Whats the best 60+ tv on the market

Bmac1775

CAGiversary!
Looking to upgrade the TV we have (42” Vizio plasma) and wanted to get everyone’s opinion on the best 60 or larger TV on the market (DLP included). I’m shooting for 2500 or less.

If projectors are an option, then I'd look into those as you could get up to a 100-120" screen for less than what you'd pay for a 60"+ TV. But you need to have the space, lighting etc. right for it and not mind the pricey bulb replacements (though DLP bulbs aren't cheap either).

Well I think the best we can do for space would be 65. I did have a 37 inch sony dlp and even though it was only 720p it was the best picture I have seen (as long as the room was dark)

Fair enough. I don't have any suggestion in that case as I haven't researched TVs since 2007 and then I was looking only at 50" models.

Only tip I'd give is head out to a Best Buy with a magnolia home theater set up, or a local big screen store, with a note pad and write down some models you like and prices and come back and do some online searches for reviews and price checks etc. Then post some specific models here etc.

That's how I went about my TV search a couple years ago and it worked out well for me. Got a 50" TV I still love for $999.99 (Sony e2000 Series LCD RPTV).

[quote name='wildcpac']My Friend bought a 58 inch Sony Plasma at Costco for around 2000. Everything looks perfect on it.[/QUOTE]

I will have to hit costco and BJs cause A sony is what I REALLY want.

Don't get too sucked into the brand name. I have a Sony and love it, but other companies put out damn nice sets (and some better) so go in open minded and check out different brands in addition to Sony like Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer etc.

The 1939 Westinghouse WRT-700 cannot be beat.
westinghouse-wrt700-hd.jpg

Never knew that about Vizio, thats pretty interesting.

Hey Malik, do u have that set and if so...are the veiwing angles good, does it do well even in a bright room?

[quote name='Bmac1775']Never knew that about Vizio, thats pretty interesting.

Hey Malik, do u have that set and if so...are the veiwing angles good, does it do well even in a bright room?[/QUOTE]

I dont have that set but i do have a 65" and 56" dlp in the house right now. All newer DLPs have viewing angles above 175 degrees and even in a fully sun lit room they display really well.

I got a 67" samsung DLP 1080p 60hz and feel like the picture is gorgeous. When i was looking to buy a TV the only other tv that could compare to the picture was high priced samsung lcds and sony bravia lcds. both of which were 120hz and sub 52".

[quote name='vic_x51']I got a 67" samsung DLP 1080p 60hz and feel like the picture is gorgeous. When i was looking to buy a TV the only other tv that could compare to the picture was high priced samsung lcds and sony bravia lcds. both of which were 120hz and sub 52".[/QUOTE]

do i know you from any tib forums?

[quote name='vic_x51']I got a 67" samsung DLP 1080p 60hz and feel like the picture is gorgeous. When i was looking to buy a TV the only other tv that could compare to the picture was high priced samsung lcds and sony bravia lcds. both of which were 120hz and sub 52".[/QUOTE]
Yeah that's exactly how I feel about my Samsung DLP. Sony or Samsung LCDs would be the only other choices I would consider from what I've seen, but you would end up spending several hundred more for a much smaller screen with debatable picture quality improvements. Of course you wouldn't have to pay for bulbs and you'd get a thinner TV, but then again the bulb in my DLP has already lasted 3 and a half years (with an estimated 2 year lifetime).

awesome, so many choices. im usually a "gotta have it now" but really want something good so thats why Im asking. I really appreciate the answers. When i go shopping for electronics, I feel like a kid in a candy store so this will make it much easier.

the Plasma LG 60PS60 is nice, i got this tv when sears could not fix my Hitichi 61" projection tv from 2001, so a few months ago they did an exchange, and i got this 60" LG 60PS60, brand new, just came out, and first to get it. Pretty sweet, good to keep warranties ;) i see it for $1899.99 now, its a great picture, i had so many worries when getting it, but i'm really happy with it, love it, i have 0 problems with games, and i've played plenty, including beating COD4 for the first time over 3 days of playing it. few hours at a time. no issues. Have xbox 360, PS3, Wii, play sf4, cod4, xbox live games, ect, havn't had a problem.

[quote name='DrFoo']Of course you wouldn't have to pay for bulbs and you'd get a thinner TV, but then again the bulb in my DLP has already lasted 3 and a half years (with an estimated 2 year lifetime).[/QUOTE]

You can buy LED DLPs which dont require a bulb and if you feel like coughing up the cash there are a few companies that make wall mountable thin DLPs

[quote name='ParadoxSeven']the Plasma LG 60PS60 is nice, i got this tv when sears could not fix my Hitichi 61" projection tv from 2001, so a few months ago they did an exchange, and i got this 60" LG 60PS60, brand new, just came out, and first to get it. Pretty sweet, good to keep warranties ;) i see it for $1899.99 now, its a great picture, i had so many worries when getting it, but i'm really happy with it, love it, i have 0 problems with games, and i've played plenty, including beating COD4 for the first time over 3 days of playing it. few hours at a time. no issues. Have xbox 360, PS3, Wii, play sf4, cod4, xbox live games, ect, havn't had a problem.

[/QUOTE]
thats an awesome tv but Im confused by the 600hzs stuff. Is that the same as LCD 120hzs or different tech

[quote name='Bmac1775']thats an awesome tv but Im confused by the 600hzs stuff. Is that the same as LCD 120hzs or different tech[/QUOTE]

Completely different Tech, plasmas have a faster refresh rate to begin with then lcd's this is why you see more ghosting and blur with moving objects on lcd's then plasmas, but 120hz was made for lcds to help with that, problem is 120hz also makes movies, pictures, ect, look so fake, that myself personly can not take it. It makes CGI work in movies look beyond fake, and unjoyable, like in pirates of the carribean, i saw it playing, and those ghost pirates (pirate ghosts?) looked beyond fake compared to anything i've seen before, it ruined the movie for me, it takes you out of the illision that a movie with cgi is trying to do, that it might be real. not with 120hz, its hard to explain, i mean at first you will be like wow, everything is super sharp, and crisp, and so clear, but watch long enough, or see a movie with cgi in it, or like that movie CARS, and you then see how fake / weird that it does to them, changes view of it. i don't know, i hate it myself. some people like that fake look, calling it 3d-ish looking, bah, its not 3d-ish, it doens't look right.

oh and about plasma and its "600hz" its more of a marketing thing, like i said, natrually its faster refresh rate then lcd's, so they put out there number. Its nothing like when lcds say they got 120hz, that 120hz actually changes the pictures look and feel.

[quote name='ParadoxSeven']Completely different Tech, plasmas have a faster refresh rate to begin with then lcd's this is why you see more ghosting and blur with moving objects on lcd's then plasmas, but 120hz was made for lcds to help with that, problem is 120hz also makes movies, pictures, ect, look so fake, that myself personly can not take it. It makes CGI work in movies look beyond fake, and unjoyable, like in pirates of the carribean, i saw it playing, and those ghost pirates (pirate ghosts?) looked beyond fake compared to anything i've seen before, it ruined the movie for me, it takes you out of the illision that a movie with cgi is trying to do, that it might be real. not with 120hz, its hard to explain, i mean at first you will be like wow, everything is super sharp, and crisp, and so clear, but watch long enough, or see a movie with cgi in it, or like that movie CARS, and you then see how fake / weird that it does to them, changes view of it. i don't know, i hate it myself. some people like that fake look, calling it 3d-ish looking, bah, its not 3d-ish, it doens't look right.

oh and about plasma and its "600hz" its more of a marketing thing, like i said, natrually its faster refresh rate then lcd's, so they put out there number. Its nothing like when lcds say they got 120hz, that 120hz actually changes the pictures look and feel.[/QUOTE]

Same tech, different speed.

The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a unit of frequency. It is defined as the number of complete cycles per second.

has nothing to do with the picture other than objects look smoother to the eyes as they move across the screen instead of jumpy

[quote name='Malik112099']Same tech, different speed.

The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a unit of frequency. It is defined as the number of complete cycles per second.

has nothing to do with the picture other than objects look smoother to the eyes as they move across the screen instead of jumpy[/QUOTE]

Well i meant different tech in that 120hz isn't just a hz increase, and when they talk about 600hz vs 120hz, they are not talking about just hz alone when talking about plasma vs lcd, they are not relatable techs, completely different, sure a hz is a hz is the same, but not in this case, again simplely naming it 600hz or 120hz is talking way more then just the hz

I agree with the Samsung DLPs. Specifically, the LED models. You won't find better PQ anywhere, and there are no bulbs to replace. The $$ to inches ratio is also impossible to beat. I bought the 56" model (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5687SAX-56-Inch-Engine-1080p/dp/B000N53T0K) a year and a half ago for about $1600. My dad got the 61" version (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT6189S-61-Inch-Engine-1080p/dp/B000P1BHVK) seven months ago for only $999. (I'm still bitter about that)

Just my $.02

)-(

So I ended up with the 55" Samsung from Best Buy. Really looks great. Only had it two days but Im happy with it...other than Best Buy tryin to bend me with monster cables and all the other crap, it was a good experience.

bread's done
Back