baldurs gate: da 1 & 2
demon stone
bards tale
.hack

Did you play Kingdom Hearts? Heavier on the Disney than the Final Fantasy, so must not dislike Disney stuff. And it can be had dirt cheap. Great game (though on the virge of being overrated, it's talked about so damn much).

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']i've thought about that, i mean it's from square, so i'm sure it's good. but the whole disney thing makes it look kinda kiddy.[/QUOTE]

So you need ample amounts of blood, guts, n gore? That's going to limit the choices quite a bit.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']So you need ample amounts of blood, guts, n gore? That's going to limit the choices quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

no, i don't mean that. but when i think of disney, i think of it being marketed more to kids. i'm afraid the story would be kiddy/cartoonish.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']no, i don't mean that. but when i think of disney, i think of it being marketed more to kids. i'm afraid the story would be kiddy/cartoonish.[/QUOTE]

So, you're too mature to appreciate a disney film?

I'm sorry, but the argument that something is "too kiddy" is poor unless applied to a game with the rating "EC". There's already testimony that the game is fun. I'm sure you've seen some (probably a lot of) disney films you liked, and I'm also willing to bet that you're not going to instantly dislike the movies simply because you're older.

That being said, apparently Dragon Quest VIII is supposed to be good. But, it's not old. Atelier Iris is supposed to be decent. Expensive at most places, but gamefly has it for $25.

Other games:

-Wild Arms 3
-Shadow Hearts Covenant
-Suikoden III+IV
-Star Ocean till the end of time
-Mega Man X command mission
-Arc the Lad
-Xenosaga episodes I+II

Also, get FF4 for the original playstation (can be had for about $20). The story of FF4 is worlds better than FF6, more fun, harder and just plain better. Or FFII for the SNes, but that will probably be pretty hard.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']So, you're too mature to appreciate a disney film?

I'm sorry, but the argument that something is "too kiddy" is poor unless applied to a game with the rating "EC". There's already testimony that the game is fun. I'm sure you've seen some (probably a lot of) disney films you liked, and I'm also willing to bet that you're not going to instantly dislike the movies simply because you're older.

[/QUOTE]

no, i still watch an occasional disney movie. i just find that fewer and fewer of them look interesting, which makes it harder to get into them.

If you're looking for old school just go out and get DQ8. It is currently $40 at Circuit City and will continue to be at that price through at least next week. It is a long game (but not tedious at all) - I'm currently 56 hours and have read from several sources that it's in the the 60-70 hour range. The graphics are some of the best on PS2, the voiceovers are funny and there's actually an overworld to explore, unlike FFX. Trust me, it's worth the $$

I have to echo the recomendations for Dragon Quest VIII. Its price may be higher than some of those other rpgs, but its better than them, and will last you longer that several of those others put together so it works out. Plus its super old school, which you should like.

Kingdom Hearts is fun, but between each section it forces you to play this awful spaceship fighting mini-game. Just horrid.

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age is one to consider. It didn't get the greatest reviews, but I enjoyed it. Turn based combat (old school flavor) with the ability to swap out any of the characters currently in your party at any time.

I had a good time with Bard's Tale as well. Lots of different sidekicks to summon and you can summon a full roster without too much standing around waiting for your 'magic gauge' to refill.

Enjoyable story lines in both LOTR: 3rd Age and Bard's. Edge to Bard's in that department however.

[quote name='wubb']Kingdom Hearts is fun, but between each section it forces you to play this awful spaceship fighting mini-game. Just horrid.[/QUOTE]
I'm probably the only person that semi-enjoyed those sections. Not the gameplay, mind you, but the designing of a ship and using it. I'll admit the shooting was crappy, but the gummi ship stuff wasn't entirely retarded.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']no, i don't mean that. but when i think of disney, i think of it being marketed more to kids. i'm afraid the story would be kiddy/cartoonish.[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised at how deep the story is.. it's actually stuff that most kids probably wouldn't understand.

As for games to check out, Shin Megami Tensei and the two Digital Devil Sagas are worth playing.

I'd never even think of calling Kingdom Heart's story "deep". But I will add in my recommendation for the game, I really consider it one of the top 10 games of this generation.

If you liked Baulder's Gate you can for Champions of Norrath. The second one still fetches 25-30$ but you can get the first one for cheap. If you like straight up hack and slashes you can get Dungons and Dragons Heroes.

I liked Summoner (first one had a lot of bugs and problems but i like the story) Summoner 2 was great it actually improved so much from the first one. Forever Kingdom was a so so game. Kingdom under fire (sort of ) Growlanser generations, Kessen 1,2,3 , musashi, Radiata stories, any romance of the three kingdoms, Ys the arc of Napishtim

If you have any tolerance for strat RPGs, then I'd recommend Disgaea. The story in that game always had me laughing, and it is an extremely deep game.

There isn't a whole for xbox so another reason why im holding of for PS3 what I'd reccomend is:

BOF Dragon Quarter
Shadow Hearts Series
LEgaia 2 Duel Sage
Arc the lad
Dragonquest VII
Front Mission 4 (turn based strategy)
oh if your into strategy rpgs give the ROmance of three kingdoms series a try

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']i've thought about that, i mean it's from square, so i'm sure it's good. but the whole disney thing makes it look kinda kiddy.[/QUOTE]

Let me get my flame suit on... :hot:

Not all Square games are good, especially true of their non-standard RPG offerings, IMO. I never really considered kingdom hearts to be much of an RPG anyway...

I've been playing Star Ocean: Til the End of Time and it's pretty descent. DQ8 looks absolutely amazing and if you REALLY want an RPG and are willing to pay the price, $40 seems like a worthy price. I'm tempted by it, but my backlog is taunting me and the holidays have ravaged my wallet already.

i haven't really found an RPG on the current gen that I LOVE at all. Then again, my first jump into the world of RPG's was FFVII. I haven't been able to find that perfect mix of old school style on the current gen of systems

my mix for my rpg needs - great, emotional, serious story (not lighthearted), turn-based, overworld map, secrets on the overworld map, a protagonist that actually speaks, a game where the endboss isn't some random whatever (like FF VIII and IX), and other memorable characters (not billions of them, a la Chrono Cross and Suikoden).

I've heard that DQ VIII is in the same vein as this, I'm just weary because of the non-speaking protagonist, and the bright colors. But I hear that DQVIII is the closest you'll get to 'old school'

Done with PS1 rpgs then? If not I'd recommend the likes of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Grandia and Parasite Eve.
By the way, did you play Elder Scrolls Morrowind on the PC or Xbox?

I don't really care for kingdom hearts at all....but the story isn't any more kiddy than any of the other final fantasy games. The Disney villains are the best part of the damn game.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Let me get my flame suit on... :hot:

Not all Square games are good, especially true of their non-standard RPG offerings, IMO. I never really considered kingdom hearts to be much of an RPG anyway...

I've been playing Star Ocean: Til the End of Time and it's pretty descent. DQ8 looks absolutely amazing and if you REALLY want an RPG and are willing to pay the price, $40 seems like a worthy price. I'm tempted by it, but my backlog is taunting me and the holidays have ravaged my wallet already.[/QUOTE]

1. I agree. Ever since Square and Enix merged, they haven't been able to put anything worthy of their namesakes together.

2. Star Ocean is decent, until you get to the lame plot twists and magic sucking enemies that kill you (SE: "Hey! Special attacks require MP, and using them is strategic to defeating enemies late in he game, so lets make monsters that steal your MP when you touch them and then make you die from it!").

3. Kingdom Hearts is good. Merely good (whoever did the Gummi Ship thing is now on my shit list).

4. Dragon Quest 8 may restore my faith, if I find the time and will to play it.

Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 are wonderful. IMHO most memorable characters in rpgs this generation.
Jade Empire is good (if a little talky)
Morrowind, obviously
Nippon Ichi trilogy (disgaea, la pucelle, phantom brave) are good if you're interested in strategic rpgs

My humble opinion on KH (RE: OPINION) = Extremely disliked it. Disney elements were good and true to the original material, but story was ramshackle to me, and I extremely disliked the art style of the non-disney characters. Plus, some of the worst level design I've EVER seen - even the outdoor levels made me feel like I was walking around a series of cardboard boxes.

[quote name='orphicblue']Plus, some of the worst level design I've EVER seen - even the outdoor levels made me feel like I was walking around a series of cardboard boxes.[/QUOTE]
I liked the game, but I'll give that to you. Monstro was horrible.

[quote name='orphicblue']My humble opinion on KH (RE: OPINION) = Extremely disliked it. Disney elements were good and true to the original material, but story was ramshackle to me, and I extremely disliked the art style of the non-disney characters. Plus, some of the worst level design I've EVER seen - even the outdoor levels made me feel like I was walking around a series of cardboard boxes.[/QUOTE]
D'oh this one's sitting on my queue. When I get around to it, I guess I should temper my expectations...

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']
some i'm considering if i can't find any good old school type rpg's
[/QUOTE]

Growlancer Generations

Also they recently released a remake of Wild Arms.

Nobody seems to be up to date on their RPGS.

If you want a difficult, open-ended RPG pick up Romancing Saga by Square-Enix for PS2.

If you want a light-hearted, button mashing action RPG pick up Radiata Stores for PS2.

If you want a traditional RPG get Dragon Quest VIII or Wild Arms Alter Code F (I believe this game follows the mold set by Wild Arms 3).

Hope I've helped.

Is Romancing Saga any good? It's been getting absolutely bashed on reviews, but is that because it's hard? I know reviewers especially lately have downgraded amazing games (ie F-Zero for GC) because of their difficulty.

I though RS looked interesting but the horrible reviews made me think twice.

I think it's a lot of fun. A major flaw is the randomness of the people you have to speak to to progress during quests, but if you pick up the strategy guide it's no big deal.

The battles are fun, enemies are interesting, and the short stories are entertaining and charming.

bread's done
Back