What's the best Baseball game?

DrJoe

CAG Veteran
Hi all,

I'm new to Wii -- like many a Christmas recipient.

Which baseball game is best, and why:

MLB Power Pros
Major League Baseball 2008
The Bigs

Did I miss any? I'm not counting the Wii Sports version of baseball.

thanks for your input,

Joe

I never played the other two, but Power Pros is a lot of fun. It's more of a throwback to classic baseball games (A lot of reviewers mention RBI Baseball) and has a LOT of stat tracking and features.

major league baseball 2K8 isn't out until march

mlb power pros is the better game between the other two... better controls, tons of options, and much more fun... but it's not real players. i mean, it is, but they're cartoons. so it doesn't have that same 'sports game' sense that you'd find in something like madden. despite it being actual mlb teams and players, the whole thing, i think, feels like you're playing some wacky japanese anime game.

the bigs has the realism, but isn't as good of a game. it's not bad, but i wasn't completely impressed. difficult (non-intuitive) controls, less customization, and it feels more like work than fun.

so yeah... it all depends on what you're looking for really... but wii sports is still the best one. you might be better off waiting until march for the next attempt, or just not getting a baseball game on wii.

I hope you actually have a Wii.
[quote name='dim2192']Wii baseball games suck..wait for Wii Sports 2[/quote]

Buy MLB Power Pros, forget the graphics (although the animation is great, the low-detail cartoons really mimic the MLB players) it plays the best game of baseball of any game currently on the market.

[quote name='Big Fo']Buy MLB Power Pros, forget the graphics (although the animation is great, the low-detail cartoons really mimic the MLB players) it plays the best game of baseball of any game currently on the market.[/quote]The thing about MLB Power Pros is that its basically a Gamecube game on the Wii. Other than using your Miis, theres not many other Wii features. That means that you have to press a button to pitch and to bat, unlike the baseball game in Wii Sports. Seriously, just wait for Wii Sports 2, its inevitable that Nintendo is going to make another one.

[quote name='naes']I hope you actually have a Wii.[/quote]Yes, I got mine on Christmas. After falling in love with the baseball game in Wii Sports, I did some research on the other baseball games on the Wii and they all fell short. Hopefully, we will see a good baseball game on the Wii one day, but for now, just wait.

Then you really need to give MLB Power Pros a try.
[quote name='dim2192']Yes, I got mine on Christmas. After falling in love with the baseball game in Wii Sports, I did some research on the other baseball games on the Wii and they all fell short. Hopefully, we will see a good baseball game on the Wii one day, but for now, just wait.[/quote]

[quote name='dim2192']The thing about MLB Power Pros is that its basically a Gamecube game on the Wii. Other than using your Miis, theres not many other Wii features.[/quote]

He didn't say "what baseball game takes full advantage of the Wii features".
It's "What's the best baseball game you can get for Wii".

And the answer is Power Pros hands down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKBAz9lKgFM

[quote name='DocRamon']
mlb power pros is the better game between the other two... better controls, tons of options, and much more fun... but it's not real players. i mean, it is, but they're cartoons. so it doesn't have that same 'sports game' sense that you'd find in something like madden. despite it being actual mlb teams and players, the whole thing, i think, feels like you're playing some wacky japanese anime game.

the bigs has the realism, but isn't as good of a game. it's not bad, but i wasn't completely impressed. difficult (non-intuitive) controls, less customization, and it feels more like work than fun.[/quote]

You're kidding, right? That's what adds to the charm, and honestly, is the best baseball/sports game I've ever played. Granted, I'm usually turned away from and don't play sports games, but then you get my point. The game is deep as hell.

The only real problem with it is that the stats need some fixing.

The Bigs? Realism? Right.

[quote name='EXStrike']
The Bigs? Realism? Right.[/QUOTE]

Some people prefer straight sims with as realistic graphics as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

But of course those people shouldn't be even considering buying sports games on the Wii, if realistic graphics is that important PS3 or 360 is the way to go for sports sims.

Thanks for all the input.

Is there any "expectation" for MLB 2008? i.e. previews/reviews, is it a crossover from a different game platform

As a new Wii-er, I'm of course enthralled by the controller. I'm also not by any extent a "gamer". Power Pros sounds good, but it would be nice to have more of the Wii Sports Baseball style interaction. Wii Sports just seems to simplistic.

take care,

Joe

[quote name='dmaul1114']Some people prefer straight sims with as realistic graphics as possible. Nothing wrong with that.[/quote]

The Bigs? Its not a sim, its an arcadey Slugfest kinda game.

Power Pros doesnt have realistic graphics. But if its a sim type baseball game your after, then its the game you want.

The characters may be cartoony, but many of them have the batting stances, animations, mannerisms, and skill sets of their real life counterparts.

This game is a port of the PS2 version, so the fact that it has wiimote controls of any kind is a bonus. Even the little there is, is more than whats in Wiisports baseball, although not as high quality.

graphically, the bigs is realistic and power pros is not... i didn't think i'd have to explain this...

some people aren't looking for cartoons playing baseball. they might "act" like real players, but if you're after the madden of baseball here, power pros isn't it. i want a game with the gameplay of power pros... the depth, the motion controls, etc... but the graphics of the bigs.

there isn't one. so, it's a trade-off...

both have motion controls, so that's been fulfilled... but would i rather have players that actually look like players at the expense of options and controls, or little toys playing a solid game of baseball.

personally, i like power pros better... but it's still not the game i want, and i've got friends that look at it and just don't understand because the players don't look like people.

it's the same people that look at wii sports and say "wtf? my guy doesn't have arms!"

[quote name='Puffa469']The Bigs? Its not a sim, its an arcadey Slugfest kinda game.

Power Pros doesnt have realistic graphics. But if its a sim type baseball game your after, then its the game you want.
[/QUOTE]

That's why I said one shouldn't be looking for sports games on the Wii if they want both sim games and realistic graphics. That's a genre the Wii is severly lacking in, and likely always will.

Better to go with a 360 or PS3 and the sports games on them if one wants sims with as realistic graphics as possible.

I have played both Power Pros and Bigs, and I enjoyed Power Pros much more on the Wii (Bigs is great on 360).

The only things I dislike in Power Pros are the annoying pronunciation of names (they say lots of names incorrectly), and the announcer in general. He repeats things far too often, and get overly excited on some things (you know what I mean, if you have played the game).

Granted, neither of those affect the actual gameplay, which is great. Just minor quips I had. Pick it up if you are looking for a fun baseball game on the Wii.

Hands down, MLB Power Pros.

I wrote a review over at GameSpot in the User Review section, if you want to check it out. But I don't recall having so much fun with a baseball game in a VERY long time.

My love for this game ended up with me importing Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 for my DS and snagging the Dreamcast edition of the Powapuro series.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a sequel with WiFi play. Or at least that when the MLB third-party exclusivity with 2K ends (this year?), Konami makes a run for the baseball market here in the States.

i'm looking forward to Mario Superstar Baseball Wii. i thought the gamecube one was pretty good. though it had some fatal flaws.
i'm betting that they can make this one good though. so i'm going to wait around for that.

What is the best Wii baseball game now?
MLB 2k10 has lousy graphics and is missing the same features as the 360/PS3 versions.
The Bigs 2 has its issues.

That's a good question. I wish they'd make an MLB game that didn't suck, I'd like to have a good baseball game for Wii, especially one with the MLB license. I almost hate to say this, but I wish EA had the MLB license, look at what they've done with Tigers Woods and to a lesser extent, Madden, on the Wii.

[quote name='rlse9']That's a good question. I wish they'd make an MLB game that didn't suck, I'd like to have a good baseball game for Wii, especially one with the MLB license. I almost hate to say this, but I wish EA had the MLB license, look at what they've done with Tigers Woods and to a lesser extent, Madden, on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

As some in this thread earlier pointed out the MLB PowerPros is a decent game except the cartoon players... I agree EA would probably do a better job than 2K sports for Wii baseball. If MLB 2k10 had all the features of the 360/PS3 versions it would be much better. I just bought MLB 2k10 after having 2k9 and I'm disappointed due to the graphics and the lack of features. I'll be waiting a while until someone produces a quality baseball game for Wii.

I really enjoy Mario Super Sluggers. I only have 2 complaints about it. The first may be more on me than the game, but I find it hard to hit home runs. The other is petty and it's that you can't change the handedness like you could in the first game. In this game, it's irrelevant but I'm a baseball fan so I always have to play certain players in certain spots (like lefty throwers can only play 1B or the OF in real life). But as I said, it's irrelevant in this game.

[quote name='icedrake523']I really enjoy Mario Super Sluggers. I only have 2 complaints about it. The first may be more on me than the game, but I find it hard to hit home runs. The other is petty and it's that you can't change the handedness like you could in the first game. In this game, it's irrelevant but I'm a baseball fan so I always have to play certain players in certain spots (like lefty throwers can only play 1B or the OF in real life). But as I said, it's irrelevant in this game.[/QUOTE]

Mario Super Sluggers is a fun game. The game play is not bad for a baseball game either. With the right players (DK, FK, etc) hitting home runs is manageable. Playing the story is fun too. You can't knock it for lacking MLB players etc, stat tracking, or realism. It serves its purpose. I'd like to see a new version of MLB Power Pros.

bread's done
Back